Beer and Wine Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Beer and Wine Thread

AZZAMOOT

Tiger Matchwinner
May 23, 2006
Melbourne
Tiger Ghost said:
If it comes in clear or green stubbies it should have a warning not for human consumption! (ducks for cover)

Not a big beer drinker but fave by the length of flemington straight is Melbourne Bitter even better if you can find it on tap, otherwise i'll drink Carlton Draught.

Speaking of clear and green bottles its amazing how often i goto a party and theres nothing but!!! poofs and wannabes ;D

Ha I had my 1st MB in years on saturday at local footy (VB & carlton draught were the only other options & id rather drink water), was ice cold so it went down ok.

On green stubbies mate, several home brewers & micro brewers have told me that beer should always be in a dark stubby to maintain the quality of the beer.

mld

hi
Apr 1, 2006
Melbs
AZZAMOOT said:
On green stubbies mate, several home brewers & micro brewers have told me that beer should always be in a dark stubby to maintain the quality of the beer.

Yep, to prevent lightstrike, where light causes some of the compounds from the hops to change, resulting in a flavour techinically defined as 'cat-p!ss'. Not really a problem with most beers in light bottles though, as the brewers have used hop extracts that don't contain the compound (makes for pretty bland beer though).

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
mld said:
Yep, to prevent lightstrike, where light causes some of the compounds from the hops to change, resulting in a flavour techinically defined as 'cat-p!ss'. Not really a problem with most beers in light bottles though, as the brewers have used hop extracts that don't contain the compound (makes for pretty bland beer though).

Or it could be the fact that those beers in light bottles already taste like cats-p!ss?!

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
mld said:
quite so
WesternTiger said:
Or it could be the fact that those beers in light bottles already taste like cats-p!ss?!
the fact that the brewery would decide to put it in a clear bottle demonstrates that they hold no respect for the noble art (or chemistry) of brewing.

To me it is saying we're providing lolly water and we don't even care. Give us your money, punce! Personally, I wouldn't buy it on principle.

Green bottles are not such a propblem as long as they are reasonably dark. I put homebrews into green or brwon bottles. You can't tell the diff.

Panthera tigris FC

Full Blown Chimp Crush
Oct 28, 2004
Torquay
What was the first clear-bottled beer that you recall?

Corona?

Carlton Cold? :vomit

Either way, the 'cat *smile* in clear' theory is holding well.

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
the first clear bottle I ever saw was college kids drinking Corona when I was in the states.

To subsequently see a lemon slice added to the attrocity was just further salt in the wound.

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
Panthera tigris FC said:
What was the first clear-bottled beer that you recall?

Corona?

Carlton Cold? :vomit

Either way, the 'cat p!ss in clear' theory is holding well.

Remember drinking Carlton Cold in plastic bottles back at Uni in about 1997. They only had a shelf life of 3 months so after the bar over catered for NYE they had a run out sale in Feb / March. Were going for a couple of dollars for a 500ml bottle. Got smashed. But yes the first few did taste like cast-p!ss

Michael

Tiger Champion
Nov 30, 2004
Big Cat Lover said:
It's actually Conargo. What's wrong with it? Went to school there so be careful what you say about it.

BCL, I have no problem with Conargo at all. The pub does a roaring trade in stickers

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
evo said:
the first clear bottle I ever saw was college kids drinking Corona when I was in the states.

To subsequently see a lemon slice added to the attrocity was just further salt in the wound.

Yes we all know it should be lime.

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
Hehe, my bad.

Dan Murphy selling James Squire Golden Ale at $43 a slab

Makes a good thursday afternoon. Lurvly.

CricketersArms

Keep rollin'
Aug 22, 2011
Corona is terrible stuff. No idea why people buy it. Some of the circles I'm in, it's mainly a wank. "My beer comes from further away than your beer" sort of *smile*. I remind them, no it doesn't, it's actually made in Brisbane...

mld

hi
Apr 1, 2006
Melbs
I actually don’t like the beer purity law. It sounds good in theory, but many German beers are quite uninspiring despite the law, and many fine Belgian beers contravene it.

Tiger Ghost

Tiger Superstar
Nov 19, 2010
Your mums house
Since its beer drinking weather i thought this thread needed to come back to life.

Now i'm not old enough of to have drank them when they were around originally but i can fondly remember my dad and pop drinking Abbots Lager and Ballarat Bitter many many moons ago. Saw Ballarat Bitter on tv this morning so took myself off to Dans and sure enough they had around 20 slabs (limited run). Right next to them was again roughly 20 slabs of Abbots Lager and again a limited run.

They had a few open boxes and are selling cans individually, x6 or slab. I grabbed a few of each and will sit outside this evening and give them a go.

Anyone old enough to have enjoyed either drop back in the day? Or maybe when they have previously done limited runs?