Beer and Wine Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Beer and Wine Thread

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
SCOOP said:
I want to know if Evo is still home brewing.
Yes, still home brew but I'm pulling my house down soon so haven't done one for a for a few motnhs. Will get back into once I have a new abode.

AZZAMOOT said:
Im loving Broo

Same. That is my beer of choice at the moment. James Squire/ Little Creatures quality but without the price tag.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
evo said:
Yes, still home brew but I'm pulling my house down soon so haven't done one for a for a few motnhs. Will get back into once I have a new abode.

Big job. You starting over again with the house or splitting the block? I actually like some of double townhouses they can put on one block.

Few mates have done it and made a quid. And Melbourne needs it. Not enough housing as it is. Make sure you have a full wine cellar and brew room.

Michael

Tiger Champion
Nov 30, 2004
mld said:
Yeah, a couple of us have commented on wine, but it isn't a hot topic. FWIW I am reguarly taken aback that sangiovese has such little profile in Australia.

Probably because the Aussie drinker likes Shiraz or Cabernet, same reason Merlot hasnt done much
Plenty of Sangiovese up around the King Valley.

mld, why do you like it?

Michael

Tiger Champion
Nov 30, 2004
AZZAMOOT said:
A Beer/booze thread, this is great! Looking forward to trying some of the suggestions.

I Im loving Broo, both for the beer & what the owner is doing with the company. Give it a shot, sort of like VB but without the 'ive just swollowed an ash tray' after taste.

Funny the marketing on Broo, makes me cringe. To me the whole thing looks like a redneck gimmick. Up there with Bundy, Utes and the Carnago Pub. Then I tasted the stuff and was quite surprised

mld

hi
Apr 1, 2006
Melbs
Michael said:
Probably because the Aussie drinker likes Shiraz or Cabernet, same reason Merlot hasnt done much
Plenty of Sangiovese up around the King Valley.

mld, why do you like it?

Yeah, it is growing, Asutralian wineries are certainly starting to branch out into other varieties. I like it as a lighter bodied red.

Michael

Tiger Champion
Nov 30, 2004
mld said:
Yeah, it is growing, Asutralian wineries are certainly starting to branch out into other varieties. I like it as a lighter bodied red.

Agreed, I particularly enjoy it when blended with Shiraz and even better the blends are a bit cheaper
The Europeans use Sangiovese as a filler with other varieties as its flavour is quite stable

For mine, for a lighter red, i like mucking around with Pinot Noir. The bellarine produces some rippers and again for $20ish, much better value than the Yarra Valley or Mornington Peninsula

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
SCOOP said:
Big job. You starting over again with the house or splitting the block?

yeah doing a duplex. Having a bit of trouble getting it through council at the moment.

It's enough to drive a man to drink.

CricketersArms

Keep rollin'
Aug 22, 2011
Drinking a beer called "Ice" at the moment. It's made by Tooheys and they were selling the 30 cans block for 30 dollars at Safeway Liquor last week. It's a bit rough first couple of cans but it smooths out. Will be buying it again.

CricketersArms

Keep rollin'
Aug 22, 2011
As for wine, can recommend Coolabah's fruity lexia. Hits the spot nicely, and very well priced considering how much you get.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
evo said:
yeah doing a duplex. Having a bit of trouble getting it through council at the moment.

It's enough to drive a man to drink.

Ha! Council permits are a nightmare. Council should be pushing through the duplexs as long as they aren't a eye sore. We need more medium density housing, not less. The day of the big block should be over.

Back on the booze, don't mind the Rekorderlig.

Big Cat Lover

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2008
Michael said:
Funny the marketing on Broo, makes me cringe. To me the whole thing looks like a redneck gimmick. Up there with Bundy, Utes and the Carnago Pub. Then I tasted the stuff and was quite surprised

It's actually Conargo. What's wrong with it? Went to school there so be careful what you say about it.

CricketersArms

Keep rollin'
Aug 22, 2011
SCOOP said:
Back on the booze, don't mind the Rekorderlig.
Rekorderlig is nice, a bit sweet, but a very good cider. Haven't got legless off the stuff yet (when I've had it, it's only been a few sips of someone else's whose offered it).

I'm not sure I could drink mass amounts of it, as it could be too sweet and lead to a bit of unpleasantry.

It's expensive too.

AZZAMOOT

Tiger Matchwinner
May 23, 2006
Melbourne
Michael said:

I love the marketing campaign, "we're building a country, not selling one", GOLD. Glad you enjoyed the taste the Michael but the #'s are going through the roof & the marketing must have a fair bit to do with it.

Tiger Ghost

Tiger Superstar
Nov 19, 2010
Your mums house
If it comes in clear or green stubbies it should have a warning not for human consumption! (ducks for cover)

Not a big beer drinker but fave by the length of flemington straight is Melbourne Bitter even better if you can find it on tap, otherwise i'll drink Carlton Draught.

Speaking of clear and green bottles its amazing how often i goto a party and theres nothing but!!! poofs and wannabes ;D

Braddles

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 28, 2005
Bonbeach
CricketersArms said:
Rekorderlig is nice, a bit sweet, but a very good cider. Haven't got legless off the stuff yet (when I've had it, it's only been a few sips of someone else's whose offered it).

I'm not sure I could drink mass amounts of it, as it could be too sweet and lead to a bit of unpleasantry.

It's expensive too.

Dude, Rekordelig's sweet as *smile*. Horrible stuff, don't really understand the hype. The winter cider's better than the rest of them though. Far better off with the Bulmer's pear at around $5 a pop. Two metre tall poire is amazing, around a tenner per 500ml, but incredible stuff.

CricketersArms

Keep rollin'
Aug 22, 2011
Bulmer's is nice, my mate has it when we go down the pub sometimes.

Speaking of *smile*. Have a massive hang over right now. Sinked red wine and gin and tonics last night.

I remember singing Ringo Starr songs at about 2 in the morning top of my lungs