Brett Ratten sacked | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Brett Ratten sacked

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Wow.... didn't see this coming from them sneaky sainters..... tight as a drum down there at the StKilda Disco.... the extensive search, numerous candidates and absolutely exhaustive process all coordinated by their president, who knows what it takes when it comes to world first recruitment practices, having founded Seek.com!
Had me blindsided. ..

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Lyon left StKilda, are they trying to convince him it wasn't the right move to dump them?

Can't see any other reason they would want him back. Has been a decent coach, questions over whether he still will be, questions over the list at StKilda.

No question over loyalty - he has shown by past actions that he has none . . . then again, StKilda have no loyalty either, sacking a coach barely months after renewing his contract.

As the Footyology article says - Love has found a way.

But it is likely to all end in tears.

On a more serious note, StKilda are a decent rebuild and a far better list away from being contenders. This really does smack of a short term fix when they need a long term plan.

DS

Reactions: 3 users

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
No doubt Lyon can coach but like milk, his coaching has an expiration date. Seems he he has about 5 years where players and assistants can tolerate his “demanding” ways before they get sick of it. Problem is St Kilda appear much further than 5 years away from being a genuine premiership contender.

Also, are we just going to ignore the sexual harassment allegations from his time at Fremantle? Yes? Okay then.

Eddie Bax

Tiger Cub
Aug 31, 2014
Nashville, TN
This whole saga, like the Essendon drama, smacks of the inability to recognize the real underlying issue: the list is just not very good.

That's probably driven in both cases by the overarching problem of chronic dysfunction in club leadership, but I digress.

I'll give Lyon credit, he took teams with some pretty ordinary bottom sixes to grand finals. But they were also teams with top end talent of the Riewoldt, Pavlich, Fyfe calibre.

The current Saints don't have that, and I doubt he can wring any more out of this list than when Ratten got them into the finals, especially with three years out of a coaching role. The game moves on fast.

Reactions: 1 user

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
He says he has unfinished business at the saints. Maybe he would have finished it years ago if he didn’t abandon them for more money elsewhere

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

Nico

You psychopathological reactionary!
Jul 1, 2004
Melbourne
This is my favorite line from the Footyology article:

"...if Lyon wasn’t so busy in recent years knocking back jobs he was never offered..." lol

• Wow
  • Haha

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Wow.... didn't see this coming from them sneaky sainters..... tight as a drum down there at the StKilda Disco.... the extensive search, numerous candidates and absolutely exhaustive process all coordinated by their president, who knows what it takes when it comes to world first recruitment practices, having founded Seek.com!
Had me blindsided. ..
Marx brothers.
TBV you have taken back in time.

Might have to dust off the old ‘video VHS tape, sit myself down and reminisce.

Those were the days of true comedy.

Reactions: 1 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Lyon left StKilda, are they trying to convince him it wasn't the right move to dump them?

Can't see any other reason they would want him back. Has been a decent coach, questions over whether he still will be, questions over the list at StKilda.

No question over loyalty - he has shown by past actions that he has none . . . then again, StKilda have no loyalty either, sacking a coach barely months after renewing his contract.

As the Footyology article says - Love has found a way.

But it is likely to all end in tears.

On a more serious note, StKilda are a decent rebuild and a far better list away from being contenders. This really does smack of a short term fix when they need a long term plan.

DS
Deserve each other!

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
If Brett Ratten was a ‘player’ the AFLPA mouthpiece Dangerdive would be over in the press, radio with Whateley saying how bad the player was treated.

The AFLCA hadn’t been heard. No outcry. Nothing about the fact he was signed up to an extension for two years and gets paid 6 months.

Where are they I ask?????????????????

Reactions: 1 user