Bachar Houli - بشار حولي, | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Bachar Houli - بشار حولي,

theglove3

Tiger Champion
Jun 3, 2003
Thanks Bash.
Wonderful player. Wonderful citizen.
Thanks for the great joy you gave us.

And a special Thanks to The Golden Boy James Hird for making it all possible!

Reactions: 3 users

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
As suggested in an earlier post I think Bashar should be invited to join the Richmond board. I can not think of anyone better qualified to do so.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Part of the best backline I've ever seen. Speaking of which, our backline doesn't get anywhere near the recognition it should have gotten over the years. The media talk about individual players, but collectively, they ignore the best overall backline that I've ever seen.
Rance, Astbury, Grimes, Houli, Vlastuin, Broad, Ellis/Short/Baker. An all-time great of the game, at least three more champions of their time and the rest very good players. Magnificent.

One of my favourite Bachar moments came in the 2017 grand final when he beat Sloane in a contested ball at half-back, kept going and worked it up the line and eventually out of bounds. Nothing flash, just resolute determination to deliver exactly what was needed in the moment.

Reactions: 5 users

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
Rance, Astbury, Grimes, Houli, Vlastuin, Broad, Ellis/Short/Baker. An all-time great of the game, at least three more champions of their time and the rest very good players. Magnificent.

One of my favourite Bachar moments came in the 2017 grand final when he beat Sloane in a contested ball at half-back, kept going and worked it up the line and eventually out of bounds. Nothing flash, just resolute determination to deliver exactly what was needed in the moment.
I loved that goal in the first quarter in 2017 gf I think Dusty gave it to him spark's us up bigtime. His 2017 and 2019 final series was our second best after Martin.

His guided Stack , Mansell and helped Rioli transition to the backline and it shows.Hard to replace calibre of person he is.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

5SKULL5

What stands in the way, becomes the way!
Dec 20, 2004
Melbourne
Houli Douli! Well played Bachar , you Ivan and grigga really changed the culture at our beloved Club. Enormous contribution on and off, I thank you.

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Ahh Bashar. The man, the player, the leader.
We thank you for the enormous contribution you’ve made to our club.
May peace and happiness walk alongside you.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Two blokes who have had a major impact on building our great culture have retired. If any of the current generation can be half as good as either of these people we’ll have done well. Bash goes out as a champion of the game, and will be fondly remembered by all for what he did on the field and what he did and will continue to do off it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
If he'd failed for the cost of a pick in the 40's, nobody would've been too surprised. But as his hair sank to his chin and he overtook Jimmy Jess for the most famous beard in Tiger history, he transitioned from whipping boy to hero. Not many have done that; a bit like Kevin Walsh at Essendon in the 80's.

Wanted to play on the wing but accepted his backline commission where his deficiencies sometimes stood out, but he overcame them to become an All-Australian and star in grand finals. And obviously a club-oriented decision to finish with after saying publicly that he wanted to play on.

Reckon he could start a thriving business selling beard offcuts to Tiger members. Throw in a signed photo, job done. And it's renewable.

Bachar.jpg
20170930235645398_1.jpg
AA220219DB_0501-1024x706.jpg

Well played, Bachar.

Reactions: 9 users

JR8

Tiger Legend
Apr 23, 2003
Melbourne - Eastern Subs
Bachar, put simply you are a *smile* ing LEGEND!

A statue needs to eventually be erected of you next to Dimma, Benny, Peggy, Cotch, Dusty & Jack.

You were a beautiful piece of the RFC puzzle and I've got not doubt without you we don't win any of those 3 Flags.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Not wanting to be a hypocrite I will openly state that I was definitely not a fan of the TIgers recruiting Bash because of obvious deficiencies in his game, at the time and took quite a long time to warm to him.

Now that admission is out of the way, I feel free to comment.

An unassuming, humble and truly professional player, and off field a cultural leader, sounding board, and strong character.

Over the years he grew as a player and a cultural stalwart of the club.

This week has seen two Modern era great Tigers hand their commissions back to the RFC and their Guernseys which were carried with distinction on the biggest of stages.

Bash ..... I take my hat off and thank you for efforts and for what you have helped the RFC achieve and even moreso helped to instill a culture and way within the club that will continue for many years to come.

His efforts in 2017 and 2019 on the greatest of stages were obviously the highlights of his career personally and his run from half back at his peak was a major weapon for the side and required endurance and effort not many could provide, nor opponents stop.

His goal in the 2017 GF was a classic moment and one that has become immortalised in that picture for all time in the Tiger Archives.

His professionalism to avail himself to the media on all fronts following the Grand Final Victories particularly 2017 due to his faith disallowing him to drink whilst all others were no doubt very very worse for wear was a moment of leadership, that I would hazard a guess he took upon himself, and it was during those 4 years of Tiger Domination that his leadership standing at the club became more evident, again the same as with Dave and Alex and Trent, Shane and Jack.

As with Dave we have lost 2 senior stalwarts and leaders s of the RFC this week whom were huge contributors to the shift of the club off field and ultimately key pillars to its success on field, franked with Premiership Medals and a place in AFL History.

Congratulations once again to Bash on his career with and his impact upon the RFC.

Bachar Houli #14 A Richmond Man! Always A Tiger!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 22 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
as we don't have a flag to unfurl next year, surely first home game is the send off. Not perfect but would be so deserved.

Yep hopefully Bash and Dave get a true Tiger thank You and send off from the Tiger Army next year at the first Home Game and first Opportunity.

Tiger fans would love to say thank you and goodbye to these 2 Club Greats.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
If he'd failed for the cost of a pick in the 40's, nobody would've been too surprised. But as his hair sank to his chin and he overtook Jimmy Jess for the most famous beard in Tiger history, he transitioned from whipping boy to hero. Not many have done that; a bit like Kevin Walsh at Essendon in the 80's.

Wanted to play on the wing but accepted his backline commission where his deficiencies sometimes stood out, but he overcame them to become an All-Australian and star in grand finals. And obviously a club-oriented decision to finish with after saying publicly that he wanted to play on.

Reckon he could start a thriving business selling beard offcuts to Tiger members. Throw in a signed photo, job done. And it's renewable.

View attachment 13114
20170930235645398_1.jpg
AA220219DB_0501-1024x706.jpg

Well played, Bachar.
Didn't Rioli baulk him twice and win goal of the year in that game??

Birdman19

Plodder
Apr 16, 2009
Wishing you the very best for the future, Bach. You are the embodiment of what is the truly the best in human beings. You are a truly authentic person who Is kind, humble, caring and a magnificent model for football, your faith and the wider community. The RFC backline, and not to mention the club, will miss miss your guidance and influence. I am hoping to see you in that Hall of Fame in the near future. May you continue to inspire people to become the best version of themselves.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users

ILUVDISCO

Tiger Rookie
Oct 20, 2009
I have Bash in the same class as Neale Daniher, determined, compassionate, courageous, enormously admirable men.
Deserves to go out on the shoulders of his teammates in front of a packed MCG. Thank you Bash

Reactions: 5 users

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
The gift from Essendon that kept on giving to the Tigers. A wonderful servant to our club, our culture, the community and to the game. I reckon he has made the right decision but hope he keeps a connection with the Tigers as we need people like him at Punt Road.
Good luck Bachar and hope the future gives everything he wants

Mr T.

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 11, 2007
Melbourne
Thank you Bach. That 2017 goal still gives me joy.
I will forever be grateful that you played on in 2020 GF with an injury.
Go well into the future.

Reactions: 6 users

jackfrost

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2007
Los Angeles, California
Not wanting to be a hypocrite I will openly state that I was definitely not a fan of the TIgers recruiting Bash because of obvious deficiencies in his game, at the time and took quite a long time to warm to him.

Now that admission is out of the way, I feel free to comment.

An unassuming, humble and truly professional player, and off field a cultural leader, sounding board, and strong character.

Over the years he grew as a player and a cultural stalwart of the club.

This week has seen two Modern era great Tigers hand their commissions back to the RFC and their Guernseys which were carried with distinction on the biggest of stages.

Bash ..... I take my hat off and thank you for efforts and for what you have helped the RFC achieve and even moreso helped to instill a culture and way within the club that will continue for many years to come.

His efforts in 2017 and 2019 on the greatest of stages were obviously the highlights of his career personally and his run from half back at his peak was a major weapon for the side and required endurance and effort not many could provide, nor opponents stop.

His goal in the 2017 GF was a classic moment and one that has become immortalised in that picture for all time in the Tiger Archives.

His professionalism to avail himself to the media on all fronts following the Grand Final Victories particularly 2017 due to his faith disallowing him to drink whilst all others were no doubt very very worse for wear was a moment of leadership, that I would hazard a guess he took upon himself, and it was during those 4 years of Tiger Domination that his leadership standing at the club became more evident, again the same as with Dave and Alex and Trent, Shane and Jack.

As with Dave we have lost 2 senior stalwarts and leaders s of the RFC this week whom were huge contributors to the shift of the club off field and ultimately key pillars to its success on field, franked with Premiership Medals and a place in AFL History.

Congratulations once again to Bash on his career with and his impact upon the RFC.

Bachar Houli #14 A Richmond Man! Always A Tiger!
OK, firstly, Thanks Craigy for reading my mind, you have saved me quite a bit of typing this evening, as we think very very much alike in this instance.

Like yourself, I was totally pissed beyond reason when we obtained Bash from the Don's, he wasn't the "type" of player I thought we needed or could help our situation back then.

Never have I been more wrong about a Footballer than I was regarding Bash and never happier to admit it, watching what he grew into, not just the Footballer, but the person that we all absolutely admire beyond words almost.

Its very rare that an entire fanbase has the same feelings for a player over a long journey, there's usually always a low point somewhere along the road, but not with this bloke, he just continued to improve year after year and lead by sheer will to become a leader on and off the field that we all are so very proud to call a Tiger Champion.

Loved the BIG Games and was always the one early on to be right there to start the ball rolling, never one to wait for "someone else" to turn the key, I will miss his composure and LEFT FOOT immensley, but my, what wonderful memories you have left us with.

Continued success with the Foundation and life outside of Football and Thank You for proving me 100% incorrect, I've loved every second of it.