Brett Ratten sacked | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Brett Ratten sacked

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
I may go agin the flow here but I rate Ross highly. One of the hardest p-Icks to play game. He is a tough so and so. Anyone who at the age of 16 yells at David Parkin to eff off from his front porch because he doesn’t want to go there (fitzroy) is no softee. He did end up there, at the Roy boys and all the old Roy’s supporters loved him for his no nonsense play. He has had 2 playing lists that have respected him enormously. He is a good coach. Full stop.
Great post. He was a mercurial player, could take hangers, kick both feet, loved a goal and moved beautifully. And was able to deliver a hip and shoulder as good as anyone. As you say his playing groups (in the main) have great respect for him.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Look at the teams below. Name a combined team. Start at the backline - how many dockers? Maybe McPharlin gets in the back 6. Fyfe gets in the side as does Sandilands, Pavlich, Walters, Hill? Neale?

Get serious YOT they simply don't compare yet Freo arguably should have won the game.

Hawthorn
Fremantle
I'm a Lyon fan, love him in the media. He can clearly coach. His St Kilda teams weren't brimming with talent either.

You missed Mundy as a Freo player who'd make that hybrid side. Neale wouldn't, considering he was behind Nick Suban for a game at that stage. I'd go something like:

B: Gibson Lake Birchall
HB: Burgoyne McPharlin Hodge
C: Smith Mundy S.Hill
HF: Franklin Roughead Rioli
F: Gunston Pavlich Walters
R: Sandilands Fyfe Mitchell
I: Lewis Breust B.Hill Ballantyne

Roughy could relieve Lurch for 5 minutes a quarter. 10 left-footers! Plus Mitchell, who was equally good either foot and actually used his left more than his right as his career progressed.

Reactions: 1 user

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
I'm a Lyon fan, love him in the media. He can clearly coach. His St Kilda teams weren't brimming with talent either.

You missed Mundy as a Freo player who'd make that hybrid side. Neale wouldn't, considering he was behind Nick Suban for a game at that stage. I'd go something like:

B: Gibson Lake Birchall
HB: Burgoyne McPharlin Hodge
C: Smith Mundy S.Hill
HF: Franklin Roughead Rioli
F: Gunston Pavlich Walters
R: Sandilands Fyfe Mitchell
I: Lewis Breust B.Hill Ballantyne

Roughy could relieve Lurch for 5 minutes a quarter. 10 left-footers! Plus Mitchell, who was equally good either foot and actually used his left more than his right as his career progressed.
When you look at it on paper there are zero weaknesses. Would be fascinating to do this over the years and compare the sides, can't imagine many would be much better than this one.

You could arguably have a Sewell on the bench in place of Ballantyne (I mean with Rioli/Walters/Breust little Ballantyne might be superfulous) but its a great side.

Reactions: 1 user

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Look at the teams below. Name a combined team. Start at the backline - how many dockers? Maybe McPharlin gets in the back 6. Fyfe gets in the side as does Sandilands, Pavlich, Walters, Hill? Neale?

Get serious YOT they simply don't compare yet Freo arguably should have won the game.

Hawthorn
Fremantle

I am with you MD re the dockers weren’t even close to the hawks re the quality of the two teams.

What I was trying to show is that Lyon still had a pretty decent squad to work with and therefore was able to get them to a gf - compare that dockers team to the current sainters squad.

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011
Lyon looking at doing a Essington and bringing in anyone that previously played for the club as an assistant.

Harvey, Goddard (Hayes is already there). Riewoldt and Montagna would be eagerly waiting by the phone.

Jobs for the boys.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Lyon looking at doing a Essington and bringing in anyone that previously played for the club as an assistant.

Harvey, Goddard and Hayes is already there. Riewoldt and Montagna would be eagerly waiting by the phone.

Jobs for the boys.
The ones that ‘lobbied’ for him!

Reactions: 2 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Looks like I was a day late.

Ross ‘the Boss’ will be announced at 1.00pm.
Interesting to see how he and Pepper Scott manage each club in such a short time. Both desperation appointments.

Reactions: 1 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004

Harvey, Goddard (Hayes is already there). Riewoldt and Montagna would be eagerly waiting by the phone.

Jobs for the boys.
Just caught a bit of Grant Thomas on the radio saying Lyon should get Goddard, Gehrig, Harvey, Riewoldt, Montagna back. And just read the Saints are after Andrew mcqualter!

• Wow
  • Haha

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
Just caught a bit of Grant Thomas on the radio saying Lyon should get Goddard, Gehrig, Harvey, Riewoldt, Montagna back. And just read the Saints are after Andrew mcqualter!

We should be driving McQualter to Moorabbin. His area has been our consistent weakness throughout his time in charge.

• Haha

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
Midfield has been a weakness ever since he took it over
joined mids coaching group in 2016 !, weve been OK since then :)

I dont have the coaching structure prior to 2019 but in
2019 Assistant coach, forwards: Andrew McQualter
2020 Assistant coach, midfield/offensive: Andrew McQualter
2021 Assistant coach, forwards: Andrew McQualter
2022 Assistant coach Stoppage Andrew McQualter