Books and good reads [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Books and good reads [Merged]

Azza

Tiger Champion
Aug 30, 2007
I really like the vision of the net and the future world Baloo, as well as playing around with the various virus ideas. It got me reprising my very dated and largely forgotten high school biology. The only thing that detracted for me was that it pushed the Sumerian stories too hard for my liking, which is funny, because they're partly what intrigued me initially. Perhaps if the Sumerian stuff was left a bit more vague rather than shoe-horning into the story so neatly?

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
This Is Anfield said:
Reading Android Dreams by John Scalzi - check out his book Red Shirts it's very clever also.

Cheers.
Redshirts was clever and quite funny in some parts, although I think we could have done with one less coda. It was a bit much to have it as a Hugo winner too, but then again it wasn't the strongest of fields this year.

This Is Anfield

Tiger Champion
Sep 25, 2013
Melbourne
CarnTheTiges said:
Redshirts was clever and quite funny in some parts, although I think we could have done with one less coda. It was a bit much to have it as a Hugo winner too, but then again it wasn't the strongest of fields this year.

Possibly - but nice to read something different.
The "Old Man's War" series was a decent read as well.

This Is Anfield

Tiger Champion
Sep 25, 2013
Melbourne
Azza said:
Ok, done! I think I have a new 'favourite' sci fi writer. For the time being anyway.

The whole polity thing seems to have come from Bank's Culture, but with it's own spin. Time to try to dig up some more polity books.

Started again on "The Voyage Of The Sable Keech" an Neil Asher book set in the same universe but part of the "Spatterjay" series - didn't grab me for some reason first up but that sometime happens & second time is ok.

Happy reading all :)

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
Baloo said:
Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson

Only dipped my toe in scifi but yes Forever War was excellent. Will have to get Snow Crash and report back. Thanks for the suggestions, currently hooked on the Jack Reacher books.

This Is Anfield

Tiger Champion
Sep 25, 2013
Melbourne
KnightersRevenge said:
Only dipped my toe in scifi but yes Forever War was excellent. Will have to get Snow Crash and report back. Thanks for the suggestions, currently hooked on the Jack Reacher books.

Read all the Reachers KR - takes me about two days normally.
Tom Cruise a good choice to play him?

KnightersRevenge

Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
This Is Anfield said:

I figure he must have bankrolled it. Given how important Reacher's stature is it was a very strange choice. Not a bad film and Tom definitely has some alien tech to look the way does at 50.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - by Mary Ann Shaffer (& Annie Barrows)

This historical novel was a lovely gift from my daughter. I was interested in Guernsey cos my son spent some time there. This is a history of the Island in the war, and the German occupation, told through a series of letter exchanges. There is a lovely warmth of character. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and will re-read almost immediately. It will be interesting to read it from the perspective of reading the letters knowing the characters rather than getting to know them as in the original read. A line in the book says "Perhaps there is some sort of secret homing instinct in books that brings them to their perfect readers.” I think it might be true.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
This Is Anfield said:
I read a Reacher book ages ago but it didn't grab me. I found a copy of Graham Yallops "Lambs to the slaughter" at the op shop for $1. I did have it originally 30+ years ago but list it.

Reading it now it's a pretty boring book. It was just rehashing each test blow by blow. He kept excusing the Australian team as "unlucky" so many times.

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
This Is Anfield said:

I've read them all as well, most more than once. Perplexed at the Ton Cruise as Jack Reacher casting, but still enjoyed the movie though it did stray from the
book a bit. Waiting now until probably next August/ September for next one.

This Is Anfield

Tiger Champion
Sep 25, 2013
Melbourne
bigwow said:
I've read them all as well, most more than once. Perplexed at the Ton Cruise as Jack Reacher casting, but still enjoyed the movie though it did stray from the
book a bit. Waiting now until probably next August/ September for next one.

Couldn't bring myself to watch it bw!

While you're waiting check out these:

Robert Crais - The Elvis Cole & Joe Pike series
Harlen Coben - The Myron Bolitar series
Dennis Lehane - The Kenzie/Gennaro series

Cheers

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
This Is Anfield said:
Couldn't bring myself to watch it bw!

While you're waiting check out these:

Robert Crais - The Elvis Cole & Joe Pike series
Harlen Coben - The Myron Bolitar series
Dennis Lehane - The Kenzie/Gennaro series

Cheers
Big fan of Michael Connelly (Harry Bosch & Mickey Haller novels) and C J Box -Joe Pickett series. Also enjoy David Baldacci, Will Robies books.

This Is Anfield

Tiger Champion
Sep 25, 2013
Melbourne
bigwow said:
Big fan of Michael Connelly (Harry Bosch & Mickey Haller novels) and C J Box -Joe Pickett series. Also enjoy David Baldacci, Will Robies books.

Yes to Connelly & Baldacci (his Camel Club books go ok as well), will try C J Box - thanks.

This Is Anfield

Tiger Champion
Sep 25, 2013
Melbourne
This Is Anfield said:
Started again on "The Voyage Of The Sable Keech" an Neil Asher book set in the same universe but part of the "Spatterjay" series - didn't grab me for some reason first up but that sometime happens & second time is ok.

Happy reading all :)

Realised why it never grabbed me the first time - I never started it! :-[
Enjoying it, although Spatterjay is not a planet I'd ever like to visit!

KnightersRevenge

Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
This Is Anfield said:
Yes to Connelly & Baldacci (his Camel Club books go ok as well), will try C J Box - thanks.

Read all the Harry Bosch novels love 'em all. Had a go at Jodie Picoult for a while but the one about the autistic kid pissed me off - lots of miss-information about inocculation I thought irresponsible in a best seller with a world wide audience. One book which I ought to hate but love is "Bless the Child" by Cathy Cash Spellman, only wrote 3 books I think, it has a very Harry Bosch like detective, Malachy Devlin. Was made into a terrible film starring Kim Basinger.

KnightersRevenge

Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
Baloo said:
Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson

Just finished it, powered through it while escaping the northern winter in Lanzarote. Thanks mate a very good read. The use of ancient myths reminded me of Bless the Child.

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
2666 by Roberto bolano definitely up there with all the great novels. Unspeakably engaging and clever. I am only half way through but savouring every page.