Back to 20 min 1/4s, floating fixture :( | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Back to 20 min 1/4s, floating fixture :(

I dont like the floating fixture from a personal perspective but do not understand the paranoia.
20 mins quarters is the win - Kane Lambert will be celebrating tonight.
Run tigers run....we do it better than anyone.
some of us travel to all games & book flights, accomodation, days off etc in the week after the draw is released

Reactions: 1 user
In this case I think they are both the same.

The AFL wants broadcast money and the broadcasters want the best games in the most lucrative timeslots.

They don't want a fixture set that has a team that is expected to play well who end up being putrid and are stuck on 5 Friday night games.

It's done in a lot of sports internationally, personally I like it, there's nothing worse than a woeful stand alone night game.

so they'll continually fixture in-form teams against Richmond, for example?

so they'll continually fixture in-form teams against Richmond, for example?

No. The teams we play are set by round and that won't change. They will set the exact day/time slot closer to the date however.

Reactions: 1 users
Good move by the AFL. Some inconvenience for interstate travellers but worth it to avoid dud games in marquee slots.

some of us travel to all games & book flights, accomodation, days off etc in the week after the draw is released
I understand and are sympathetic to that taz. I attend every Melbourne game and a couple interstate of which I enjoy the weekend away.... I was more talking from any AFL bias against Richmond perrspective

For example pre-season you would schedule Richmond v North Melbourne in round 14 as a Sunday afternoon dead zone game but if by some miracle North won their first 10 games straight they could announce it will be on Friday night, instead of Geelong and West Coast, who were predicted to be strong but are both 2-8.
One thing you could guarantee is it would be at Marvel.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
17 clubs will be sooking and moaning about the news of longer qtrs.
Teams couldn't keep up with us with 16 minute qtrs.
Our percentage next year might hit the 180 mark.
We will destroy sides after half time.
I haven't seen any changes to any othet club that will help them stop our run domination.
West Coast and Geelong will face the horror how good we are over 100 minutes not 80.

I sort of accept a floating fixture when it’s a 17 round season so theres less chance for dodgy decision making but in a 22 round season it doesn’t make sense - they can manipulate that back end of the season on who you play twice.

I actually like the 17 round season and you just alternate with each team being the home team every second year - I could cope with less games but I hated the shorter quarters.

I do miss going over the whole schedule when it’s released and then watching the form of teams you have in front of you during the season - it’s another tradition the AFL have turfed so they can appease the networks.

Same when they delayed announcing the teams till 7 news - a little tradition of travelling home and hearing the teams is now lost.

There just little things but they do add up.

No. The teams we play are set by round and that won't change. They will set the exact day/time slot closer to the date however.

oh I get it. I thought it was like this year's fixturing.

Forget the trade& draft period, this is the biggest off season win for any club. This is a Richmond jackpot.

Time to rack up some percentage as we pump teams in the final 5 mins of qtrs.

It's a possibility though as they're going to remain a very old team. Nine 30yo's today plus Blicavs/Rohan/Duncan joining them early in the season.

Menegola/Guthrie/Dalhaus/Stewart/Cameron are regulars at 28/29 when the season starts. Almost their starting 18 at 28yo+.

Longer quarters/reduced rotations, who knows.
Pensioners paradise.
Last years prelim they played half a game of good footy. This years Granny with shortened qtrs, they played less than half a decent game of footy.
Next year with full length qtrs plus a cut to the rotations, I won't be surprised to see the moggies struggle to run out games properly.
Home ground advantage will help them plus I'd still expect them to beat up on lesser quality sides during the year. But I've got a feeling they'll struggle badly against the finals contenders next year, reckon the good sides will work them over big time.

You could also make a pretty good case for the opposite TM.

Shorter quarters this year meant the running speeds remained high and the intensity of the game was up. Longer quarters and reduced rotations next year leads to more fatigue, more contested ball, which suits the mature bodies.
Shorter qtrs meant that lots more players could run harder for more of the available time, which meant far more congestion around the ball.
More fatigue should mean much bigger gaps for the players to run through, or at least that's what K.B. and a few others have been screaming about for years. Our game's based on relentless two way running, the Moggies more on precision and control until an opening is created.
Pretty sure our mob has plenty of proper mature bodies, unlike the Moggies which has a Dad's army of old age pensioners. There is a subtle difference which has been highlighted by both sides performances during our last two finals.

I sort of accept a floating fixture when it’s a 17 round season so theres less chance for dodgy decision making but in a 22 round season it doesn’t make sense - they can manipulate that back end of the season on who you play twice.

I actually like the 17 round season and you just alternate with each team being the home team every second year - I could cope with less games but I hated the shorter quarters.

I do miss going over the whole schedule when it’s released and then watching the form of teams you have in front of you during the season - it’s another tradition the AFL have turfed so they can appease the networks.

Same when they delayed announcing the teams till 7 news - a little tradition of travelling home and hearing the teams is now lost.

There just little things but they do add up.

Read back, the teams we play and what round will be known at the start of the season.

Agree with you on Thursday night teams - hopefully that makes a return next season as well.

It will mean that every round past round 6 will be announced the way the final round has been for the last few years.

The 9 games listed but no day or time until later.

Are they also going to announce the venue. or at least whether it is home or away?

This would make it a bit easier for interstate travellers.

Just hope we get less Thursday night games, can't stand Thursday nights, game starts early and I have to work the next day.

DS

Pleased to see 20m quarters again but the fixture is a worry.

Why the "floating fixture"? Makes planning for those travelling to or from games interstate more difficult.
Plus those that have to organise time off work to attend games. If anyone puts in for holidays at all next yr i'll be screwed.

• Angry