Been to a good gig lately/Concerts [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Been to a good gig lately/Concerts [Merged]

TigerForce said:
Aren't they similar to those white ones you went to?

white ones? you're referring to the armin van buuren white parties? when I was younger I was into all those outdoor festivals (summdayze, two tribes, etc), but not anymore. its not my scene. I did go to stereosonic once about 3-4 years ago, but that was to see a specific act that wasn't doing a side gig. if I was to go to an outdoor festival, it would be a bush doof (Earthcore, rainbow serpent, etc).

Ian4 said:
white ones? you're referring to the armin van buuren white parties? when I was younger I was into all those outdoor festivals (summdayze, two tribes, etc), but not anymore. its not my scene. I did go to stereosonic once about 3-4 years ago, but that was to see a specific act that wasn't doing a side gig. if I was to go to an outdoor festival, it would be a bush doof (Earthcore, rainbow serpent, etc).

Sensation.

Looks like it's end of touring on the road for Accadacca (at least with with Brian Johnson).
http://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/mar/08/acdc-singer-brian-johnson-to-stop-touring-to-save-his-hearing?CMP=share_btn_tw
Glad I went to see them last time with my young fella.

Icehouse a couple of weeks back Iva still got it , Day on the green with Hoodoo Gurus Sunnyboys Violent Femmes

Got 2 spare tickets to the Violent Femmes at the Corner on Thursday if anyone interested. PM me.

Saw Bryan Adams in Melbourne at Rod Laver last night.
He may be older but he's still one of the best live performers on the planet.
Last saw him live over 20 years ago in '94 & his vocal cords peeled back the years.
Great gig and a lot of fun.

PS: Melbourne crowds generally suck at these stadium concerts. What is it with everyone wanting to sit down here?

Tigers of Old said:
Last saw him live over 20 years ago in '94 & his vocal cords peeled back the years.

PS: Melbourne crowds generally suck at these stadium concerts. What is it with everyone wanting to sit down here?
That's why I wont go to the Palais any more. Imagine watching the Hunnas and having to sit down.

tigertim said:
That's why I wint go to the Palias any more. Imagine watching the Hunnas and having to sit down.

Saw the Counting Crows at the Palais last year. *smile* me - it was good, but it would've been a million times better if people had stood up.

Tigers of Old said:

Might be something to do with the age of the concert goer.

That's why the Days on the Green are good, allows everyone to get hammered without worrying about too much.

jb03 said:
Might be something to do with the age of the concert goer.

That's why the Days on the Green are good, allows everyone to get hammered without worrying about too much.

Not convinced on that. Have seen younger artists in Melbourne where the same thing applies. Reckon it's unique to here. Very odd.
Do agree that outdoor concerts are much more fun probably because there are no seats and people are forced to get up and move.

Agree with you ToO , even Kiss was a sit down affair, all the gigs I've been too in recent times at the Forum have been great atmosphere an great crowd involvement

Tigers of Old said:
Not convinced on that. Have seen younger artists in Melbourne where the same thing applies. Reckon it's unique to here. Very odd.
Do agree that outdoor concerts are much more fun probably because there are no seats and people are forced to get up and move.

Hoping to see the Living End if they tour behind the new album. Shouldn't think anyone would be sitting down at that gig.

This is an awesome video put together re the history of rock traced through a Facebook news feed.

http://digg.com/video/the-history-of-rock

Righto, after two weeks away I'm back from Bluesfest.

First off, don't tell me about the best concert/festival you've been to unless you've been to Bluesfest. You could offer me a ticket to see any act in the world and I would swap it for a 5-day pass to Bluesfest. The quality and quantity of musical talent is staggering. This year was one of, if not, the best yet.

Kendrick Lamar
D'Angelo
Joe Bonamassa
Eagles of Death Metal
The Blind Boys of Alabama
Con Brio
The Word
Nahko & Medicine for the People
Kaleo
Kamasi Washington
Harts (young Melbourne singer/guitarist likened to Prince BY Prince, who flew him to New York to produce his debut album)
The Mick Fleetwood Blues Band
Hiatus Kaiyote
Fantastic Negrito
Grace Potter
Elle King

relegated Tom Jones, Noel Gallagher and Brian Wilson to support acts. Likewise for The Cat Empire, who I've seen plenty of times anyway.

And they're only the ones I saw. Because I was working I missed Steve Earle, Tex Perkins, Taj Mahal, St Paul & The Broken Bones (heard raves about them - some said the highlight), The Wailers, the National (should have seen them but fell asleep!), Jackson Browne, The Original Blues Brothers Band, Ash Grunwald and more.

It is a ridiculously good line-up, in one of the best places on Earth. If you're a music lover you simply have to get to this event. The spirit of Byron Bay seeps through its pores. Everyone's happy, because they're in Byron and they have five days of brilliant music ahead of them. Head and shoulders the best music festival in the country. The location is part of it, but so is the peerless artist selection from Peter Noble and crew. This was my sixth Bluesfest. It's always been great, but the growth from the three stages at Red Devils rugby league ground to a massive farm site boasting five tent stages and a couple of little intimate tents (if you can find Con Brio's acoustic set in the ABC radio tent, my god, I wept) is incredible and a tribute to the vision of Peter Noble and the special magic of Byron.

It's a Must.

Spook

I saw Nathaniel Rateliffe and the Night Sweats last Wednesday at 170 Russell. They did a Bluesfest Sideshow in Melb.

Didn't rate a mention in your list?

Great gig ... the backing band (Night Sweats) were very entertaining. The guy on trumpet (Wesley Watkins) was amazing to watch. Like a giant daddy long legs - all angles - grooving around.

Worth catching if they come again.

[youtube=560,315]1iAYhQsQhSY[/youtube]

Unfortunately Ruby, they were another act I missed seeing.

I forgot to mention Blind Boy Paxton, who was both soulful and funny.