Basketball | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Basketball

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
The Celtics, despite being as good as they are, have defensive issues.
The Thunder hang 150 without their best player and it wasn't the second night of a back-to-back. Bad sign.

150 points is huge. But the way points are being scored right now, it's not a shock. Everday a player or a team are dropping crazy numbers.

We had a 71 point and 54 point game on the SAME NIGHT. The NBA has never had more talent.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
The Thunder hang 150 without their best player and it wasn't the second night of a back-to-back. Bad sign.

150 points is huge. But the way points are being scored right now, it's not a shock. Everday a player or a team are dropping crazy numbers.

We had a 71 point and 54 point game on the SAME NIGHT. The NBA has never had more talent.
But they let the offensive players get away with murder. Travels and carry's galore.

Reactions: 3 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
The Celtics, despite being as good as they are, have defensive issues.
Celtics are a dog's breakfast at the moment; all over the place.

Being torched by the mediocre OKC and allowing them 150 without their best player in SGA is real cause for concern.

Reactions: 1 user

FitenFitenWin

Listen to the thunder RFC
Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane
But they let the offensive players get away with murder. Travels and carry's galore.
Absolutely. To the best of my recollection it started with Alonzo Mourning - he used to hop around like a bloody rabbit. Got away with it because he was meant to be the next big thing after Shaq. Come to think of it, the big fella got an easy ride from the refs too.

Last edited:

FitenFitenWin

Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane
Watched Giddey since he was in U/14 Tigers squad - my nephew played in the same under-age teams. He was a good passer as a junior - albeit in a limited and robotic system that the Tigers ran (Shuffle). Nothing to indicate that he would become the passing savant that he is now. Has stepped up this year too in terms of his shooting and defence. I wonder what his ceiling will be? Will be interesting to watch.
Will also be interesting to see how our plethora of passing guards will work in a Boomers team - Simmons, Daniels, Proctor - some may miss out. I doubt Giddey will be one of them to be passed over.

FitenFitenWin

Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane
Come to think of it - here's my team for the World Chumps this year - assuming full availability. I'm using modern positional nomenclature rather than traditional PG / SG / Sf/ PF / C

Guards: Simmons, Giddey, Mills, Cotton, Vasiljevic
Wings: Green, Exum, Ingles
Bigs: Landale, Kay, Thon Maker, Cooks

I prefer another shot creator Cotton - over Thybulle as our naturalised player. Exum and Green are both outstanding wing defenders and we don't need another.
Vague was very close behind Ingles in this team. He was terrific in the lead-up matches and shot the lights out. He has a very quick shot release too - which is a quality you must have at the international level. Never saw him defend and rebound as well either.
Maker played with ferocity and easily keeps out the likes of Froling, Brandt, Acuil and Baynes. Reath would be a consideration here if he is healthy. Tough not to pick Pinder too.
Prefer Cooks to White - very close though.
Daniels misses out to the experience of Exum.
The rest don't need much justification.

The Olympic team will be harder to pick. Mills and Ingles will be a year older - and may be ready to make way for younger players. I expect McDowell-White, Daniels, Proctor, Ducas, Travers, White, Froling, Okwera, Magnay, the Gak boys and the younger Maker to be right in the mix. Ohlbrich, Armstrong and Toohey would be rank outsiders - but ones to keep an eye on in the future. And, of course, Zikarski.

Our Olympic teams right up to the home games in 2032 will be bursting with talent, size and athleticism.

Reactions: 1 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Come to think of it - here's my team for the World Chumps this year - assuming full availability. I'm using modern positional nomenclature rather than traditional PG / SG / Sf/ PF / C

Guards: Simmons, Giddey, Mills, Cotton, Vasiljevic
Wings: Green, Exum, Ingles
Bigs: Landale, Kay, Thon Maker, Cooks

I prefer another shot creator Cotton - over Thybulle as our naturalised player. Exum and Green are both outstanding wing defenders and we don't need another.
Vague was very close behind Ingles in this team. He was terrific in the lead-up matches and shot the lights out. He has a very quick shot release too - which is a quality you must have at the international level. Never saw him defend and rebound as well either.
Maker played with ferocity and easily keeps out the likes of Froling, Brandt, Acuil and Baynes. Reath would be a consideration here if he is healthy. Tough not to pick Pinder too.
Prefer Cooks to White - very close though.
Daniels misses out to the experience of Exum.
The rest don't need much justification.

The Olympic team will be harder to pick. Mills and Ingles will be a year older - and may be ready to make way for younger players. I expect McDowell-White, Daniels, Proctor, Ducas, Travers, White, Froling, Okwera, Magnay, the Gak boys and the younger Maker to be right in the mix. Ohlbrich, Armstrong and Toohey would be rank outsiders - but ones to keep an eye on in the future. And, of course, Zikarski.

Our Olympic teams right up to the home games in 2032 will be bursting with talent, size and athleticism.
Great post. I disagree on a couple but overall I’m with you, reckon Daniels over Exum. Daniels rate of improvement is staggering, give him the bench reps now. And he’s a better defender than Dante already.
And I’d take Jack Wnite ahead of Cooks, can stretch the floor better.
Hope your right and Simmons plays. Changes the entire setup.
We might be a shooter short in the front court if Ingles retires. We lack shooters for the first time ever in Australian basketball. But Giddey might slide up to the wings.

Reactions: 1 users

Mycotchinrules

That's just like, your opinion, man
Mar 17, 2014
Great post. I disagree on a couple but overall I’m with you, reckon Daniels over Exum. Daniels rate of improvement is staggering, give him the bench reps now. And he’s a better defender than Dante already.
We might be a shooter short in the front court if Ingles retires. We lack shooters for the first time ever in Australian basketball. But Giddey might slide up to the wings.
Surely Andrew gaze has one more tournament in him.

Shooter shortage solved .

Try saying that 6 times fast

• Haha

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
We wont need shooters when Simmons, Thybulle and Daniels are on the court together, might be some historically low scores.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Great win by the C’s on the road against a hot Nets today. Nets without KD but the C’s resting Horford and Williams for 95% of the game.

Simmons is a complete and utter offensive liability.

FitenFitenWin

Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane
I could cope very happily with either of those substitutions. We are blessed for talent at the moment and for the foreseeable future it only gets better.

I like Dante - he's now in his prime and playing with great maturity for FC Barcelona and Partizan. I'm still a believer in what he has to bring.

You're probably right about White (quite right) - he would make a better floor spacer than Cooks - but he's not a noted 3 point shooter - not yet anyway. His shot mechanics are way better than Cooks whose elbow alignment is all wrong (and it is probably too late fix it). Both are elite defenders and rebounders. World class in fact.

Last edited: