Basketball | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Basketball

FitenFitenWin

Listen to the thunder RFC
Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane
Great win by the C’s on the road against a hot Nets today. Nets without KD but the C’s resting Horford and Williams for 95% of the game.

Simmons is a complete and utter offensive liability.
I'm just not sold on the Celts - and I don't know why. Have a real soft spot for Brown who I've followed since his high school days. Tatsy's a star. Love the Williams boys. Smart and Brogden too. Deep and talented. It's a mystery.

And I can't believe that Simmons just won't attack the rim with ball in hand. Even in transition!

FitenFitenWin

Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane
We wont need shooters when Simmons, Thybulle and Daniels are on the court together, might be some historically low scores.
Can you imagine a five made up of Daniels, Exum, Thybulle, Kay/Cooks/White and Simmons? The opposition wouldn't get past half court.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
I'm just not sold on the Celts - and I don't know why. Have a real soft spot for Brown who I've followed since his high school days. Tatsy's a star. Love the Williams boys. Smart and Brogden too. Deep and talented. It's a mystery.

And I can't believe that Simmons just won't attack the rim with ball in hand. Even in transition!
Same. Al Horford as your starting centre is a weakness, as much as he is a smart player.

Simmons is a bit of an odd one. He moves so well for a big you wonder why he doesn't go at the rim more. He can finish both hands too.

Averaging under 6 field goal attempts per game. Free throw % of 41% probably prevents him attacking the rim, if he gets fouled he is likely to miss at least 1 of his FT's.

Reactions: 1 user

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
I could cope very happily with either of those substitutions. We are blessed for talent at the moment and for the foreseeable future it only gets better.

I like Dante - he's now in his prime and playing with great maturity for FC Barcelona and Partizan. I'm still a believer in what he has to bring.

You're probably right about White (quite right) - he would make a better floor spacer than Cooks - but he's not a noted 3 point shooter - not yet anyway. His shot mechanics are way better than Cooks whose elbow alignment is all wrong (and it is probably too late fix it). Both are elite defenders and rebounders. World class in fact.

White is shooting the ball so much better in the G-Leauge, his release looks so much quicker. He hit one in junk time last week and the release and mechanics look so much better. He's getting better and better. Shooting 54 % in the G League 54% from 2, 38% from 3 and 90% FT. Along with 18PTS and 7 REB. If he was to come back to the NBL I'd be curious to see what he puts up.

We still need more shooters in the back court.

Last edited:

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Same. Al Horford as your starting centre is a weakness, as much as he is a smart player.

Simmons is a bit of an odd one. He moves so well for a big you wonder why he doesn't go at the rim more. He can finish both hands too.

Averaging under 6 field goal attempts per game. Free throw % of 41% probably prevents him attacking the rim, if he gets fouled he is likely to miss at least 1 of his FT's.
I reckon your last line answered your 2nd line. He doesn't want to get fouled so he avoids contact, and attacking the paint.
Maybe everyone just needs to settle for this version of Simmons for the near future and hope he regains what little confidence he used to have in his shooting. It is going to be hard for him to be effective in the play offs tho, cos Hack-a-Ben will be a popular tactic late if he gets the ball.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
The lack of a bona fide star centre has been the Celtics weak point in recent years. Horford still has value but is a fair way past his best at 36yo. If we had, as an example, Jokic or Embiid, we would have another banner and be odds on this season. We have all the other pieces. Even the next rung down from those two mentioned would be an enormous boost. I'm hoping Rob Williams is that guy. He's not that big for a centre but has a huge leap and is a great rebounder and shot blocker. It remains to be seen what level he gets to. Plus he is very injury prone.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
The lack of a bona fide star centre has been the Celtics weak point in recent years. Horford still has value but is a fair way past his best at 36yo. If we had, as an example, Jokic or Embiid, we would have another banner and be odds on this season. We have all the other pieces. Even the next rung down from those two mentioned would be an enormous boost. I'm hoping Rob Williams is that guy. He's not that big for a centre but has a huge leap and is a great rebounder and shot blocker. It remains to be seen what level he gets to. Plus he is very injury prone.
He’s still 206 cm Chumpley.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
He’s still 206 cm Chumpley.
Yes he is certainly not short Chumpford but Jokic and Embiid are 213cm. He'd be one of the smaller centres in the NBA. But I think his leap, rebounding and shot blocking give him an advantage. He just needs to get a good run with injury. He's missed a lot of games in his career to date.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Yes he is certainly not short Chumpford but Jokic and Embiid are 213cm. He'd be one of the smaller centres in the NBA. But I think his leap, rebounding and shot blocking give him an advantage. He just needs to get a good run with injury. He's missed a lot of games in his career to date.
Watching Jokic the other day, he moves like a tractor. Kendrick Perkins was taking the *smile* out of him for not even being able to jump 2 inches. I’d take Williams at 206 and that speed and leap he has. Embiid is probably a different story.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Watching Jokic the other day, he moves like a tractor. Kendrick Perkins was taking the *smile* out of him for not even being able to jump 2 inches. I’d take Williams at 206 and that speed and leap he has. Embiid is probably a different story.
Kendrick Perkins ha ha he's a classic. Yes Jokic is certainly not as mobile as Williams. It shows how much of an advantage you get in basketball by just being huge. He's one the past 2 MVP awards but the Nuggets have never got out of the west. Will be interesting to see if they can do it this season.

Williams certainly has massive upside if he can stay fit.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Kendrick Perkins ha ha he's a classic. Yes Jokic is certainly not as mobile as Williams. It shows how much of an advantage you get in basketball by just being huge. He's one the past 2 MVP awards but the Nuggets have never got out of the west. Will be interesting to see if they can do it this season.

Williams certainly has massive upside if he can stay fit.
Hear Hear Chumpley !

I agree that the Celtics are going all the way this year.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Jokic is amazing. Does it all. Might be slow but has great footwork. Superstar. Best big in the league. Easily.

FitenFitenWin

Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane
Jokic is amazing. Does it all. Might be slow but has great footwork. Superstar. Best big in the league. Easily.
I find him fascinating to watch. His combination of size, strength and IQ makes him the most interesting player in the League. He is such an antidote to all the high flying athletes that make a living dunking the ball but who all start to look the same after a while.

FitenFitenWin

Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane
Nah. No to Williams over Jokic. You must be Joking.

FitenFitenWin

Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane
I reckon your last line answered your 2nd line. He doesn't want to get fouled so he avoids contact, and attacking the paint.
Maybe everyone just needs to settle for this version of Simmons for the near future and hope he regains what little confidence he used to have in his shooting. It is going to be hard for him to be effective in the play offs tho, cos Hack-a-Ben will be a popular tactic late if he gets the ball.
He got to the rim in his first two years in the League just fine and wasn't a good foul shooter then either. Went through crowds camped in the key like it didn't matter. Then he was told to keep out because that was Embid's territory and his options for scoring diminished and his problems with confidence started.

The Nets don't have a big to make way for in the key. It should be his domain once more. Especially with the shooters that surround him.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Nah. No to Williams over Jokic. You must be Joking.
Williams will be awesome. Only 25. Will win 3 MVP’s as the Celtics win the next 9 championships in a row.

Would win more MVP’s but he’ll be usurped by Tatum who will win 8 over his career.

They’ll have to build another new TD Garden to fit all the banners in. This is a guarantee.

FitenFitenWin

Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane
Williams will be awesome. Only 25. Will win 3 MVP’s as the Celtics win the next 9 championships in a row.

Would win more MVP’s but he’ll be usurped by Tatum who will win 8 over his career.

They’ll have to build another new TD Garden to fit all the banners in. This is a guarantee.
Red - you still drinking that tea out of Boston Harbour?

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004

The three best players in the league are Euro's. Joker, Luka and the Greek Freek.

Jokic is Larry Bird but better and bigger. The NBA talent level is elite, the product is fantastic to watch.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
He got to the rim in his first two years in the League just fine and wasn't a good foul shooter then either. Went through crowds camped in the key like it didn't matter. Then he was told to keep out because that was Embid's territory and his options for scoring diminished and his problems with confidence started.

The Nets don't have a big to make way for in the key. It should be his domain once more. Especially with the shooters that surround him.
He was shooting 5 FTs/game through his career with the 76ers and making 60%. This year he is shooting 1.5/game and making 40%. Either his back is affecting his shot and therefore his confidence, or his confidence is just still non-existent after the Atlanta series.