Brett Deledio (merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Brett Deledio (merged)

yeah the prelim loss would have been tough for him, but he should have at least showed some joy for his former teamates and some of his close mates. To not watch the GF the following week and go to the zoo instead showed quite a lot about his character imo. In saying all that he was a great player for us and I'm sure he was a great clubman, but his legacy was tarnished a bit with all this.

Reactions: 7 users
This. The rumour was he was part of some of the culture problems at the time. Anyway - he was a hell of a good player. I don’t blame him for making the move but in the end you make your own bed and sliding doors and all that. That’s life!
There was a lot of talk of factions in the playing group, cliques, senior players not talking to juniors etc. Lids was tarred with that brush but in all honesty that was how it was at Richmond long before Lids arrived.

Campbell and Knighter were said to be ringleaders way before Lids arrived. I will never forget Justin Charles referring to "Lord Campbell" one aftermatch in the social club.

I think was part of the stuff Newey and others worked so hard to put a stop to. Anyway, a long time ago now.

Reactions: 3 users
Couldn't find the original Deledio thread but Lids is this week's Homecoming Hero.
Must be a few mixed emotions here but good to welcome the former champ back to the club.

Reactions: 16 users
Couldn't find the original Deledio thread but Lids is this week's Homecoming Hero.
Must be a few mixed emotions here but good to welcome the former champ back to the club.
He spent a few years at GWS, but whenever you hear him talk, he’s still a Tiger.

Reactions: 4 users
He'll always be a Tiger champion to me, and I'll always feel for him that he missed our glory. Some say he was selfish or whatever, but he was our most consistent player for a decade. In a better team he would have had a mortgage on an AA half-back-flank.

Reactions: 14 users
He'll always be a Tiger champion to me, and I'll always feel for him that he missed our glory. Some say he was selfish or whatever, but he was our most consistent player for a decade. In a better team he would have had a mortgage on an AA half-back-flank.
Yeh he was a star. Not the most charasmatic guy but good at everything on the football field.

Reactions: 4 users

Superb player. Was doing Nat Fyfe while fyfe was still going to blue light discos

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Going by his commentating with the ABC, i think Lids has come to terms with the disappointment of not being part of our recent success. Have noticed him talking about the Tiges with a bit of affection.

Have never been able to decide what his best position was, he was so versatile.

He left Richmond because he was convinced we’d never be successful In his time.

It would have been hard to see the exact opposite play out

On the other hand his reaction afterwards confirmed that we moved him on for the right reasons

Would have been such a star at a club like the cats or the hawks. Like one of the greats of all time. But he got drafted to us in our darkest period.

It's a shame he had to go for us to get the ultimate success.

Reactions: 2 users
Couldn't stand him when he said he wanted a fresh start elsewhere.
But you couldn't blame the bloke.
Well deserved.
Who's next week Ottens or Maxfield??

My favourite player growing up. Weird that he was pretty underrated by the wider media and maligned by a lot of Richmond fans for a time (the curse of Buddy Franklin). He should have had at least 1 or 2 more AAs at HBF, but duds like Lumumba and Murphy got picked instead.

In fairness to lids, he did pull the right rein and get to a club thats premiership window did open in his time there… unfortunately his body shut up shop at the wrong time and Richmond opened another window that everyone thought was permanently shut with a busted latch and sealed by 40 years of paint by previous owners

• Haha
  • Love
Will be happy to applaud him on Saturday - great Tiger - great memories

Reality is that could have played out his career with a mediocre Richmond
or
He could chase a flag somewhere else such as Geelong or GWS

But we’d never have won flags with Lids in the team

Reactions: 1 user
The trade landed us Caddy didn't it after Lids was potentially going to Geelong.
We also got Geelong's future first & third rounders.
Lid's ultimately did us a favour by wanting to trade his banged up body.
Such a shame he had such chronic injuries. Was so resilient for so long until that calf injury that curtailed his career.

Reactions: 2 users