Bachar Houli - بشار حولي, | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Bachar Houli - بشار حولي,

FitenFitenWin

Listen to the thunder RFC
Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane
With Dave and Cotchin - one of the cultural leaders of this great group. Now we’ve lost two of them. Time to step up Dusty, Dan, Vlossy and Graham.

This one really hurts - can’t stop welling up.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Part of the best backline I've ever seen. Speaking of which, our backline doesn't get anywhere near the recognition it should have gotten over the years. The media talk about individual players, but collectively, they ignore the best overall backline that I've ever seen.

• Love
Reactions: 21 users

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
There is much to be proud of about supporting this club.

But Bachar is special, and I have been proud to support a club with Bachar playing for it.

Bloody sad to know that I won't be able to watch him again. Although I doubt Bachar will slip away - he is destined for greater things in Australia.

Reactions: 6 users

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Part of the best backline I've ever seen. Speaking of which, our backline doesn't get anywhere near the recognition it should have gotten over the years. The media talk about individual players, but collectively, they ignore the best overall backline that I've ever seen.

Spot on
Bachars highlight reel was great too and it showed some great goals but his tough defensive work was magnificent to watch too - more so probably because it was a part of his game that he really worked on over the years.

Reactions: 3 users

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Bachar fronting up for this interview the morning after our 2017 triumph is one of my favourite memories!

(The Designated Sober!)

• Love
Reactions: 7 users

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
We saw amazing growth in Bachar the footballer.

I remember a game against Essendon years ago where Bachar fumbled under pressure near the boundary line, the bomber player got it and kicked a winning goal. I remember the EF against Port, Bachar streaming through the middle, bounced the ball and it went over his shoulder. It summed up the game. It also summed up 30+ years of club misery.

I would never have guessed back then he would grow into a brave, reliable, A-grade defender. Performed on the big stage for 4-years straight. He became the ultimate weapon with exquisite skills and decision making. A triple premiership player.

What a remarkable individual.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014

Because in 2017, in the media’s eyes it was all just Rance. They forget that Houli and Grimes then made AA and Short won a BnF.

Reactions: 1 users

Aegean Tiger

Tiger Superstar
Aug 27, 2008
Bachar has left a profound and enduring legacy of cross cultural acceptance and understanding not only for our great club and the AFL but Australian society more broadly. Another wonderful servant and even better human being departs our club (and backline). May peace be upon you brother....and make sure you leave some fish for me!

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

Mopsy

"I can feel Tigermania flowing through my veins"
Jan 9, 2005
Brisbane
Just an out and out sensational human being, who also happened to be great at football.

Cheers for everything Bachar, you will remain forever in our minds and our hearts.

Well played sir.

Reactions: 2 users

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Will never forget the almighty noise when he kicked our second goal in the 2017 grand final.

Not sure any of us turned up on grand final day confident we would beat Adelaide. The Crows were clear favourites, albeit there was a feeling that if things clicked for the Tiges on the day, we were a decent chance. So when Adelaide burst out of the blocks with two early goals, there was an anxious feeling among the Tiger army. You could just feel it.

The Caddy goal was a steadier, to calm the nerves. So yes there was a bit of bite to the roar from the crowd (our first goal in a grand final for 35 years will do that). But still a bit of reserved nervousness in it. However it was the passage of play where Dusty beat off two, wobbled a kick perfectly to bounce in front of Bachar, running into the perfect spot to sprint onto it and slammed it home on the run from 40m out. *smile* me did that lift the roof! And at that moment you got this indescribable feeling that we were clicking and were on. I was in a black and yellow section and that was the moment there were people jumping up and down, rollicking in the aisles with a mashup of fist pumps flying hazardously around the air. 37 years of pent up anticipation beginning to escape in an explosion of limbs.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 15 users

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Did Dimma send essendrugs a boutique of flowers?
How can we ever thank them for screwing this one up.

Spirit of Jack

Only a Tiger premiership can make 2020 a good year
Apr 19, 2004
Did Dimma send essendrugs a boutique of flowers?
How can we ever thank them for screwing this one up.
A real sliding doors moment, if I recall, Hird was just coming on board and was desperately trying to keep Bachar - but he'd been too burnt by his early years there.

Reactions: 1 user

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
A special player, who lifted himself to champion status through force of will.
Two memories.
The 2017 GF goal.
The 2017 (or was it 19) Prelim bullet pass down the wing after a total defense mop up involving just about everyone. It got rapturous applause.

A Richmond legend.

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
THANK YOU, Bachar
Your contribution to the Club, your team mates and the wider community has been amazing.
Beautiful human being and champion footballer.
Will always be my Norm Smith in the 2017 GF

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
The thing about Bachar is that because of his platform he has done more for relations with our Islamic Australians that just about anyone else.
He still has a massive role to play in that process and I am sure he will do so.
Thanks Bachar.
As someone else said his goal in the 2017 grand final was one I could watch over and over and again. Chills
That’s the power of sport for to good right there. His contribution to understanding and acceptance may end up bigger than his contribution to the tigers. And he won 3 flags and almost 2 norm smiths.

I see Sydney Stack as having a similar influence in time. I think he has an important role to play in the reconciliation and healing process between indigenous and non-indigenous. There’s something special about Syd.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Jeez, even more than Dave I feel robbed that we don't get to give this champion a proper send-off in person.

An amazing contribution on and off-field. A true Tiger great.
as we don't have a flag to unfurl next year, surely first home game is the send off. Not perfect but would be so deserved.