Back to 20 min 1/4s, floating fixture :( | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Back to 20 min 1/4s, floating fixture :(

No worries for us, we'd be happy to play any length of quarter against anyone, anywhere.

But I reckon Geelong will also be pretty happy with the longer quarters and the reduced rotations, I'd have that as their best case scenario with the profile of their list.

Almost an AFL conspiracy to help them out....... ;)

Hey Big Richo - why is that - favours the cats that is - just curious as I thought the opposite

My main fear was 16 less minutes of watching Dusty per game

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
In this case I think they are both the same.

The AFL wants broadcast money and the broadcasters want the best games in the most lucrative timeslots.

They don't want a fixture set that has a team that is expected to play well who end up being putrid and are stuck on 5 Friday night games.

It's done in a lot of sports internationally, personally I like it, there's nothing worse than a woeful stand alone night game.
No it is *smile*. It’s fine if money and planning are not an issue. I work my roster around the footy season and have for almost 25 years. I can’t do that if I dont know when we are playing.

Reactions: 1 users
20 minute qtr's will benefit us more than others but reckon we will play the 2 ruckman

Yes, I'm sure the initial draw will show all of that. It will just be the specific time and day that will be announced closer.

So for an interstate game if you were arriving by Friday arvo and leaving Sunday night then you'd be pretty safe most times given there won't be many Thursday after the early season games.

It's all speculation and generalisation of course but what we saw from the gps data last year was that in reduced quarters intensity was up and duration was down. Basically the reduced playing time and increased rests allowed players to run faster for higher percentages of game time and they also covered much less distance overall.

If you ask an older player what they would most like the game to be they would generally say slower and more contested and the longer the better. (Talking in terms of actually playing footy there, in terms of recovery they would say the shorter the better!).

The reasons for that are pretty simple. Older guys have lots of training years under their belts so they hold high levels of muscle development and general strength and their aerobic capacity has been honed over those years as well. They are also usually mentally strong and able to tolerate lots of discomfort.

So in my opinion, if you drop rotations and go back to 20 minutes of game time the older guys are going to have a playing advantage because they will be better equipped to deal with the inevitable fatigue and very comfortable in a physical grind. Take Jack Riewoldt for example. He is going to be very uncomfortable playing on a 24 year old centre half back who can close him down on the lead and jump over him in contests, but he will be very comfortable taking the same player to centre half back and back to the goal square 40 times a game and blowing him up over 95% of game time.

To my thinking the first thing that will go this year will be a decrease in intense running which is a tick for older players. The second thing is players will have to stay more positional in lieu of being able to rest which is likely to create more contests forward of the ball, another tick for older players, and thirdly players will have to cover more distance each week, another tick for older players.

The big x factor of course is injury and durability. Older players may well find recovery much more difficult and injuries more apparent due to the impact on recovery and rest and that's the big disadvantage for them in returning to longer quarters. Every club would back themselves to manage those situations but as we all know often things go wrong.

I definitely sympathise with people who are in your boat and need to know which day to book off so they can attend the footy.

I grew up in the country and night games were just about impossible to attend so I understand the impact a made for TV game has on the punters.

It's a hard balance because 80% of the money in the game comes from the TV rights so without those deals we would all be paying a heck of a lot more money for a seat at the game each week.
Yes & No, if TV rights stopped now then yes, if we never had massive TV deals then the players would get paid *smile* & we would be paying similar.

Who drove the TV rights deals ??, yes the bonus driven CEO's I would guess

Reactions: 1 user
In this case I think they are both the same.

The AFL wants broadcast money and the broadcasters want the best games in the most lucrative timeslots.

They don't want a fixture set that has a team that is expected to play well who end up being putrid and are stuck on 5 Friday night games.

It's done in a lot of sports internationally, personally I like it, there's nothing worse than a woeful stand alone night game.
Yep I don't mind it. Mainly affects those who like to travel to interstate games.

Not as bad as I thought it might be, hopefully TBR is correct and we know our opponents for all 22 rounds before the season starts, along with whether we are home or away and just the time and day are unknown.

DS

Time to rack up some percentage as we pump teams in the final 5 mins of qtrs.
If we had the extra five minutes, we would be in front of Geelong at half time, 4 goals up at 3/4 time and 80 points at the end of the game.

Floating fixture suits the TV audience very well, not so good for us who work and travel , just like COVID could be secret way of saving money

But I reckon Geelong will also be pretty happy with the longer quarters and the reduced rotations, I'd have that as their best case scenario with the profile of their list.
Won't suit the Clench at all. He's been bossin his opinion as the AFLPA goober n seemed very negative in regard to extending the qtrs back to normal time n cutting rotations. Claims it's gunna cause serious issues for players. Got no idea what the *smile* he's worried about, only plays half a good game when it's serious n wears himself out gobbin off about how good he is at genuine super star players. Then conveniently disappears up his own clacker. His mate Duckwood has been reduced to throwing himself headlong at as many contests he can shuffle along to n then bleating at the umpires that he's entitled to a free every time he's touched.
Good sides willing to work hard both ways and bring plenty of heat are able to force the Moggies into far to much sideways, backwards n round about keeping off precision footy. It unravels under extreme duress over the course of a four qtr game.

Reactions: 3 users
Floating fixture suits the TV audience very well, not so good for us who work and travel , just like COVID could be secret way of saving money
Another drum roll event for the AFL.
They’ve turn draft day into a circus.
Goals get reviewed so we can celebrate them twice now.
Why not the fixture? Make a night of it.
Stretch it out for 3 hours as each game is reviewed by the smartest analysts in the game.

Watching Punt Road to Glory tapes, we were written off in the lions, port and geelong games by Bruce several times.
All I can say is:
How Sweet!
The Champs are still standing.!
What only the toughest and strongest can do!

Another drum roll event for the AFL.
They’ve turn draft day into a circus.
Goals get reviewed so we can celebrate them twice now.
Why not the fixture? Make a night of it.
Stretch it out for 3 hours as each game is reviewed by the smartest analysts in the game.
Yeah, every month a new special, announcing the next block of games. Brad Johnson can grin like a *smile* moron for the whole 3 hours.

• Haha
Not as bad as I thought it might be, hopefully TBR is correct and we know our opponents for all 22 rounds before the season starts, along with whether we are home or away and just the time and day are unknown.

DS
I am thinking that AFL were keen on the festival of footy concept again in 21. Floating fixture would give them the breathing space to sort that out. Hence I would not be over confident that you could assume that in Any round we play between a Friday and Sunday. Could be Wed or Monday.

I am thinking that AFL were keen on the festival of footy concept again in 21. Floating fixture would give them the breathing space to sort that out. Hence I would not be over confident that you could assume that in Any round we play between a Friday and Sunday. Could be Wed or Monday.

Bloody hope not, the festival of footy might have been appropriate in the strange circumstances of 2020, but not in any other context.

DS

Bloody hope not, the festival of footy might have been appropriate in the strange circumstances of 2020, but not in any other context.

DS

Yes it was the perfect tonic when nobody could leave their house, but seriously doubt it would work in normal times when many would want to watch it live.

We also learnt that crowds at the ground are an essential part of the viewing package.

Reactions: 1 users
In a more normal atmosphere I can’t see them using any odd nights (Monday was a massive failure, which is why they scrapped it). At least I hope so. I still HATE Thursday night games.

Reactions: 3 users
I have been pretty vocal in my support of the floating fixture. However… the AFL should have announced match times for R10 and R11 by now. They should be announcing R12 this week. We need 6 weeks’ notice.