Basketball | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Basketball

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Purdue (#1 seed) fans really upset they lost to a long shot in FDU Knights. Biggest upset of the comp. Amazing game.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
It's going to be the growth sport in Australia mate. Grassroots..

Another NBA triple double for 20 year old Aussie Josh Giddey yesterday in the win over Brooklyn.
The poster boy is an absolute $tar in the making & the best advertisement the sport has in our country.

It might be good grassroots, but then if U ain't 6'0+, 6'2, 6'6+ preferably, you stop at about Under 18's type age, you're not going to the NBA or other top league's in the world.

U can still play at the top level AFL, NRL, Soccer, Golf, Cricket doesn't matter what height U are, that's the only thing with the basketball, height matters even more than skill.

Reactions: 1 user

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
Man JT, another game winning chance blown, misses two shots in the last minute!! FMD man!!
Just so many inconsistencies with this Keltics team, doing my head in now :(
I don't believe Redford/TF, I just don't believe, they lose too many games to the lower ranked teams,
Robert Williams is never fit, probably needs to get traded or just go.

The last 5 years always has been about one BIG away from probably winning the title, got all the outside players required, just no inside height or threat.
Al's a great player, but still needs 2-3 inches in height and that can't happen now he's aged :LOL:
Robert Williams as mentioned is a sick note!! :sick:
Dropped to 3rd in the East and season pretty much done, they're not going to beat both Philly and the Bucks in back to back series this year!!

K3

Tiger Legend
Oct 9, 2006
Man JT, another game winning chance blown, misses two shots in the last minute!! FMD man!!
Just so many inconsistencies with this Keltics team, doing my head in now :(
I don't believe Redford/TF, I just don't believe, they lose too many games to the lower ranked teams,
Robert Williams is never fit, probably needs to get traded or just go.

The last 5 years always has been about one BIG away from probably winning the title, got all the outside players required, just no inside height or threat.
Al's a great player, but still needs 2-3 inches in height and that can't happen now he's aged :LOL:
Robert Williams as mentioned is a sick note!! :sick:
Dropped to 3rd in the East and season pretty much done, they're not going to beat both Philly and the Bucks in back to back series this year!!

Doesn't look like they have any quality bigs coming through the system either. Not at all sold on Kornet.

And just quietly... Go Kings! :)

FitenFitenWin

Listen to the thunder RFC
Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane
It might be good grassroots, but then if U ain't 6'0+, 6'2, 6'6+ preferably, you stop at about Under 18's type age, you're not going to the NBA or other top league's in the world.

U can still play at the top level AFL, NRL, Soccer, Golf, Cricket doesn't matter what height U are, that's the only thing with the basketball, height matters even more than skill.
OK - heard it all before. But consider this - as far as physical traits go - if you're not fast you can't be a sprinter. If you can't jump high you can't be a high jumper. Etc etc. Why pick on one trait over all others to be aggrieved about? You can be tall - but if you don't have the skills - you're not going to make it as a basketball player. Shorter players than 6'0 play high level basketball all around the world and make a good living. Look at Bryce Cotton for example. I have no idea of the real numbers but I'd dare to say that just as many short players are playing high level basketball around the world as there are really tall players (>6'7) playing high level football around the world - on a percentage basis.

But I agree that's one of the things I absolutely love about our game - especially in the last 15 or so years - you can be almost any size and still get a game at a high level.

Last edited:

FitenFitenWin

Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane
Geez - this March Madness has a sore lack of star power to it. Still love it though. It's the game I grew up playing - bigs playing predominantly down low or high post. Guards flitting around looking to pass first. 3 point shooters a rarity (decent ones anyway). Structurally it's old fashioned - and there's nothing wrong with that.

Duke losing is a real disappointment - but they were physically dominated by Tennessee - which happens to teams made up of predominantly rookies. Didn't think St Mary's would go that far in the tourney. But I still hate they're out in the second round. Suppose I'll have to follow Princeton now (Adebayo ). Them or the Zags.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Geez - this March Madness has a sore lack of star power to it. Still love it though. It's the game I grew up playing - bigs playing predominantly down low or high post. Guards flitting around looking to pass first. 3 point shooters a rarity (decent ones anyway). Structurally it's old fashioned - and there's nothing wrong with that.

Duke losing is a real disappointment - but they were physically dominated by Tennessee - which happens to teams made up of predominantly rookies. Didn't think St Mary's would go that far in the tourney. But I still hate they're out in the second round. Suppose I'll have to follow Princeton now (Adebayo ). Them or the Zags.
Strange how Dook is out. Tennessee are a good team I must admit. Other lower seeds like Baylor, Jayhawks and Mizzou also out. Wow. Didn't know you were a Gaels fan Fiten.:))

FitenFitenWin

Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane
Strange how Dook is out. Tennessee are a good team I must admit. Other lower seeds like Baylor, Jayhawks and Mizzou also out. Wow. Didn't know you were a Gaels fan Fiten.:))
How could you not love the school where Patty and Delly played! Jock too.

PS: I secretly hate rooting for Duke in any shape or form but have had to change my ways since Jack White captained the team and now our boy Dyson is there. By the way - he absolutely ripped it up in that game against the Vols. Best game he's played.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
How could you not love the school where Patty and Delly played! Jock too.

PS: I secretly hate rooting for Duke in any shape or form but have had to change my ways since Jack White captained the team and now our boy Dyson is there. By the way - he absolutely ripped it up in that game against the Vols. Best game he's played.
I'll back Princeton too FFW. Zags 5 points behind the Frogs at HT so after this it's the Sweet 16 from Saturday (our time)

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
As long as any of Duke, North Carolina, Alabama or Kentucky don’t win, I’m happy.

3 down, 1 to go.

Reactions: 1 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Go Zaggers. Gotta win this tourno after so many years. Big, big game against the Bruins next week.

As for Baaaaaama, how TF does this team gain so many votes to get higher ranking??? Win one game and they all suck in...just like the Bummers.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Alabama and even Houston out of the March Madness. Good stuff. Let's see if both long shots in Princeton or Creighton get through.

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
OK - heard it all before. But consider this - as far as physical traits go - if you're not fast you can't be a sprinter. If you can't jump high you can't be a high jumper. Etc etc. Why pick on one trait over all others to be aggrieved about? You can be tall - but if you don't have the skills - you're not going to make it as a basketball player. Shorter players than 6'0 play high level basketball all around the world and make a good living. Look at Bryce Cotton for example. I have no idea of the real numbers but I'd dare to say that just as many short players are playing high level basketball around the world as there are really tall players (>6'7) playing high level football around the world - on a percentage basis.

But I agree that's one of the things I absolutely love about our game - especially in the last 15 or so years - you can be almost any size and still get a game at a high level.
I never said everyone tall means you become an NBA player, you have to have the talent for all sports of course, but for some you need specific other traits as well.
For basketball U definitely need height to play at the highest level and something like gymnastics you're better off being as short as and lithe.

Can't recall a 6'7 gymnast, imagine someone that tall doing the Pommel Horse o_O It'd collapse with Shaq on it and the Rings would buckle!! :LOL:
And that's great other leagues around the world, but aren't the best and the best play in the NBA, the Spanish Liga, Greek League, Turkish League, etc.

But the EPL, La Liga, AFL, NRL, cricket among other sports encompass players from all heights.
From Courtois to Messi, Cox to Daniel, Asofa-Solomona to Clune, Mohammad Irfan to the Kohli :)

• Love

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Oh well, another season gone for the Zags. This time they got thrashed. Will they ever win this tournament??