Brandon Ellis | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Brandon Ellis

tigertime2

Our cup runneth over!
Mar 22, 2008
Re: Welcome Brandon Ellis

My son has nicknamed him "Hawkeye" saw his highlight reel and said he can spot targets that no one else can an hit them.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004

bullus_hit said:
My main concern with that proposition is his lack of burst in the first three steps, he takes a while to get the pistons moving which may hamper his long term midfield aspirations.

Agree BH.

Its not fait accompli that he can be a midfielder.

& if he doesnt he has some deficiencies that may show out more.

Hopefully the kid can overcome them as he does have some good attributes as well.

GEDS1

Richo's last lap
Apr 15, 2007

His got good speed when up and going, good agility, good leap, good kick on both sides, great endurance, hard as a cats head - sorry what don't people like ?

I would be more worried about a 190cm key forward being drafted.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com

spook said:
Just don't give him #15. It'll spook us all.
n6680670983086621759.jpg

casper68

Tiger Champion
Oct 20, 2004
dromana

its ok if brandon doesnt work out we can trade him to port in a few years for there first pick

tigs2010

Tiger Champion
Nov 21, 2009

Kav isn't a Bummer supporter. His dad is a Tiger as well.

Average speed and kick is why he "slid"/picked where he should have been.

GoodOne

Tiger Legend
Apr 2, 2004

From a standing start he is very slow but once he gets things moving he actually has a pretty good top end speed. In the sprints at Combine he was in the bottom 10% over the first 5 metres but he picked up speed on most others over the remaining 15 metres and ended up with a reasonable time of 3.05. This good top end speed was also borne out in the 30m repeat sprint where he managed a very good time to place him in the top 13% of those tested. That’s pretty good for a guy with significant pace concerns. In addition to the very good endurance tests he also was just outside the top 10 in the agility and both the standing and running jumps. The agility and jumping were great for a guy with his build and are important when assessing his ability to hold his own as a defender at AFL level.

Think we're overplaying the 5m sprint a little. He just needs to make sure he is never standing still, always on the move. ;D

GEDS1

Richo's last lap
Apr 15, 2007

Diff between him and Mitch are obvious and brandon can get off the ground via a leap.

Lennox Street

Tiger Superstar
Aug 23, 2011

bullus_hit said:
Possibly but from the naked eye, Lewis and Mitchell have decent acceleration. Ellis recorded some pretty poor 5m sprint times, in fact they were lumbering ruckman slow.

Very very rare to go from a standing start in footy. As long as he is one his toes or walking towards the contest he won't suffer over 5m.

The other thing people never take the time to do is get the calculator out and convert these times into metres on the ground. Figure out what they really mean.

Ellis is almost the slowest guy tested over 5m (1.16 seconds). Crozier is amongst the fastest (1.02 seconds).

So in 1.02 seconds Crozier will have covered 5m. Ellis will have covered 4.4m. The 60cm is less than an arms length, still in tacking range. Over the next 5m Crozier is only 0.01 seconds quicker. So the gap barely shifts. At 20m the speedy Crozier and the tortise Ellis are only 60cm apart (the gap is still steady at .14 seconds).

iLoVeNeWmAn

RFC - can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em
Apr 15, 2003
www.abcsports.com.au

tigs2010 said:
Kav isn't a Bummer supporter. His dad is a Tiger as well.

Are you talking about Kavanagh Tigs? My essendon mate was telling me he's a mad bomber supporter and idolized Hird growing up which I also read somewhere recently. My mate thinks every kid in the draft are "mad bomber supporters", so wouldn't mind proving him wrong on this one.

How do you he and his old man are tigers?

GEDS1

Richo's last lap
Apr 15, 2007

Lennox Street said:
Very very rare to go from a standing start in footy. As long as he is one his toes or walking towards the contest he won't suffer over 5m.

The other thing people never take the time to do is get the calculator out and convert these times into metres on the ground. Figure out what they really mean.

Ellis is almost the slowest guy tested over 5m (1.16 seconds). Crozier is amongst the fastest (1.02 seconds).

So in 1.02 seconds Crozier will have covered 5m. Ellis will have covered 4.4m. The 60cm is less than an arms length, still in tacking range. Over the next 5m Crozier is only 0.01 seconds quicker. So the gap barely shifts. At 20m the speedy Crozier and the tortise Ellis are only 60cm apart (the gap is still steady at .14 seconds).

Lennox thanks for the perspective.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004

Lennox Street said:

Great post. The standing start theory is spot on. It's about who can read the play and make the first movement to the ball. One of Ellis greatest strengths is his ability to read the play and put him self in the right spots. That 60cm won't matter.

After 24 hours I am even more happy that Lester will be in a Tigers jumper for the next decade.

monteath

Tiger Matchwinner
Oct 16, 2007
Richmond

SCOOP said:
Great post. The standing start theory is spot on. It's about who can read the play and make the first movement to the ball. One of Ellis greatest strengths is his ability to read the play and put him self in the right spots. That 60cm won't matter.

After 24 hours I am even more happy that Lester will be in a Tigers jumper for the next decade.

If those tests had been used 20 years ago, Diesel Williams would not have been selected by anyone. OK that was 20 years ago. my point is pick footballers, as long as their pace etc is at least on the page, they will kill an athlete every time.

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006

GEDS1 said:
His got good speed when up and going, good agility, good leap, good kick on both sides, great endurance, hard as a cats head - sorry what don't people like ?

I would be more worried about a 190cm key forward being drafted.

I'm not knocking the selection just questioning whether he'll make it as a midfielder, I actually believe he was the best available at that pick.

SCOOP said:

I haven't seen him play as a midfielder so I can't really comment but he is an excellent reader of the play and an equally talented decision maker, he's got terrific endurance as well.

All this discussion might be moot anyway, earlier in the year I mentioned Ellis as shutdown defender for the mosquito fleet. People seem to forget that we often get torn apart by small forwards and Ellis might be the answer, given that we have one of the leakiest defences in the league I'd love for someone to nullify those irritating goalsneaks.

Lennox Street

Tiger Superstar
Aug 23, 2011

monteath said:
If those tests had been used 20 years ago, Diesel Williams would not have been selected by anyone. OK that was 20 years ago. my point is pick footballers, as long as their pace etc is at least on the page, they will kill an athlete every time.

Williams wasn't taken 20 years ago. Blues rejected him and he doesn't get to Geelong until he is 20 (Tim Watson debuts at 15). If you are slow you need a trick or two. Williams' handball was off the scale good, and his ability to duck and weave and make tacklers miss in close were excellent. Matty Knights was slow but his arch of the back, side step, ability to back out of packs and make tacklers miss were excellent. He could duck his head and shrug his shoulders like Selwood does now.

Ellis has very good handball and keeps his arms free but it remains to be seen whether he is sharp enough to get his disposal away in traffic.