Bye Bye Jack Higgins! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Bye Bye Jack Higgins!

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Way I see it is

1) he’s a bloody good footballer. You don’t snag 36 in an elite competition if you are not.

2) he has a poor attitude. Drops his bundle (and his pressure) if things don’t go his way. This is why we didn’t fight to keep him.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I reckon he’s an amazing story. Courage to come back after real trauma.

No doubt, and we as a club helped him through that, and then he boned us on the way out.

I have respect for him as a person in that he can overcome trauma and push through, as a footballer I have zero respect for him after the way he treated us.

Reactions: 8 users

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Way I see it is

1) he’s a bloody good footballer. You don’t snag 36 in an elite competition if you are not.

2) he has a poor attitude. Drops his bundle (and his pressure) if things don’t go his way. This is why we didn’t fight to keep him.
He's averaging 1.5 goals a game since moving to St Kilda, for a small forward that's elite but he's not without his faults, his defensive side needs some work. Could do with some more tackling pressure and 1%ers.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Way I see it is

Accurate

Reactions: 1 user

richards42

making the crowd roar
Sep 15, 2005
Gold Coast
Something changed where he was fun and part of the team and players looked like they enjoyed playing with him to a tosser .

Reactions: 2 users

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Yeah, looks that way…unless he was always a tosspot.

I have no idea, but I suspect this.

To start with he was cute, you know, ugly but interesting.

The problem with that gig though is that once you are no longer interesting, it is all downhill.

Speaking from experience

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

The_Celebrant

Tiger Superstar
Aug 18, 2018
malemelbournecelebrant.net.au
Why are we talking about this bloke?
Because it's a thread solely dedicated to Jack Higgins.

But, if you'd prefer, we can ask Admin to merge it with, say, the Nathan Broad thread, and just make random comments about Higgins over there.

Actually, I have a better idea. Let's create a thread devoted to former leaders of the United Nations, then make random comments about how we think Higgins might view the effectiveness of Kurt Waldheim, Ban Ki-moon and Boutros Boutros-Ghali.

• Haha

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Boutros-Ghali.

Now there was a hyphen who deserved a shot. Higgins not a patch in comparison. B-G could crash packs, get in and heavy at the coalface, and could take a grab. We should have drafted him when we had the chance, could have had him for peanuts, but history shows we took a chance on Clayton Collard. It still hurts me to think of how crap our recruiting was back then.

Ki-moon your quintessential downhill skier if ever I saw one. Made Fiora look like Schwarzenegger. Big pass for me, prefer Higgins. Seem to recall we were interested at the time, thank god we missed there.

Waldheim, fast hands on the handball, but limited kicking skills and just didn’t have enough impact on the game for mine. He was a Tigers supporter as a kid though.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

The_Celebrant

Tiger Superstar
Aug 18, 2018
malemelbournecelebrant.net.au
Now there was a hyphen who deserved a shot. Higgins not a patch in comparison. B-G could crash packs, get in and heavy at the coalface, and could take a grab. We should have drafted him when we had the chance, could have had him for peanuts, but history shows we took a chance on Clayton Collard. It still hurts me to think of how crap our recruiting was back then.

Ki-moon your quintessential downhill skier if ever I saw one. Made Fiora look like Schwarzenegger. Big pass for me, prefer Higgins. Seem to recall we were interested at the time, thank god we missed there.

Waldheim, fast hands on the handball, but limited kicking skills and just didn’t have enough impact on the game for mine. He was a Tigers supporter as a kid though.
:rotfl1

Fully agree.

To my eternal shame, I forgot to mention U Thant who, if you recall, was one of those 'almost' blokes ... never quite taking his chances.

But, to be fair, for a kid who had overcome cholera, dengue fever and eight liver transplants, he truly set an example for others to follow.

Also, what's not generally known is that, after U Thant left the top job at the UN, he resumed his career as a plastic surgeon and was actually the guy who did the implant job on Dean Laidley.

No 4

I did what I did for the Tigers - Bridget
Feb 11, 2005
nunawading/mitcham
No doubt, and we as a club helped him through that, and then he boned us on the way out.

I have respect for him as a person in that he can overcome trauma and push through, as a footballer I have zero respect for him after the way he treated us.
That's my beef too.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
:rotfl1

Fully agree.

To my eternal shame, I forgot to mention U Thant who, if you recall, was one of those 'almost' blokes ... never quite taking his chances.

But, to be fair, for a kid who had overcome cholera, dengue fever and eight liver transplants, he truly set an example for others to follow.

Also, what's not generally known is that, after U Thant left the top job at the UN, he resumed his career as a plastic surgeon and was actually the guy who did the implant job on Dean Laidley.
ummm what has Dean Laidley got to do with it?
There is a thread Music Legends of the Afro-Plastic Mshroom scene where we should be posting about her.
Lets keep this thread for UN leaders only.

• Haha

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Actually, I have a better idea. Let's create a thread devoted to former leaders of the United Nations, then make random comments about how we think Higgins might view the effectiveness of Kurt Waldheim, Ban Ki-moon and Boutros Boutros-Ghali.
I did a subject about International Relations at Uni, and the lecturer was discussing Boutros Boutros-Ghali, and in an attempt at humour, he then referred to our Foreign Affairs minister as Gareth Gareth-Evans.

The theatre erupted in laughter, and he was pretty chuffed. What he didn't know at that moment in time, Gareth Evans son was sitting in the front row.

Now Evans was a decent player. He certainly was pretty good at getting in and under, just ask Kernot.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users