Bye Bye Jack Higgins! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Bye Bye Jack Higgins!

caesar said:
MadT if you can direct me where it say's he has done a sub 3 sec for 20 it would be much appreciated.
bullus_hit said:
Don't think that is correct, 3.07 is the best time.

In an interview with #AskWoodford he states he runs a 15.3 beep and has done sub 3 sec 20m
[youtube=560,315]uhO7uAv7R4E[/youtube]

*warning* bloody painful interviewer. Some good insights with young Jack.

willo said:
In an interview with #AskWoodford he states he runs a 15.3 beep and has done sub 3 sec 20m

I watched the whole thing last night but by about the 3 min mark I wanted to punch the bloke in the head

If hes as good as some are saying and he hits the pre season hard with dedication and has a great start there is no reason why he wouldnt be in contention for a round 1 spot.

Will find out pretty quickly if some players have come back a little complacent and happy with themselves.

One player who certainly wont be complacent will be Broad knowing he has a 3 week holiday to come back from.

Shai Bolton and Jack Higgins may well be running around on the MCG come round 1 2018.

One thing about Higgins is that the club will need to keep on top of is the likes of that bloke & others getting in his ear and making him do more/or questioning what he is doing at the club. I know for a fact that sometimes he'd rock up to chargers training overcooked from doing too much work away from the club, and it meant his numbers suffered because of it. He no doubt learned some good things away from the club, and the initiative and behaviours are great too.

It's actually quite common for guys in the TAC to have coaching away from their TAC clubs, and even more common for those players to be cooked for their footy training.

That aside, these things tell me two things about Higgo: 1, super dedicated. 2, potential improvement in his physical capabilities as he'll be managed properly in a full time environment that wont allow for outside trainers to negatively impact preparation.

Daigoro said:
Bullus, if you have the data can you give us the success rate on sub 180cm players who run over 3s for 20 metres? Is it a concern?

3.07 is the average for all players so he's definitely not slow. I think for outside runners raw speed is more important but Jack is a hardened ball winner. Eddie Betts ran a 3.04 but plays much faster than his time suggests. Marc Murphy was 3 seconds flat, Neale was 3 seconds flat and Steele Sidebottom (184cm) who plays a similar role to Higgins ran a 3.25.

In the end a few fractions of a second isn't overly concerning, provided they have footy smarts and reasonable agility it shouldn't affect them. The two players in the draft who were slapped down for a lack of pace were Miers & Garner, both were in the very slow category.

willo said:

Wasn't at TAC testing but pleasing to hear, there can certainly be fluctuation with these times. Worpel's testing tanked at the combine compared to early season, not sure why. Bottom line is Higgins doesn't play slow, he's agile and always on the move, the Zorko comparisons aren't that far removed but Zorko is more of a straight line player whereas Higgins can be a little bit sideways. On this last point I noticed Jack making some real progress in being more direct, that also says to me he's really coachable. As a dangerous goal kicker he's dynamite, very rarely does he go scoreless, sometimes his radar is off but he's the type who could feasibly kick 30+ goals a season.

willo said:

You are not wrong about painful interviewer

craig said:
If hes as good as some are saying and he hits the pre season hard with dedication and has a great start there is no reason why he wouldnt be in contention for a round 1 spot.

Will find out pretty quickly if some players have come back a little complacent and happy with themselves.

One player who certainly wont be complacent will be Broad knowing he has a 3 week holiday to come back from.

Shai Bolton and Jack Higgins may well be running around on the MCG come round 1 2018.
Craig, the great thing about the twos going so close is there's a bunch of young blokes (Oleg, Shai, Menadue, Cellis, Short et al) who a) felt the pain of their GF loss, and b) know they weren't far off being part of an AFL premiership side. Anyone complacent will be quickly leapfrogged by any one of a number of eager young bucks.

Tigertough1974 said:
I watched the whole thing last night but by about the 3 min mark I wanted to punch the bloke in the head

I actually cannot believe how bad that guy is. I lasted about two minutes

Tigertough1974 said:
I got to 3 mins and couldn’t hack him any more!

3.07 is not a slow time its not elite but its quick enough

Higgins is very quick in reaction and anticipation

Dont think stephen Milne was elite speed neither is toby greene

Smoking Aces said:
Maybe they just have a sh!t coach

To be fair, their mids are good, champion data doesn't rate the rest of their team, poor defence, *smile* house attack.

healp11 said:
Yep and he can back that comment up as well.
He has been training with Christian Woodford since he is 14 he also has had a running coach since he was 13 and a core strength coach for the past year. Practices 'touch skills' close quarters kicking and hand passing 45 minutes every day. During the 2017 season he reviewed the highlights and lowlights of every game with his TAC cup coach and his Caulfield grammar coach. Because of all the work he puts in he has not been injured once in the past 4 years, excellent biomechanics. This kid is the very definition of a professional he has been preparing for day 1 of preseason at an afl club for the past 4 years.

Here is a fantastic 40 minute interview with Christian Woodford Pre draft about how phenomenal his work ethic and professionalism is. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhO7uAv7R4E

Good video if you can handle listening to Woodford who looks and sounds like he's on Meth or Coke. We have a quality kid in Higgins though, great character, work-ethic & professionalism.

Nah, couldn't get past 4 minutes. Probably the most annoying irritating person I've ever listened to.

Just saw those highlights for the first time. This guy will play midfield no problems whatsoever. How quick were some of those handballs? Has special vision. Was very Edwards like. Will be great if he steps up to have yet another strong midfielder who can be damaging forward.