Australian Economics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Australian Economics

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
Anyone have any idea about currencies? AUD is so weak at the moment, especially against the GBP. Any forecasts for improvement? I know China’s faltering economy isn’t helping much.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Anyone have any idea about currencies? AUD is so weak at the moment, especially against the GBP. Any forecasts for improvement? I know China’s faltering economy isn’t helping much.

Ask me in a bit over a month, currently in the UK and about to go to Italy for about 5 weeks, I'm sure everything is costing too much at the moment but that's life.

Can't see why it would improve and I have no influence. Most of the trade in the $AU is speculation anyway so with interest rates lower than the USA there is no reason for the $AU to get better.

DS

Reactions: 1 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Flew to Singapore last year, the morale of the Qantas flight attendants was terrible. The service on Qantas flights had been deteriorating for years, but the demeanour of the flight attendants on the flight was that of people who were fed up with how management were treating them.
It’s well known that a significant proportion of Qantas employees hate Joyce and consider that he has destroyed the brand. Certainly consumer satisfaction surveys parallel with that outlook.

We had that *** present as a guest speaker at a conference about 8 years ago. Stuffed if I know how he had time to fly to Melbourne, talk for 60 minutes and go back to Sydney whilst running the company, but obviously he had enough time up his sleeve to be on the speaker circuit and collect $20k a pop. Anyway, he openly bragged about cutting thousands of jobs and off shoring key safety and maintenance roles from Australia to Singapore and Malaysia.

At the end of his self praising bs, appx 2,000 people in the auditorium sat silent. No applause. Nothing. At one point I thought a few people were going to boo him.

Guy is a complete ****.

Reactions: 5 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
It’s well known that a significant proportion of Qantas employees hate Joyce and consider that he has destroyed the brand. Certainly consumer satisfaction surveys parallel with that outlook.

We had that *** present as a guest speaker at a conference about 8 years ago. Stuffed if I know how he had time to fly to Melbourne, talk for 60 minutes and go back to Sydney whilst running the company, but obviously he had enough time up his sleeve to be on the speaker circuit and collect $20k a pop. Anyway, he openly bragged about cutting thousands of jobs and off shoring key safety and maintenance roles from Australia to Singapore and Malaysia.

At the end of his self praising bs, appx 2,000 people in the auditorium sat silent. No applause. Nothing. At one point I thought a few people were going to boo him.

Guy is a complete ****.
It's no wonder the flight attendants morale is so low, some are full-time with a roster that allows them to know when they are working. They get annual leave, sick leave etc. All new flight attendants are employed as casuals (I'd imagine baggage handlers etc would be as well) they haven't got a decent roster, no annual leave or sick leave and being a casual would struggle to get a loan if they were on a single income.

Imagine working side by side on a flight to London or Singapore etc with someone who had much better conditions than you but are doing the same duties.

Alan Joyce is a grub.

Reactions: 3 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
It's no wonder the flight attendants morale is so low, some are full-time with a roster that allows them to know when they are working. They get annual leave, sick leave etc. All new flight attendants are employed as casuals (I'd imagine baggage handlers etc would be as well) they haven't got a decent roster, no annual leave or sick leave and being a casual would struggle to get a loan if they were on a single income.

Imagine working side by side on a flight to London or Singapore etc with someone who had much better conditions than you but are doing the same duties.

Alan Joyce is a grub.
Little wonder there’s an impending class action against Qantas. Joyce’s modus operandi is to absolute fleece, rip off and gorge his client base with complete contempt. The amount of outrageous, conniving, dishonest rip off attempts they’ve made on me and Snuppers over the years has been unreal. Ffs… they’ve even been hoarding flight slots around the country that they don’t use, simply so competitors can’t get access to them and in turn, create more competition, lower fares, more options for Australians.

Absolute *** of a company under Joyce.

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Little wonder there’s an impending class action against Qantas. Joyce’s modus operandi is to absolute fleece, rip off and gorge his client base with complete contempt. The amount of outrageous, conniving, dishonest rip off attempts they’ve made on me and Snuppers over the years has been unreal. Ffs… they’ve even been hoarding flight slots around the country that they don’t use, simply so competitors can’t get access to them and in turn, create more competition, lower fares, more options for Australians.

Absolute *** of a company under Joyce.
And he has the full support of Albanese.
Interestingly when summonsed to the Senate Committee on the Cost of Living he refused to disclose his talks with Albanese regarding barring Qatar Airlines application for more flights to and from Australia.

Maybe the Anti Corruption Watchdog should investigate. Meanwhile Australians are getting absolutely ripped off by Qantas all the while pumping nearly $3 billion into bailing them out.

I did hear that poonceyboy Joyce will get a severance pay of $24 million in December when he *smile* off. So much for government applying the screws on corporate CEO’s obscene pay levels. Depends on who you’re mates with.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
The AUD is the most volatile major currency on the planet. And most unpredictable. In a business that pays in USD and the daily fluctuations are huge. I've read heaps of forecasts over the years and they are invariably wrong. China/Commodity Prices/USD/AUD interest rate differential/World economic outlook......so many things influence the AUD.

10 years ago it was on parity with US. It's been as low as 55c/1 USD since. Mostly fluctuated between 0.70-0.80 AUD/1 USD.

Reactions: 1 user

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Would think this a pretty strong result in the current global economy.

Import enough people n the total economy grows a bit, but the reports are also saying that the per capita GDP is actually falling which means we're less productive n less profitable overall.

Reactions: 1 users

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
Treasurer Jim "Boy" Chalmers announces a $22.1 Billion surplus for last financial year. He is flogging the gullible Australian people as this surplus is gained by what they are raking in on the GST due to the extreme high petrol , goods purchased, alcohol .cigarettes , local air fares etc etc.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Treasurer Jim "Boy" Chalmers announces a $22.1 Billion surplus for last financial year. He is flogging the gullible Australian people as this surplus is gained by what they are raking in on the GST due to the extreme high petrol , goods purchased, alcohol .cigarettes , local air fares etc etc.
It’s actually commodity prices

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Doesn't all the GST go to the states?
So the GST raised would have absolutely zero effect on the budget Chalmers is taking about?
I’m not an expert on all the cash flows between the commonwealth and the states but as I recall the GST flows were meant to fund (amongst other things) the commonwealth share of state expenditure on health as part of the national health reform agreement. However there are always massive arguments about that and of course there is the perennial argument about the share which goes to WA which every other state thinks is too much.

Short answer is I don’t know but I am sure it is more complicated than that

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
See ya Goyder. Now just get him out of the AFL as well.

Another useless corporate chairman leeching themselves off everything.

Reactions: 6 users

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
See ya Goyder. Now just get him out of the AFL as well.

Another useless corporate chairman leeching themselves off everything.
It’s not like Qantas needed to do everything possible to get back good PR :mad:

Reactions: 2 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
It’s not like Qantas needed to do everything possible to get back good PR :mad:

Yeah. I’ve been there with them in that sort of respect ie changing plans because of illness, family situations etc and all they want to do is totally and utterly fleece you for the fact. Zero empathy. Just an opportunity to take advantage of people and outrageously gouge them. Pack of ****.