Boat Discussion | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Boat Discussion

Azza said:
It's a good question, as part of a bigger debate about what population we should have, and how it should be sustained and catered for. It's a shame that neither major party wants to bite that bullet.

I know what your saying, but the question really should be, as a world citizen and one of the richer ones at that, what number should Australia be obliged to take or be required to take, rather than what number would we like to have - it is a subtle but very important difference and a view that would not be very popular in Australia under the current environment.

I'd also like to know if we're doing anything to improve the quality of life in other countries so there aren't so many people desperate to get out.

year of the tiger said:
I know what your saying, but the question really should be, as a world citizen and one of the richer ones at that, what number should Australia be obliged to take or be required to take, rather than what number would we like to have - it is a subtle but very important difference and a view that would not be very popular in Australia under the current environment.

I believe we're pretty high on the list when it comes to immigration. https://en.wikipedia.org/?title=List_of_countries_by_immigrant_population

The boat turnback ugliness is often confused with the fact that we actually do take-in a lot of people.

Azza said:
I believe we're pretty high on the list when it comes to immigration. https://en.wikipedia.org/?title=List_of_countries_by_immigrant_population

The boat turnback ugliness is often confused with the fact that we actually do take-in a lot of people.

yeah I know we take quite a few - doesn't excuse our recent immigration or foreign aid polices at the moment - I think my comment also refers to some other countries also

Agree with you there. Until we have a comprehensive policy that includes our own population growth, aid, foreign policy, and AGW, the tough on boats issue is a lazy vote chaser for both sides of politics.

Azza said:

according to wiki we are high on immigration but low on refugee intake, 48th, below countries such as Iraq, Burundi, Zambia and Rwanda.

Brodders17 said:
according to wiki we are high on immigration but low on refugee intake, 48th, below countries such as Iraq, Burundi, Zambia and Rwanda.

Yeah, I looked it up later. Compared with other countries that resettle refugees we're pretty bloody poor on a per capita basis.

343gizq.jpg

Azza said:
Yeah, I looked it up later. Compared with other countries that resettle refugees we're pretty bloody poor on a per capita basis.

I dont give a rats toss bag if the government paid the smugglers the boats were sent back .And to the most corrupt government in the way of government contract any where in the world Indonesia are no 1 at bribery money laundering .

MB78 said:
That's it. And I think the conversation needs to be directed this way. Otherwise we will keep going nowhere with no one giving any ground and using it as a tactic for cheap votes.

It would be a good opportunity for the Greens using the power in the senate to put this front and square as a mature topic of conversation.

What about politics in Australia in the last decades gives you the idea that our politicians are capable of mature conversation?

AMPS said:
Interesting to hear Noel Pearson on Q&A last night support the current policy. Acknowledged it resulted in less deaths at sea and less children in detention than the previous policy.

He was a bit more equivocal than that.

AMPS said:
Interesting to hear Noel Pearson on Q&A last night support the current policy. Acknowledged it resulted in less deaths at sea and less children in detention than the previous policy.

Noel Pearson is closer to the conservative side of politics than not.

the libs keep going on about less deaths at sea pay pay no regards what happens to the people sent back. are they arrested? tortured? killed? when they sent asylum seekers back the to the Sri Lankan regime they were fleeing from that they did not follow up at all what happened to them. are the children locked up in the country they are returned to? noone would know.
this policy has nothing to do with compassion.

gutfull said:
I dont give a rats toss bag if the government paid the smugglers the boats were sent back .And to the most corrupt government in the way of government contract any where in the world Indonesia are no 1 at bribery money laundering .

why is it so important that the boats were turned back?

gutfull said:
So you don't think it's a worry that the Australian government may have contravened Australian law, and now refuses to comment on whether it did or didn't? (This goes for the previous Labor Aus government too, BTW). Surely the law must be sacrosanct, and every government should act in accordance with the law.

Wildride said:
So you don't think it's a worry that the Australian government may have contravened Australian law, and now refuses to comment on whether it did or didn't? (This goes for the previous Labor Aus government too, BTW). Surely the law must be sacrosanct, and every government should act in accordance with the law.

What law may have been contravened WR?

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/jun/15/any-payments-to-people-smugglers-may-have-broken-australian-law