Basketball | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Basketball

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Very cool to see the scoring record finally broken.
An amazing feat by Le Bron but it's a very different league now to when Kareem played.
Respect though he's got a bit still left in the tank.

FitenFitenWin

Listen to the thunder RFC
Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane
Giddey got a real good worms eye view of that shot! Only a few feet away - ensures he will always be part of NBA history.

LeBron the GOAT - no question in my mind. Played in an era when there were more outstanding players around him than when MJ played - and stood head and shoulders above all of them.

Played in a time that saw the greatest change in how the game was played and adapted and still dominated.

Played in a time when international players make up a significant proportion of the best players.

Won the championship with 3 different franchises - much harder to do than to stay with the same one.

Long live the King!

Reactions: 1 user

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Have seen prime MJ, prime Kobe and prime Bron. Best in my life time.

What a time

Best in any order of all time IMO Bron, KAJ and MJ. I take Bron but I accept the other two.

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Today was the first time I've ever seen him play and I was amazed at how nimbly he moves for such a huge man.

If he is like that at 38 he must have been spectacular at 25.

Mycotchinrules

That's just like, your opinion, man
Mar 17, 2014
Absolute superstar. And his professionalism has translated into incredible longevity.

But he'll never be Jordan

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
In other news Ben Simmons is getting paid $34.5m a season..$34.5m:oops:

That's a top 10 player salary. Currently he's being benched for a battling team.

WTF happened to him? A shadow of the player that burst on the scene.

Confidence? Injuries taking a toll? Maybe he was never that good.
Whatever he's become the joke of the league.
I'd feel sorry for him if he wasn't incredibly rich & banging hotties.

It's one heck of a mystery how he's fallen so far.:cautious:

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
In other news Ben Simmons is getting paid $34.5m a season..$34.5m:oops:

That's a top 10 player salary. Currently he's being benched for a battling team.

WTF happened to him? A shadow of the player that burst on the scene.

Confidence? Injuries taking a toll? Maybe he was never that good.
Whatever he's become the joke of the league.
I'd feel sorry for him if he wasn't incredibly rich & banging hotties.

It's one heck of a mystery how he's fallen so far.:cautious:
Confidence. He's mentally broken. Worse than Greg Norman broke.
I'm calling Simmons Humpty Dumpty now. No one will put him back together again.
As for the GOAT.
Nope, definitely not LeBron. The defence is a LOT weaker now than back in the 80-90s. Scores in general were much lower Across Jordan's era, the average was about 100ppg. The highest season was just over 106ppg when he first got in the league, the lowest 91ppg.
Jordan was averaging about 1/3 of his teams scores.
LeBron plays in an era where the ppg average is around 110 this season so far is 114ppg.

Last edited:

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Absolute superstar. And his professionalism has translated into incredible longevity.

But he'll never be Jordan

Best in any order of all time IMO Bron, KAJ and MJ. I take Bron but I accept the other two.

I know you can make stats say many things, but some key indicator career stats to ponder.

PlayerPoints per gameRebounds per gameAssists per gameSteals per game
M.Jordan30.16.25.32.3
K.Abdul-Jabbar24.611.23.60.9
L.James27.17.57.41.6
XXX19.57.211.21.9

Some more stats same players

PlayerCareer Field Goal PercentageCareer 3pt PercentageCareer Free Throw PercentageCombined PAPG (2pt per assist)
M.Jordan.487.327.83540.7
K.Abdul-Jabbar.559.056.72131.8
L.James.505.346.72541.9
XXX.520.303.84841.9

The stats marked yellow are simply where the player leads that category of the players presented here.

Player XXX sits third on the all-time list of triple doubles. Behind only Russell Westbrook and Oscar Robertson.

If you are looking for a complete basketballer, I think player XXX is the man. He played virtually every position in his NBA career including both PG and C.

Player XXX is Magic Johnson.

For the record, I personally reckon Hakeem Olajuwon is hard to beat when discussing the best basketballers of all time. Especially when you consider he didn't start playing the game until he was 15! He was a beast and his career stats stack up well against those above.

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
I know you can make stats say many things, but some key indicator career stats to ponder.

M.Jordan30.16.25.32.3
L.James27.17.57.41.6
XXX19.57.211.21.9

PlayerCareer Field Goal PercentageCareer 3pt PercentageCareer Free Throw PercentageCombined PAPG (2pt per assist)
M.Jordan.487.327.83540.7
L.James.505.346.72541.9
XXX.520.303.84841.9

The stats marked yellow are simply where the player leads that category of the players presented here.

Player XXX sits third on the all-time list of triple doubles. Behind only Russell Westbrook and Oscar Robertson.

If you are looking for a complete basketballer, I think player XXX is the man. He played virtually every position in his NBA career including both PG and C.

For the record, I personally reckon Hakeem Olajuwon is hard to beat when discussing the best basketballers of all time. Especially when you consider he didn't start playing the game until he was 15! He was a beast and his career stats stack up well against those above.
Assists that create high percentage shots (lay ups / open threes etc) are like the AFL player who draws pressure in a 3 vs 3 and puts a teammate into space. Their value is immense. Good call. Would be interesting to see a stat that somehow measured the FG percentage / or average points scored per attempted assist. Must lead to much higher team scores.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Best of his generation no doubt. As with footy, comparisons between eras is silly.
Agree. Very different game now.

I reckon there are few sports where one person can clearly be called out as the GOAT.

Billiards - Lindrum
Snooker - Ronnie O'Sullivan
Darts - Phil Taylor (MVG may have something to say about it by the end of his career)

Golf - people may argue Nicklaus. A case can be made for Woods.

A lot easier in individual sports.

I think the only team sport where there is a clear winner would be Bradman for cricket?

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Agree. Very different game now.

I reckon there are few sports where one person can clearly be called out as the GOAT.

Billiards - Lindrum
Snooker - Ronnie O'Sullivan
Darts - Phil Taylor (MVG may have something to say about it by the end of his career)

Golf - people may argue Nicklaus. A case can be made for Woods.

A lot easier in individual sports.

I think the only team sport where there is a clear winner would be Bradman for cricket?
And Dusty.

But yes, some will say Jordan, some will say James. Others say Kobe, then I am sure some say Kareem or Wilt. And people will quote stats all day long backing their favourite, and no one will change their mind. All part of the fun of sports fandom.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Celtics handle Phoneydelphia without Jaylen Brown, Smart, Williams and Horford.

These pesky, lovable Celtics are a good team.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003

M.Jordan30.16.25.32.3
L.James27.17.57.41.6
XXX19.57.211.21.9

M.Jordan.487.327.83540.7
L.James.505.346.72541.9
XXX.520.303.84841.9

Legend Larry Bird.

24.3 PPG, 10 RPG, 6.3 APG, 1.7 SPG, 49.6 FGP, 37.6 3PP, 88.6% FTP, 36.9 PAPG.

Leads all above in 3PP and FTP. Matches up very well with any of them. Not to mention 3 x MVP, 2 x finals MVP, 3 x championships, 9 x all-NBA first team (only played 13 seasons!!).

The Hick from French Lick. What a player. Absolute legend.

That said, congrats to Lebron. Great achievement and obviously in the argument for the best of all time. Jordan is my pick FWIW.

Reactions: 3 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Legend Larry Bird.

Leads all above in 3PP and FTP. Matches up very well with any of them. Not to mention 3 x MVP, 2 x finals MVP, 3 x championships, 9 x all-NBA first team (only played 13 seasons!!).

That said, congrats to Lebron. Great achievement and obviously in the argument for the best of all time. Jordan is my pick FWIW.
I think we can all agree that Bird and Russell are the two greatest players of all time. Impossible to split them really.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
Jan 12, 2012
Melbourne
Today was the first time I've ever seen him play and I was amazed at how nimbly he moves for such a huge man.

If he is like that at 38 he must have been spectacular at 25.
He was spectacular at 15. Amazing speed and agility for a 6 ft 8 guy with a big, strong body. Would have made some sort of CHF.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Legend Larry Bird.

I think we can all agree that Bird and Russell are the two greatest players of all time. Impossible to split them really.

John Havlicek says hi.

Bird is my choice as best ever based on pure basketball skill and brain.

Unlike those others like MJ, Magic, LBJ etc. he apparently couldn’t run and he couldn’t jump, all he could do was play.

But then I have the same tinted glasses as you guys.

FWIW, my fav Celtic was McHale, all thanks to an exchange student from Peru Indiana who stayed with us in the early 80s.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
John Havlicek says hi.

Bird is my choice as best ever based on pure basketball skill and brain.

Unlike those others like MJ, Magic, LBJ etc. he apparently couldn’t run and he couldn’t jump, all he could do was play.

But then I have the same tinted glasses as you guys.

FWIW, my fav Celtic was McHale, all thanks to an exchange student from Peru Indiana who stayed with us in the early 80s.
Why are you so disrespectful of The Truth ….and The Chief …and The Cous…and KG and….