Australian Economics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Australian Economics

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
The man is a disgrace, if he wasn't one of Morrison's Pentecostal mates he surely would have lost preselection for his electorate.

Wow. Blatant and public and then treasurer. Not even a little slimy like he said 100/month when he was on a 75/month service - claimed 26k for a year.

Talk about some need for independent oversight and powers to punish.

How do we just not get these types of people into politics in the first place is the real question.

Reactions: 2 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Wow. Blatant and public and then treasurer. Not even a little slimy like he said 100/month when he was on a 75/month service - claimed 26k for a year.

How do we just not get these types of people into politics in the first place is the real question.
And he claims to be a god fearing man :mad:

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003

He has no shame.

2018​

• In April, Robert receives free tickets to Sanctuary Cove Boat Show. Five days after attending the Boat Show, he advocates in Parliament for the removal of GST on “charter” yachts while denying support for calls to remove GST from feminine hygiene products.

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Morrison's Pentecostal mate Stuart Robert should face criminal charges, or at least be forced to resign from politics, we know he wont.
After being told that Robodebt was unlawful, his response was to double down. If his response wasn't unlawful what is.
Stuart Robert is an immoral *smile* tigerman, and that extends far outside Robodebt

But despite not following the advice of the Solicitor General being immoral and stupid, unfortunately it is not a criminal offence. It was advice not law.

I can't remember who the person was I heard interviewed about it a few days ago but he was an ex senior commonwealth public servant and he said that it is actually quite unusual for a government to ignore advice from the Solicitor General.

Reactions: 1 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
LIke a lot of pentacostal christians including scomo he's a complete hypcrite.
Watching Stuart Robert being grilled at the robodebt RC this morning, he, just like Morrison has got the gift of the gab, a natural born liar.

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
LIke a lot of pentacostal christians including scomo he's a complete hypcrite.
Priests have been selling favours and pardons since the Middle Ages. Do what you want and get it paid off and be god fearing.

• Love
  • Angry

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
Watching Stuart Robert being grilled at the robodebt RC this morning, he, just like Morrison has got the gift of the gab, a natural born liar.

Yep whats gets me is that no-one in the media stands up to him.

Reactions: 1 user

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Yep whats gets me is that no-one in the media stands up to him.
Must have friends in the highest of places?

I have a friend who is a public servant in a reasonably senior position who fell under this clowns portfolio. He said the guy has brains but is bull at a gate and not a great listener. He doesn't like to hear about issues with a project or problems moving forward. Just get it done. All care and no responsibility.

He's dangerous.

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
  • Haha

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
This is a pretty cool infographic on the sheer size of the Stage 3 tax cuts. Worth a look.

It is an interesting graphic, but you can't tax an economy into prosperity, and it's wrong to think that higher taxes leads to higher Govt revenue.

Take a look at the corporate tax cuts introduced by Trump during his presidency. The critics were saying that this move was to directly help the rich. Those same people must have missed the debate where Trump claimed the whole system was rigged against the poorer people, because when he was asked by the commentator how he knew this, Trump responded by saying "Because i use it"!

The corporate tax cuts did not favour the "rich"! If they did, why is all of Wall St, and the corporate media which is owned by Wall St basically at war with the Trump movement?

Wall St companes do not pay tax the way you and i do. One might argue that once they've off shore'd almost all of their income and picked through every other loop hole available, they basically pay no tax at all.

On the other hand, the guy who lives two doors down from you who runs a small factory with 6 employees, pays his taxes in the local economy, so when he gets a tax break, he's suddenly in a position to employ a 7th person and start to grow. Of couse, if all these smaller companies are growing and employing, then the top end of town starts losing some of their market share.

The result, prior to the once in a 100 year virus, was that there was record employment of black, hispanics and women. The economy, had more revenue than it ever had because of the tax cuts. The funny thing is, that for some reason, people think that the government is going to spend their money more wisely than we'd spend it ourselves.

Now look at one of Biden's strategies to employ another 87000 IRS agents! How convenient, considering the way these agents have been used since Barrack Obama got into power! Even whistleblowers who are coming forwad now, are having the IRS turn up at their doorstep without the normal procedures that usually precede these visits.

For Biden to suggest he is going to boost Govt coffers by going after big companies with these agents is a downright lie.

If these agent go after big companies, they will lose more in court actions than they will gain through the tax investigations. That's what happens when you go after the big guys. If you go after the small guy with 6 people in his factory, he will smudge his undies and pay whatever he's told to pay. He can't afford to fight.

One of the reasons i have't been on these forums much of late is my involvement in a court action for a 9.6 million dollar fraud. This case has dragged from 2014, and revolves around a fraud from 1997 to 2014. The fraud squad has only investigated back 5 years for the 9.6mil. The estimate is that around 29 mill was taken, but had we kept goin gback, the cas would have never got into the court system. As it stands now, it's been adjourned so many bloody times it's mind numbing, with the next court appearance due in August this year. If the defendant decides to plead not guilty, we will likely have to wait a good 18 months to ge the case to trial, as it's estimated that it will tie a jury up for at least 8 weeks. The brief alone is over 3000 pages. There are 2000 charges in just those 5 years. This individual is even tied up in the Mayfair 101 debacle with the Dunk Island development.

The point i'm making is that this is a case against an individual who has stolen so much that he can afford to employ the services of an ex federal attourney general to defend his case. Look at the time and the money goin into this! Imagine going after a multi national!

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
On the system being rigged, that shouldn't be a surprise to anyone considering how the small people copped the 2008 fiancia lcrisis right up the (_(_) while the bankers who created it, walked away stupendously more wealthy.

Right now, if i look at the free market fundimentals, the SP500 should be heading south very quickly.

The daily chart says a correction should be happening pretty much right now, with a pull back towards the 390 point region. It's currently at a tick under 451.

Will it happen?

It should but i don't trust anything in longer term trading anymore. I literally hold no stocks over night, and hvent since about Feb last year.

On the flip side, i am wondering if there may be a market melt up starting to take place.

This doesnt affect my day trading which i normally do nightly, though in the last 2 weeks, Thursday was the only night i traded. One winner on ARFM of about $1.20 on 1000 shares, a loser on COIN 300 shares for a $1.47 loss, then a winner on COIN arond an hr into the market for a gain of just under $8 on 300 shares.

The first COIN trade was interesting as it opened in the perfect position just above the 'trap' zone. A stock will rarely drop right through this zone (i was long), but it did, and hit my stop loss just under that zone. It took almost an hr to rally back and get above the previous days trap zone ( price action for the last hr of the previous day), so i took basically the same trade again, and it ran for me.

So all of this still works fine for a day trader, but i'm not looking to hold shares in the near future long term. I'm looking to hit gold and siler pretty hard maybe in 2024 IF interest rates in the US start to come back as predicted, though in my opinion they probably won't.

The US is sort of jammed between controlling inflation and toppling their banking system right now. The higher interest rates go, the lower the value of Govt debt securities (bonds). These are a long term investment so if people are drawing on the banks and they have to start selling these bonds well before maturity then they are taking a loss on their investment.

The issues with the Silicon Bank balance sheet should have been picked up by the regulatory bodies, but that assumes that these people are actually doin their job and not spending their time sipping coffee and waiting for the next p!ss up, which is basically what is happening in every bureaucracy. Thisis exactly why 2008 happened. It is exactly why the individual i was discussing in my last post is still on the streets and not in Beechworth, as i had reported him to both ASIC and the ATO a decade before they finally acted. It was only when he did a 500k fraud on the ATO that they listened to me. Nothing happened wilst he ws ripping individuals.

Another example.

In the last 2 years i was contracted to save a country business that is in roadside assist. It is one of the largest provisers in rural Vic. We were having issues with a tow truck driver who was usin gthe truck for private tows, and even using it for a rival business. The difficulty getting staff was the only reason he was still on. We gave him his first written warning, so he runs to Worksafe for stress leave.

He wins his case and then we notice al lthe vehicle trackers for the other drivers congregate at his address in the following evenings.. Sure enough, 3 more drivers put in cases, all back injuries. One of these was a woman with a pre-existing condition that she says had flared up again on the job. The case manager from Worksafe can see as well as we can what is going on, but Worksafe contrats all these assessments out.

Despite this woman saying she couldnt sit for more than 10 minutes, going on a flight to QLD, and despite the reports from the other two drivers giving the time of the injury (slipping on the tray) being proven as bogis (calls to the clients who in both cases said they were present and nothing unusual happened with ther driver.

In addition to this, our stess leave driver has been bragging to a few other drivers he tried to talk into making clains, that he's doing cash work for this same rival company.

We have all this is statements, but it's so much easier for this company contracted by Worksafe to rubber stamp, and collect their money that all these cases are approved.

Here is another example.

When i got back fro mthe US as a teenager 18 yrs old, after 2 accounting jobs in 12 mnoths, i ended up at a life office. (i won't go into why these two jobs lasted such a short period, other than t osay something fro mthe US basically followed me bck home).

I spent 6 years there, the first 3 months as a clerk before going into management. I returned in 1994 to head upa project. I was on contract. In going through some reports, i noticed large amounts of money coming into a Revenue account. These amounts were all paid in from a Suspense account. When i traced the suspense account, i found that it was the preserved portion of Superannuation from clients who'd left service of their employer. Basically they'd been paid out their pre component (super from before 22/12/1986 but a letter had been sentto them asking for them to nominate a superfund for their preserved portion which could not be cashed out until retirement.

Like most people with super, they likely had no idea what the letter even meant, so ignored it. So this money that was held in suspense waiting for a reply was eventually cleared to revenue by some lazy pen pusher.

I brought this to the attention of one of te managers and they frankly couldnt give a sh!te. So amounts of thousands of dollars in peoples money (in 1990's currency) just got lost in the system. I know it was never followed up.

I don't want to dump on white collar workers, but FMD there is a hell of a lot of dead wood out there getting paid big bucks.

• Sad

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010

According to Mr Llewellyn-Smith, GDP per capita “used to be a much more important measure than GDP for policymakers”, because it measures how your living standards are performing.

“But, in these post-truth days, your living standards have taken a back seat to the needs of toxic politicians who would rather you not know when you are getting poorer,” he continued.

In the good old days, pollies would cut immigration numbers during downturns. This mitigated the impact of a downturn on Australian living standards.

But after 2012, during the great mining bust, the Coalition government kept its foot on the immigration accelerator for the first time during a downturn.

I have been saying that for years! GDP per capita a far more materially important measure than simple, dumbed down GDP.

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley

According to Mr Llewellyn-Smith, GDP per capita “used to be a much more important measure than GDP for policymakers”, because it measures how your living standards are performing.

“But, in these post-truth days, your living standards have taken a back seat to the needs of toxic politicians who would rather you not know when you are getting poorer,” he continued.

In the good old days, pollies would cut immigration numbers during downturns. This mitigated the impact of a downturn on Australian living standards.

But after 2012, during the great mining bust, the Coalition government kept its foot on the immigration accelerator for the first time during a downturn.

I have been saying that for years! GDP per capita a far more materially important measure than simple, dumbed down GDP.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Alan Joyce. What a ####. $24m exit payment for turning Qantas into a prick of a company and whose profits (most of them minimal until now) were always propped by government protectionism, Covid fleecing and ripping Australians blind.

### off and leave Joyce.

Reactions: 7 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Alan Joyce. What a ####. $24m exit payment for turning Qantas into a prick of a company and whose profits (most of them minimal until now) were always propped by government protectionism, Covid fleecing and ripping Australians blind.

### off and leave Joyce.
And has treated Qantas employees disgracefully too, they should revoke the pricks citizenship.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004

### off and leave Joyce.
Won’t fly them. Virgin only domestic, anyone else internationally. Used to fly them only.

Service is a disgrace and Joyce’s smug know it all attitude turns people off.

Reactions: 2 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Won’t fly them. Virgin only domestic, anyone else internationally. Used to fly them only.

Service is a disgrace and Joyce’s smug know it all attitude turns people off.
Flew to Singapore last year, the morale of the Qantas flight attendants was terrible. The service on Qantas flights had been deteriorating for years, but the demeanour of the flight attendants on the flight was that of people who were fed up with how management were treating them.