Bye Bye Jack Higgins! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Bye Bye Jack Higgins!

Absolute steal this guy. I've been talking about him for about 3 years. Have seen a lot of his games for Oakleigh and in the juniors.

Very classy. And will be able to play wing as well as forward. Potentially a better version of Corey Ellis.

evo said:
Absolute steal this guy. I've been talking about him for about 3 years. Have seen a lot of his games for Oakleigh and in the juniors.

Very classy. And will be able to play wing as well as forward. Potentially a better version of Corey Ellis.

great to hear thanks Evo

taztiger4 said:
great to hear thanks Evo
Amazed he made it to our pick. I expected him to go about pick 7.

They loved him at Oakleigh Chargers. Really surprised Ed Richards from the same team went ahead of him. Higgins was the class act IMO.

Mentioned he was the one to watch from Oakleigh a couple of years ago.

evo said:
my young bloke has played with Jack Higgins. Very good player

turk-d-tiger said:
3.07 is not a slow time its not elite but its quick enough

Higgins is very quick in reaction and anticipation

Dont think stephen Milne was elite speed neither is toby greene

Greene is the fastest player in the AFL based on match day recorded speeds.

FASTEST FIVE
PLAYER MATCH SPEED
Toby Greene (GWS) Semi-Final 35.3kmh
Jarman Impey (PtA) Elimination Final 35.3kmh
Seb Ross (StK) Round 19 35.0kmh
Connor Menadue (Rich) Round 13 35.0kmh
Jayden Hunt (Melb) Round 17 34.9kmh

bullus_hit said:

FASTEST FIVE
PLAYER MATCH SPEED

This list has Hipwood as the fastest based on match day speeds

1. Eric Hipwood (Brisbane) - 35.7 kilometres per hour

2. Ethan Hughes (Fremantle) - 35.6 kilometres per hour

3. Gary Rohan (Sydney) - 35.3 kilometres per hour

4. Connor Menadue (Richmond) - 35.0 kilometres per hour

5. Will Hoskin-Elliott (Collingwood) - 34.9 kilometres per hour

6. Jason Castagna (Richmond) - 34.8 kilometres per hour

6. Shai Bolton (Richmond) - 34.8 kilometres per hour

8. Jayden Hunt (Melbourne) - 34.7 kilometres per hour

9. Daniel Menzel (Geelong) - 34.6 kilometres per hour

9. Kayne Turner (North Melbourne) - 34.6 kilometres per hour

9. Charlie Cameron (Adelaide) - 34.6 kilometres per hour

9. Harry Taylor (Geelong) - 34.6 kilometres per hour

9. Daniel Rioli (Richmond) - 34.6 kilometres per hour

Source: AFL Live app
via https://www.triplem.com.au/sport/afl/news/gary-rohan-dethroned-as-the-afls-fastest-player

healp11 said:
This list has Hipwood as the fastest based on match day speeds

1. Eric Hipwood (Brisbane) - 35.7 kilometres per hour

2. Ethan Hughes (Fremantle) - 35.6 kilometres per hour

3. Gary Rohan (Sydney) - 35.3 kilometres per hour

4. Connor Menadue (Richmond) - 35.0 kilometres per hour

5. Will Hoskin-Elliott (Collingwood) - 34.9 kilometres per hour

6. Jason Castagna (Richmond) - 34.8 kilometres per hour

6. Shai Bolton (Richmond) - 34.8 kilometres per hour

8. Jayden Hunt (Melbourne) - 34.7 kilometres per hour

9. Daniel Menzel (Geelong) - 34.6 kilometres per hour

9. Kayne Turner (North Melbourne) - 34.6 kilometres per hour

9. Charlie Cameron (Adelaide) - 34.6 kilometres per hour

9. Harry Taylor (Geelong) - 34.6 kilometres per hour

9. Daniel Rioli (Richmond) - 34.6 kilometres per hour

Source: AFL Live app
via https://www.triplem.com.au/sport/afl/news/gary-rohan-dethroned-as-the-afls-fastest-player

Harry Taylor, who would have thought. Must have been downhill and wind-assisted.

4 in the top 13 sounds good but Harry Taylor?

Might be time for recalibration and cancel all fines.

bullus_hit said:

FASTEST FIVE
PLAYER MATCH SPEED

But they are not the speed times we are talking about here with the 0-20mtr times

very different to running all day at high speed compared to a 20mtr sprint , Higgins has a decent tank and at 3.07 sprint times im sure he will be more than fast enough for AFL

turk-d-tiger said:
But they are not the speed times we are talking about here with the 0-20mtr times

very different to running all day at high speed compared to a 20mtr sprint , Higgins has a decent tank and at 3.07 sprint times im sure he will be more than fast enough for AFL

Just making the point that Greene isn't slow, but my earlier point stands, Higgins doesn't play slow because he is always on the move, that usually means he is hitting packs at pace. Guys with the big tanks can do this, it's why Sidebottom gets away with being one of the slowest players over 20m but can still be damaging on the outside.

bullus_hit said:
Just making the point that Greene isn't slow, but my earlier point stands, Higgins doesn't play slow because he is always on the move, that usually means he is hitting packs at pace. Guys with the big tanks can do this, it's why Sidebottom gets away with being one of the slowest players over 20m but can still be damaging on the outside.

Thats exactly my view also mate, Biggest problem with Lennon was not his outright speed but more the fact that he just didnt have the repeat efforts or the ability to work when the ball was not in his area to make the ground to where it will be in the next 5-10 seconds of game

He is the exact footballer we need. A true/smart footballer.
Wrapt he lasted to pick 17

Harry said:
Nah, couldn't get past 4 minutes. Probably the most annoying irritating person I've ever listened to.

Jack must be dedicated to have put up with that cloth eared git.

Great and insightful post on the RFC web site today on Jack. How dedicated is this kid??

bullus_hit said:
Bully, was reading an article on young Higgins yesterday basically saying how hard he has worked on his game (kicking, running etc) and it dawned on me is this kid a natural footballer? or has he had to work for it too much? His kicking while maybe accurate looks aukward . Thoughts.......

Matt Clarke said he has high footy IQ, and from the 6 quarters of the U18 champs I watched that's certainly true.

Interesting though that he considers himself more of a fwd than a mid. I'd hope he can become a mid in time.

Good to see too that he'll be an umpires' pet.

mtench said:
Bully, was reading an article on young Higgins yesterday basically saying how hard he has worked on his game (kicking, running etc) and it dawned on me is this kid a natural footballer? or has he had to work for it too much? His kicking while maybe accurate looks aukward . Thoughts.......

I think this type of footballer will be quicker under pressure as a result of his many hours of training. His technique should hold up in finals better than natural footballers who have trained their biomechanics for less time than him. The concern is his ceiling, but when your ceiling is mostly held down by your ability to learn... when learning is endless and he now has access to a full-time elite environment... I'm not too concerned.

As for previously having a poor kicking technique, through hard work he became a good kick on both feet. That's impressive, Hampson still hasn't learnt how to kick within a 45 degree arc.

Natural biomechanics is probably one of the biggest teases that lead to misses at the selection table.