Burqa Poll | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Burqa Poll

What do you think should be the situation with burqas?

• Anyone should be able to wear them

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Only Muslims should be able to wear them

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • No issues as long as have to be removed if requested by authorities

Votes: 28 38.9%
  • Ban anything that covers the face

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • Same law for everyone

Votes: 16 22.2%
  • Couldn't care less

Votes: 6 8.3%

• Total voters

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
antman said:
So you are saying that AMTW was making a political point by wearing a Catholic nuns habit? Or vilifying Catholics?
No, he wasn't. But it's like blackface, you just don't do it, times have changed, you can't dress up and mock a religion.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
tigertim said:
No, he wasn't. But it's like blackface, you just don't do it, times have changed, you can't dress up and mock a religion.

Do you think his intention was to mock a religion?

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
No doubt it was a stunt by Hanson, but I think she scored with it. It was quite confronting. The burqa is effectively a barrier separating us and them.

Yep. She got exactly what she wanted. Played to her constituency superbly. Got on the front page and the Bolt Report.

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
antman said:
Do you think his intention was to mock a religion?
well I doubt he was paying his respects but just like you can't be a casual racist or a casual sexist you can't be a casual ....what's the term...religious mocker.

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
glantone said:
Oh, and my mistake. I mistook your view that ‘outlawing stuff doesn’t seem like a path forward’ as a passive response to an issue which I believe requires action – legislation - which would clearly upset those who endorse wearing the burka.

No worries mate. My hobby horse is the ever increasing use of legislation and forcing everyone into a bloated and prohibitively expensive legal system for every dispute. Law should be used sparingly and at the margins. It should not be the main game. The number of lawyers in parliament should be a canary in the coal mine for where democracy is going. (AFL is a good metaphor in terms of the over policing of the rules and ever increasing rule book creating new interpretations and requiring lawyers to be at tribunal hearings).

There was a stat a few years ago (actually probably poetic licence used in that final masterful Pacino speech in The Devil's Adbvocate) that there were more students in law school in the U.S. than were currently practicing (and we tend to follow them). I can't see how that leads to anywhere good for society.

KnightersRevenge

Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
tigertim said:

What a lot of complete rot. Religion is a set of ideas. Ideas are not protected. You can mock them as much as you want.

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
KnightersRevenge said:
What a lot of complete rot. Religion is a set of ideas. Ideas are not protected. You can mock them as much as you want.
I actually agree with you. I was playing devils advocate highlighting the conundrum that twists the SJW.

Pauline wears a burqa: outrage, she's being disrespectful.

Then the indigenous Anthony McDonald Tipingwuti wears a nuns outfit: nothing to see here, he didn't mean anything by it..

As I say it just highlights the hypocrisy of some people imo.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
tigertim said:
well I doubt he was paying his respects but just like you can't be a casual racist or a casual sexist you can't be a casual ....what's the term...religious mocker.

Feel free to be outraged.

As for Pauline, totally support her wearing a burqa when out and about if that's what she wants to do. Pulling political stunts in the Senate is the problem, not the dress itself.

As for making items of clothing illegal - that's just bizarre.

KnightersRevenge

Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
tigertim said:
I actually agree with you. I was playing devils advocate highlighting the conundrum that twists the SJW.

Pauline wears a burqa: outrage, she's being disrespectful.

Then the indigenous Anthony McDonald Tipingwuti wears a nuns outfit: nothing to see here, he didn't mean anything by it..

As I say it just highlights the hypocrisy of some people imo.

I rather hoped that was the case, but I couldn't resist the bait. Have to keep challenging the idea that religion gets to sidestep criticism and ridicule. All ideas should be able to stand or fall on their own merits. Religion is just an older idea that has intertwined itself with politics to protect it and to pervert/usurp power.

A nuns habit should be no more protected than a Viking helmet.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
antman said:
Feel free to be outraged.

As for Pauline, totally support her wearing a burqa when out and about if that's what she wants to do. Pulling political stunts in the Senate is the problem, not the dress itself.

As for making items of clothing illegal - that's just bizarre.

What is the difference in wanting to wear a burqa out and about and wanting to wear one in the Senate?

1eyedtiger

Tiger Superstar
Jun 2, 2007
What I'd like to see is next time there is a rally over this, all the anti-muslim protesters wear burqas and all the anti racist protesters (which is strange considering the nature of the religion they are defending :headscratch ) face a wall of people they can't see or identify.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
rosy3 said:
What is the difference in wanting to wear a burqa out and about and wanting to wear one in the Senate?

It's the intent I have problem with, not the wearing of the garment itself Rosy. Hanson wanted to inflame tensions for political goals. Thats the problem for me.

I have no problem with women wearing whatever they want whenever they want.

KnightersRevenge

Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
antman said:
It's the intent I have problem with, not the wearing of the garment itself Rosy. Hanson wanted to inflame tensions for political goals. Thats the problem for me.

I have no problem with women wearing whatever they want whenever they want.

Agreed Ant but I suspect the pressure from within communities and families even of violence makes the "choice" to wear it not a choice. Also I don't care what your reasons/intents are. Either anyone can wear it or no-one can. Religious garments don't get special privileges in my book.

As I said I have no problem with Hanson wearing it. The smart play for the Senate was to ignore her completely and go about its business. Everything else is hypocrisy and playing to the gallery.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
KnightersRevenge said:
Agreed Ant but I suspect the pressure from within communities and families even of violence makes the "choice" to wear it not a choice. Also I don't care what your reasons/intents are. Either anyone can wear it or no-one can. Religious garments don't get special privileges in my book.

Agree on Hanson, she got what she wanted.

On cultural practices, that's a complex topic. And it's not always violence and coercion, it's tradition/religion/family expectation and so on. And it's often the other women who "enforce" these practices.

I know plenty of modern feminist Islamic women who have problems with some of these practices but also affirm their right to be Islamic.

Of course banning anything often leads to an opposite effect and a hardening of attitudes so that's definitely not the way to go IMO.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
antman said:
Agree on Hanson, she got what she wanted.

On cultural practices, that's a complex topic. And it's not always violence and coercion, it's tradition/religion/family expectation and so on. And it's often the other women who "enforce" these practices.

I know plenty of modern feminist Islamic women who have problems with some of these practices but also affirm their right to be Islamic.

Of course banning anything often leads to an opposite effect and a hardening of attitudes so that's definitely not the way to go IMO.

Complexity generated through ignorance in most cases.

Foot binding was a cultural tradition, and I'm sure there would be plenty who would still endorse it.

Hard to argue that the burqa is anything other than a symbol of oppression.

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
And they are so practical to eat with.....

Attachments

• IMG_0321.JPG
    IMG_0321.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 8

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
MD Jazz said:
Complexity generated through ignorance in most cases.

Foot binding was a cultural tradition, and I'm sure there would be plenty who would still endorse it.

Hard to argue that the burqa is anything other than a symbol of oppression.

So you reckon clothing that symbolises oppression should be banned MD? Just asking.

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
Wow I didn't realize there was a race religion politics section of PRE!

I'd jut like to add 2 points:

1. The abaya (black dress) and burqa (head cover) are actually cultural garments worn by the people of Arabia. They are not religious items and can/are worn by all denominations in the area. Islam does call for women to show modesty and therefore outside of the GCC you're only likely to see Muslims wearing them.
2. My thoughts are I don't think the burqa should be worn in Australia in public. Security reasons alone, and it isn't an anti-islam thing it's like why we don't wear helmets in a bank. As stated it isn't anti-Islam or religious for me. Heck I live in Abu Dhabi and have absolute respect for the locals, their religion and culture. In fact all the local Emirati women I work with wear abayas. Nationally the vast majority don't wear burqas. They tend to wear hijabs, just covering their hair. This is just a thought and I could easily be swayed hearing the other side of this argument.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
sausage_meat69 said:
Wow I didn't realize there was a race religion politics section of PRE!

I'd jut like to add 2 points:

1. The abaya (black dress) and burqa (head cover) are actually cultural garments worn by the people of Arabia. They are not religious items and can/are worn by all denominations in the area. Islam does call for women to show modesty and therefore outside of the GCC you're only likely to see Muslims wearing them.
2. My thoughts are I don't think the burqa should be worn in Australia in public. Security reasons alone, and it isn't an anti-islam thing it's like why we don't wear helmets in a bank. As stated it isn't anti-Islam or religious for me. Heck I live in Abu Dhabi and have absolute respect for the locals, their religion and culture. In fact all the local Emirati women I work with wear abayas. Nationally the vast majority don't wear burqas. They tend to wear hijabs, just covering their hair. This is just a thought and I could easily be swayed hearing the other side of this argument.

You've been missing out.

Good post though - many see Islam as monolithic, which its not. There as many ways to be Muslim as any other religion.
On the security aspect though, crims wearing hoodies, caps and sunglasses commit crimes every day. Why don't we ban those?