Brandon Ellis | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Brandon Ellis

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002
Re: Welcome Brandon Ellis

Lester,s reaction.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/elliss-new-home-at-tiger-land/story-fn53klc6-1226206023192

Uncle

" Black ops?"
Apr 24, 2009

I get the feeling that the we may have wanted Adams with our 1st pick but Im rapt we took Ellis.
I would much rather build a great backline than worry about our midfield.

For too long we have had a problem backline that can't rebound aswell as the premiership contenders
but this is quickly changing IMO.

I have never believed the problem was our talls not being able to hit their targets, those targets just
aren't there !
We added Houli to the mix and instantly we didn't seem to struggle our way out of the backline as much.
Our backline gained a player who constantly works hard to make space when he doesn't have the ball.

With Ellis being added to our list along with Batchelor last year our backline is fast becoming what Tiger
fans have long time been waiting for.

All that said, It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Ellis turns out to be a gun midfielder.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003

Uncle said:
I get the feeling that the we may have wanted Adams with our 1st pick but Im rapt we took Ellis.
I would much rather build a great backline than worry about our midfield.

For too long we have had a problem backline that can't rebound aswell as the premiership contenders
but this is quickly changing IMO.

I have never believed the problem was our talls not being able to hit their targets, those targets just
aren't there !
We added Houli to the mix and instantly we didn't seem to struggle our way out of the backline as much.
Our backline gained a player who constantly works hard to make space when he doesn't have the ball.

With Ellis being added to our list along with Batchelor last year our backline is fast becoming what Tiger
fans have long time been waiting for.

All that said, It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Ellis turns out to be a gun midfielder.

In time he will be a very good midfielder if that's where the club wants to play him; no doubt about it. Hard as a cat's head, very nice kick, solid build already; a true natural footballer. He has all the attributes of a good midfielder. Not super quick but not that slow either. No doubt they will play him as a small defender in his first 2-3 years with some bursts in the midfield.

Pretty happy with this pick at this early stage. Hard footballers with good skills; EXACTLY what we need; sounds obvious but they have been in rare supply at RFC up until now.

jimbob

Tiger Superstar
Jul 20, 2008
Traralgon

CptJonno2Madcow2005 said:
Lester,s reaction.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/elliss-new-home-at-tiger-land/story-fn53klc6-1226206023192

Hey, hey, hey.....Graham Burgin his current development coach ?? The Graham Burgin ? ex Tiger senior footballer ?

Feb 25, 2007

Didnt look slow to me, has good pace when needed, thats wat i was looking at his acceleration at certain moments of play...
Gonna b a ripper i reckon, can see Ellis and Morris tearing it up across half back and in time both these players could well rotate through the midfield, hard at it with strong bodies...

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003

Not sure why so many are pushing for this kid to somehow morph into a future midfielder. Given that most youngsters take maybe two or three full years to develop into senior footballers, I'd say he might be an ideal replacement for Newy when he's about ready to fade out.
Young backs like Grimey, Assa, Batch etc. may well allow us to push our skilled running backs in Lids, Newy, Bash up through the wings a bit more from next season and Ellis might also aid that release then replace Newy with his ball use and reading of the play from the backline.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003

couldn't quite put my finger on who he reminded me of - reminds me of coughlan in the way he runs and kicking style (with a bit more penetration).

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003

baktiger said:
Same... I wonder where this jumper came from (this was live at the time - trapped someone I think...)

Great pic. It would be nice if trapped was the one wearing the jumper on draft day next year.

terry_wallet

Tiger Cub
Mar 27, 2011
Bondi

yeah i do like the kid BUT im surprised that we didnt swoop on Kavanagh. The kid has the cleanest hands at draft camp number 1. Would have been weapon in the middle giving it off to Cotch, Dusty and Lids! Great swap for *smile* or tuck.

GD

Tiger Cub
May 18, 2008

GEDS1 said:
Must support the lad through and through.

On PRE.... Support..... don't know if that happens nearly enough... the "dud" emoticon is pushed more regularly.

tigs2010

Tiger Champion
Nov 21, 2009

terry_wallet said:
yeah i do like the kid BUT im surprised that we didnt swoop on Kavanagh. The kid has the cleanest hands at draft camp number 1. Would have been weapon in the middle giving it off to Cotch, Dusty and Lids! Great swap for *smile* or tuck.

Not a great kick though.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007

Harry said:
couldn't quite put my finger on who he reminded me of - reminds me of coughlan in the way he runs and kicking style (with a bit more penetration).
Geez Harry if he ends up like Coughlan I will be ecstatic!!!

There was one player cut down in his prime. :(

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009

Passing on kavanagh is gonna haunt us ala last year conca/heppell

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006

toothless said:
Passing on kavanagh is gonna haunt us ala last year conca/heppell

I was on the Kavanagh bandwagon for a while then I thought to myself, why would we recruit a guy who interviewed poorly, who has had serious hamstring issues, who has only played 5 quality games at TAC level (9 overall in two years), who has struggled to recapture his 2010 form and who appears to be a bit soft according to some who have worked with him at junior level. GWS obviously didn't think much of him to have overlooked him on 11 occasions, I don't doubt there's ability there but there's also way too many question marks to go risking a first rounder.

As for Heppell haunting us, who is actually haunted by the fact we chose Conca? Heppell maybe in front at this early stage but let's not get ahead of ourselves, winning a Rising Star Award is great but there's another deacade of football ahead of these guys.

tigs2010

Tiger Champion
Nov 21, 2009

GEDS1 said:
Where did it say that Tigs ?

Do u mean in the post i quoted or where did i read it?

I've heard it from a few places. He's not bad but pretty meh. Just an average player.

RedanTiger

Tiger Champion
Nov 21, 2004

:dontfeedthetroll

Hint 1: "Terry Wallet"
Hint 2: 7 posts
Hint 3: Past posts critical of Houli, praising Bombers

Think Elton has less risk and more upside than Kavanagh and that was our second pick.
Hows Gumby and Meyer going by the way? Must be becoming expert at those recurring hamstring injuries by now.

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006

Kavanagh apparently ran a 3.08 for the 20m sprint, Ellis a 3.05 - interesting given the perceptions out there.