Australia Day - 26th January? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Australia Day - 26th January?

Should Austrlalia Day be on the 26th of January?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Djevv

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2005
NT
www.youtube.com
Then why is it on the anniversary of the day when the invasion happened and the colony was established?

You see, this is the problem with Jan 26, you may want to interpret the day differently but the fact is, the day is not random, it is a specific day commemorating a specific event.

I can do without confected nationalism too.

DS

Yep that is right. That’s where it all started. Modern Australia - warts and all. But there is lots to celebrate!

Who is confecting anything?

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Move Australia Day to Feb 20th for now as a holding Holiday until we have a Republic Day. To keep the Royalists happy, we can move Queens Birthday holiday to Jan 26th.

We could keep the honours on Queens Birthday by re-introducing Abbott's famous Captain's Pick and hand out Australian Knighthoods to Englishmen we aspire to be.

Everyone would be happy then

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Change it to the 2nd of January which is the day after the date we became a Federation, workers will get a better xmas, new year break.

Reactions: 1 user

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Stand still, dammit.

You want to take away January 26.

You don't care if there is an Australia Day or not
Stand still, dammit.- I have been totally consistent . My original post to Djevv was responding to Invasion Day protests being anti-Australian , it's others who have moved the discussion back to the date

You want to take away January 26.- No I don't , I want to move it which is totally different to taking it away

You don't care if there is an Australia Day or not- Didn't say that either . What I said was that I don't need a specific day to celebrate Australia and that's because I celebrate being Australian every day. I am incredibly grateful to be Australian which is why I care about it getting better and I have no problem with us having a National Day as long as it is on an appropriate day. I don't specifically need it but I can understand that it is important to some and that it's something most countries have.

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
If the so called “Invasion Day” gets to so many white descendants, would it be wrong for one to suggest they emigrate back to their countries of origin?
That way they can assuage their feelings of being “invaders”
Or maybe they can actually go To those Indigenous communities that need help. That could be a definitive act of goodwill and attrition rather that just hoist the “Invasion Day” placard or refuse to celebrate the day.
Do something rather meaningful than empty platitudes.
Just my thoughts anyway.

gehring

Tiger Rookie
Oct 16, 2006
WTF January 26 was not the day the first fleet landed ie 'invasion day' Not even the same month!
Australia Day January 26 refers to January 26 1949 when legislation was passed to recognise "Australian citizens" no longer "British citizens" for a passport.
Consequently any date can be called "invasion day" if that's your thing.
We should have a WIS day (Woe is me), where Indigenous grievers, climate change chicken little's, disability carers, anyone who thinks their genes may be inherently inferior to their neighbours, collingwood supporters, etc can all march and protest (should be 95% of the population).
I will stay at home and appreciate the luck country.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Happy for the 1st to be Australia Day and the 2nd to be New Year's Holiday. It's workable.
Yes I think it is too.
I'm a lot more proud of Australia becoming a Federation on 1 January 1901, than what I am of Australia becoming a British penal colony on 26 January 1788.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
WTF January 26 was not the day the first fleet landed ie 'invasion day' Not even the same month!
Australia Day January 26 refers to January 26 1949 when legislation was passed to recognise "Australian citizens" no longer "British citizens" for a passport.

Yeah nah. Jan 26th is when Cpt Philip came ashore. The citizenship changed on the same day because Australia Day was already being celebrated (uniformly across Aus since 1935) so they chose that day to start the Australian Citizenship.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
You don't care if there is an Australia Day or not- Didn't say that either . What I said was that I don't need a specific day to celebrate Australia and that's because I celebrate being Australian every day.
Still shifting around like a junkie in withdrawal.

You just want to tear down the institution of Australia Day - precisely the accusation you railed against in your first post on this topic. I don't generally like the phrase "un-Australian", but your attitude fits.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
We should have a WIS day (Woe is me), where Indigenous grievers, climate change chicken little's, disability carers, anyone who thinks their genes may be inherently inferior to their neighbours, collingwood supporters, etc can all march and protest (should be 95% of the population).
I will stay at home and appreciate the luck country.
Good rant. Pointless and factless, but good rant all the same.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
If the so called “Invasion Day” gets to so many white descendants, would it be wrong for one to suggest they emigrate back to their countries of origin?
That way they can assuage their feelings of being “invaders”
Or maybe they can actually go To those Indigenous communities that need help. That could be a definitive act of goodwill and attrition rather that just hoist the “Invasion Day” placard or refuse to celebrate the day.
Do something rather meaningful than empty platitudes.

Just my thoughts anyway.
Maybe many people who are protesting already do things to assist.
And it is not about casting modern day Australians as invaders, it is about acknowledging Australia's past. And understanding why Indigenous Australians may not want to celebrate the day the English landed.

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Maybe many people who are protesting already do things to assist.
And it is not about casting modern day Australians as invaders, it is about acknowledging Australia's past. And understanding why Indigenous Australians may not want to celebrate the day the English landed.

Maybe some do, but I’m betting not many.
A lot of people who “emigrated” back then didn’t have much choice in the matter either.

I believe most Australians do acknowledge our past. Just by changing a date won’t undo the historical wrongs. I think a fair bit has happened in the 230+ years since.

I’d rather a day we ALL come together and celebrate that fact and look to the future and what can be done to make the country better for ALL.
Some have an agenda to keep looking back, I’d rather see that effort put into making sure Indigenous people are better looked after in regard to health, education and closing other gaps that exist.
Just my opinion.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I’m comfortable with where it is and what it marks, but if it will put an end to protests etc and get everyone on the same page then I’m amenable to a change.
This is what you posted where you seem to be willing to “tear down the institution” as well.
How’s the withdrawal going for you?
You just want to tear down the institution of Australia Day - precisely the accusation you railed against in your first post on this topic. I don't generally like the phrase "un-Australian", but your attitude fits.
Reading some of the views that you have on this site actually makes me feel that being told that I am un-Australian by you is a compliment. I don’t want the Australia that you want and never will.

glantone

dog at the footy, punt rd end
Jun 5, 2007
Just thinking about Australia Day and beyond the partying for all that is good and acknowledging all our successes perhaps the real importance of this day is its role in developing a culture of tolerance and respect and shared responsibility for each other which will hold true when things go bad. A real sense of unity. So when we’re faced with extreme economic, social and political challenges - truly life challenging times we don’t turn on each other and tear each other apart or acquiesce to foreign belligerents. Australia, Anzac and Remembrance day are in the bigger scheme of things perhaps important cultural rituals in binding us so.

The protests will never stop. We’re divided on this issue. Maybe its time to follow the rest of the commonwealth and nut out a treaty. Finding the right day for Australia Day might come easy then.... or maybe not (hahaha)

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
Succession is the answer Glantone; a lot of people don’t want to be governed by Canberra. Self determination is surely valued higher than forced union?

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
This is what you posted where you seem to be willing to “tear down the institution” as well.
How’s the withdrawal going for you?

Reading some of the views that you have on this site actually makes me feel that being told that I am un-Australian by you is a compliment. I don’t want the Australia that you want and never will.
Dodge, duck, weave.

Whenever I concede ground on any issue (prefer to keep Jan 26, but willing to consider a change if it will bring peace) you *smile* perceive it as a weakness and attempt to twist the knife, yet you NEVER give a *smile* inch yourselves. I detest the left, as do many others. A measure of that revulsion is that many will fight you on this just to spite you. People have had enough of pushy minorities and identity politics.

• Love