Books and good reads [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Books and good reads [Merged]

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
If like me you find history a bit dry give Peter Fitzsimmons a go. Kokoda was a great book don't mind admitting I shed a tear a couple of times. Loved his Batavia too. Reading his Ned Kelly treatment at the moment.

brigadiertiger

Tiger Champion
Dec 1, 2005
KnightersRevenge said:
If like me you find history a bit dry give Peter Fitzsimmons a go. Kokoda was a great book don't mind admitting I shed a tear a couple of times. Loved his Batavia too. Reading his Ned Kelly treatment at the moment.

Have read Kokoda and Tobruk both good books am planning on getting his Ned Kelly and also Eureka books. Also want him to do Gallipoli as well.

tigergollywog

Non-Hierarchical Boss Cocky
Feb 4, 2006
KnightersRevenge said:

Everything this bloke writes has already been written. He should be on the shelves of Aldi.

A strange thing happened to me today. I was reading The Kon-Tiki Expedition by Thor Heyerdahl (a balsa wood raft from peru to polynesia in 1947 to rewrite pacific anthropology) when a big wave came up the beach and washed my book into the sea!!! I was only about 3/4 way through too. Oh well, unlike my copy of the book, I know they wernt claimed by the Pacific.

This Is Anfield

Tiger Champion
Sep 25, 2013
Melbourne
Michael said:
TIA

Try some Aussie Crime, Garry Disher has a new one. Bitter Wash Road
Its about a whistle blower cop that gets moved sideways to the bush.
Full of lovely Aussie small town stuff like utes, milk bars, dodgy commodores, footy, oh and lots of iffy cops

I will investigate the new Rebus, big fan.

Just finished Blood Moon by Garry Disher, knocked it off in two days & enjoyed it. Snapshot was the Disher book I read a couple of years ago.
For those who enjoy the Peter Temple books, and the Jack Irish TV series, "The Broken Shore" has been adapted for TV> :)

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004
For those who like inspirational books,

I was given a copy of Ken Robinson's 2009 book, The Element, by a fellow teacher as a Christmas gift.
You may be familiar with Ken Robinson through his TED Talks on education killing creativity, etc.

The Element is book about the point at which natural talent meets personal passion. When people arrive at the Element, they feel most themselves, most inspired, and achieve at their highest levels.

The Element draws on the stories of the likes of Paul McCartney, Matt Groening, Gillian Lynne, Arianna Huffingto, and many others; so it appeals to both genders.

Ken Robinson has a great sense of humour, and his wit and charm are evident throughout the book.
I haven't finished it yet, but I am enjoying my pathway through it.

Azza

Tiger Champion
Aug 30, 2007
I'm up to Line War in the Polity series TIA. I read the Technician early, so that just leaves:
The Skinner;
The Voyage of the Sable Keech;
Orbus; and
Hilldiggers

Asher just seems to keep finding new sci ideas to play with. The way he chops his books up into different story lines certainly keeps you interested.

This Is Anfield

Tiger Champion
Sep 25, 2013
Melbourne
Azza said:
I'm up to Line War in the Polity series TIA. I read the Technician early, so that just leaves:
The Skinner;
The Voyage of the Sable Keech;
Orbus; and
Hilldiggers

Asher just seems to keep finding new sci ideas to play with. The way he chops his books up into different story lines certainly keeps you interested.

Line War is a great read Azza, haven't read The Skinner yet myself - Orbus is a good one & carries on from the Voyage of the Sable Keech.
I'm really pleased you like them. :)

This Is Anfield

Tiger Champion
Sep 25, 2013
Melbourne
bigwow said:
Big fan of Michael Connelly (Harry Bosch & Mickey Haller novels) and C J Box -Joe Pickett series. Also enjoy David Baldacci, Will Robies books.

Just finished C J Box's "Blue Heaven" a stand alone novel & "Cold Wind" the latest Joe Pickett & liked them. Will find some early Picketts, thanks bigwow :)

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
This Is Anfield said:
Just finished C J Box's "Blue Heaven" a stand alone novel & "Cold Wind" the latest Joe Pickett & liked them. Will find some early Picketts, thanks bigwow :)

No probs Anfield. Also reading a bit of Don Winslow at the moment. Look out for 'The Winter of Frankie Machine', and the Boone Daniels books. Easy reads, and quite humorous, if a little dark on occasions.

This Is Anfield

Tiger Champion
Sep 25, 2013
Melbourne
bigwow said:
No probs Anfield. Also reading a bit of Don Winslow at the moment. Look out for 'The Winter of Frankie Machine', and the Boone Daniels books. Easy reads, and quite humorous, if a little dark on occasions.

You would like Christopher Brookmyre & Carl Hiaason then. On CJ Box, have you read John Sandford's Lucas Davenport series? Similar & about 20 books in the series/ :)

This Is Anfield

Tiger Champion
Sep 25, 2013
Melbourne
Oh yeah, I'm rereading Jim Butcher's "The Dresden Files" one of my favourite series of books EVER! Harry Dresden, professional wizard & PI. Love them.
Another great supernatural series is F Paul Wilson's "Repairman Jack" series - he wrote "The Keep" which was made into a pretty scary film.

God I love books! ;D

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
This Is Anfield said:
You would like Christopher Brookmyre & Carl Hiaason then. On CJ Box, have you read John Sandford's Lucas Davenport series? Similar & about 20 books in the series/ :)

Have read a bit of Hiaason, but not for a long time, and also a few Sandfords.
Scott Mariani's Ben Hope books are a good read also.

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
This Is Anfield said:
Oh yeah, I'm rereading Jim Butcher's "The Dresden Files" one of my favourite series of books EVER! Harry Dresden, professional wizard & PI. Love them.
Another great supernatural series is F Paul Wilson's "Repairman Jack" series - he wrote "The Keep" which was made into a pretty scary film.

God I love books! ;D

That might even be an understatement.. ;D

Deffo going to have a look at The Dresden Files (off topic Amanda Plumber is an amazing woman and artist)

Azza

Tiger Champion
Aug 30, 2007
mld said:
I haven't read a broad range of science fiction novels, but I'd probably say the ones that have really stuck in my mind have been Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy, and Isaac Asimov's Foundation.

Part way through Red Mars, mld. Great read. Thanks for the suggestion.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Gabriel Garcia Marquez is dead at 87. If you haven't already, do yourself a favour and read One Hundred Years of Solitude, one of the most mesmerising and brilliant achievements in literature. It can be a bit tough to get into, but if you stick with it, it will blow you away. In my top three.

tigergollywog

Non-Hierarchical Boss Cocky
Feb 4, 2006
spook said:
Gabriel Garcia Marquez is dead at 87. If you haven't already, do yourself a favour and read One Hundred Years of Solitude, one of the most mesmerising and brilliant achievements in literature. It can be a bit tough to get into, but if you stick with it, it will blow you away. In my top three.

RIP GGM. I read 100 years in colombia and got inundated with yellow butterflies. for real.

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
Got the latest installment in the Stephen Fry memoirs 'More Fool Me' for Christmas, enjoyed it.
Now reading latest Michael Connelly, Harry Bosch novel, also a Christmas gift.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Reading Robopocalypse by Daniel Wilson. About an intelligent computer that was built that then gets every robot (it's the future where robots work as "help") and anything with a computer in it to turn in man and try and wipe mankind out.

A good read, it's not a " not put down able" book but well written and not reliant on tech speak etc. Apparently Spielberg is to make the film (and has meant to for 4 years now!)

brigadiertiger

Tiger Champion
Dec 1, 2005
brigadiertiger said:
Have read Kokoda and Tobruk both good books am planning on getting his Ned Kelly and also Eureka books. Also want him to do Gallipoli as well.

So finally have finished Ned Kelly and was surprised at the end they hung him still was a decent read. And as I hoped he has done Gallipoli which I brought today so will have to start over the next few days.

One I would also like him to do is the history of our Indigenous soldiers although I am sure the next one out will be from WW1.