Best/Worst TV Sports Commentators | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Best/Worst TV Sports Commentators

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
something for the offseason.

I think the standard of sports commentary in Australia is nothing short of diabolical. there is virtually no talent.

look at footy... Bruce used to be OK, but now drives us all crazy withy his rhetorical questions. Cometti has always been good, but has been around a long time now. BT and Dwayne the Pain are terrible. Huddo is OK, but luke darcy :vomit

what idiot thought it was a good idea to give Dwayne the Pain some basketball commentary to do? someone at fox sports needs to be sacked.

the channel 9 cricket team is just unwatchable (or unlistenable). I have always disliked them (even when I was a cricket tragic growing up), but now I just can't listen to them at all. I put the NZ test on the other day and lasted 5 minutes. it was excruciating.

by far the best in Australia is Simon hill, but even he sometimes speaks a bit of banter with his co-commentator rather that just calling the game.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
I used to think ours, especially the cricket commentators, were the best (and by best I mean worst) at talking about nothing, often not involved with the game or the sport, then I discovered US baseball. Those blokes have ours beaten hands down. I swear they talk just to hear themselves speak, I can't imagine anyone has any real interest in most of what they say. As for our worst, it has to be BT. Does anyone listen to him? If I can do it I avoid him whenever possible.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Bruce is so bad he can be entertaining if its a boring game, if its a game you want to watch he's very irritating. There isn't a lot of inspiration or insight. I really hate when the say 'up and about', where the bloody hell did this stupid expression come from?

Nico

You psychopathological reactionary!
Jul 1, 2004
Melbourne
Best...Phil Liggett, the voice of cycling, especially the TDF. Think he's had a man crush on Jens Voight over the last decade by the way his voice changes when Jens is putting in the hard yards for his team. His knowledge of cycling is extraordinary.

Worst...BT. Buffoon.

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
Luke Darcy has done an amazing job in being able to overtake McAvaney as my most disliked.

Mark Fine as a DJ is horrendous.

DragaTheCro

Tiger Champion
Apr 20, 2004
Midsy said:
Luke Darcy has done an amazing job in being able to overtake McAvaney as my most disliked.

Mark Fine as a DJ is horrendous.
Disagree. Reckon Finey is fantastic.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Nico said:
Best...Phil Ligett, the voice of cycling, especially the TDF. Think he's had a man crush on Jens Voight over the last decade by the way his voice changes when Jens is putting in the hard yards for his team. His knowledge of cycling is extraordinary.

Worst...BT. Buffoon.
Phil Ligett is the best in the world full stop. It's not just his cycling knowledge, which is superb, it's that great voice he has.

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
CarnTheTiges said:
Phil Ligett is the best in the world full stop. It's not just his cycling knowledge, which is superb, it's that great voice he has.
though it was about aussie commentators, but world wide, Murray Walker would have to be up there. And i'm not that into F1 either

agree with Phil Ligett too

Slinger

Tiger Cub
May 27, 2013
Best- Martin Tyler by the length of the Flemington straight. Honorable mention to Peter Donegan- reckon everything he does, he does well.

Worst- Brian Taylor (easy target I know, but he's just terrible). Dishonorable mention to Andrew Gaze- moron.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
I think Ray Warren is pretty decent, but he has massive trouble holding his bias against the storm or QLD in SOO.

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
I look forward to the Open Championship to hear Peter Alliss, he is probably my favorite. Agree that Martin Tyler is excellent.
The only Australian guys I would say I enjoy hearing for the footy are Gerard Whateley and Healy. The rest are one of too dumb, too ockerish or too hyperbolic to bother with.
I live in the US and the F1 team and the soccer team on NBC sports are both really good. NBC sports are really growing, off the back of some smart TV licencing deals (F1, Nascar, EPL, some other US Sports, plus their brother station The Golf Channel) and putting together commentary teams that are well spoken and knowledgeable. An Aussie - Leigh Diffey - Heads up the F1 and is really good.

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
The Aussie golf commentators, in IBF and Wayne Grady, are both very good to listen to, and appear to be highly respected by their peers.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
hutstar said:
I live in the US and the F1 team and the soccer team on NBC sports are both really good. NBC sports are really growing, off the back of some smart TV licencing deals (F1, Nascar, EPL, some other US Sports, plus their brother station The Golf Channel) and putting together commentary teams that are well spoken and knowledgeable. An Aussie - Leigh Diffey - Heads up the F1 and is really good.

I love all the US commentators and sports presenters as they always commentate without any bias and mucking around (ala Brian Taylor) and just concentrate on the game. Brilliant analysis after the games too.

Mike & Mike is fun to watch without the stupidity we see here....where they try to be funny (i.e. KB's show and most of SEN, along with MMM at times)

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
Midsy said:
The Aussie golf commentators, in IBF and Wayne Grady, are both very good to listen to, and appear to be highly respected by their peers.
IBF's plays the Aussie card way too hard in my opinion. I guess the fans love it and of course I don't mind, but he is as biased as hell. Otherwise, he is very good where most of US golf commentators are middling, or in one instance the worst in the world (Johnny Miller).