Caleb Daniel | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Caleb Daniel

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Would take after round 4, no earlier.

Think their still will be some good mids on the board before we consider this kid.

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
SCOOP said:
Would take after round 4, no earlier.

Think their still will be some good mids on the board before we consider this kid.

There will be 12 live picks between our 3rd & 4th round, might be cutting it fine but who knows. I think if we can get 2 mids with our first & second then picking up a potential small forward/midfielder with our third would be justified.

North Melbourne, St Kilda & Fremantle all interested.

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007
Similar situation to Nathan Hrovat - if he was 10 cm taller the talk was he would easily have been a top 6 pick last year (ended up being picked up at #21).

Although Caleb Daniel isn't as highly touted as Hrovat, if he was 10-15 cm taller, he would be right up there in draft calculations.

If he is available at our 4th pick I would grab him and run.

He is described as a mix of Brent Harvey and Stephen Milne.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
SkillzThatKillz said:
He is described as a mix of Brent Harvey and Stephen Milne.
That good n he's easily a first rounder. Considering he's such a short arse I'll be content if we take him cheaply as a third rounder.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
TigerMasochist said:
That good n he's easily a first rounder. Considering he's such a short arse I'll be content if we take him cheaply as a third rounder.

In the end he ticks all the boxes for a first rounder, he would probably have challenged for the Larke medal had he not missed the first 3 games through injury. That makes his performance even more remarkable, he had limited preparation yet still dominated the 3 games he played. Very few players have had such an impact in such a small amount of time. And it was no fluke, he has held his own at senior level and maintained his elite disposal efficiency. We could do a lot worse with pick 52, it seems just about right for a guy who ticks every box apart from height.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Might have to hope there's plenty of other interesting kids around n hope he lasts that long. We have a strong need for the pacy agile creative skilled small forward who can join in the midfield. Pick twelve is way overs, but after the first round who knows what will happen.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
bullus_hit said:
There will be 12 live picks between our 3rd & 4th round, might be cutting it fine but who knows. I think if we can get 2 mids with our first & second then picking up a potential small forward/midfielder with our third would be justified.

North Melbourne, St Kilda & Fremantle all interested.

If we are hunting for a small forward Bully, I would be ok with taking Toby McLean with our third pick, maybe even our second. Just reminds me of Jamie Eliiot so much. Knows how to sit on heads and take the screamer or get in the contest to spoil. If we had that extra second round pick, I would use it on McLean and the other three on mids.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
SCOOP said:
If we are hunting for a small forward Bully, I would be ok with taking Toby McLean with our third pick, maybe even our second. Just reminds me of Jamie Eliiot so much. Knows how to sit on heads and take the screamer or get in the contest to spoil. If we had that extra second round pick, I would use it on McLean and the other three on mids.

I had McLean pencilled in for a third rounder prior to the combine, then realised he was as slow as treacle. I still think he'll be drafted but I'd prefer a more nippy type for that role. Whilst McLean is freakish with his marking one has to weigh up how many times he'll be able to use that ability over the course of a match. There will also be the issue of defensive runners leaving him in the dust. He's a talent, that I can't deny, but there's a fair bit of work to be done to get him match fit.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Not that it matters much but Paige's phantom draft says he's 166cm (not 168).

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
tigertim said:
Not that it matters much but Paige's phantom draft says he's 166cm (not 168).

Have seen 168cm, 167cm & now 166cm. Maybe just take the midpoint. ;D

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
bullus_hit said:
Have seen 168cm, 167cm & now 166cm. Maybe just take the midpoint. ;D
Yeah. I'm 172 and am considered short so I'm all for anyone sub 170 to get an AFL gig!

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
tigertim said:
Yeah. I'm 172 and am considered short so I'm all for anyone sub 170 to get an AFL gig!

I reckon if this is Boomer's last year there would be a sense of romanticism about another 167cm player entering the fray. On ability I think Daniel has the tools to make it, it will certainly be interesting to see which club takes the plunge. My tip is he'll be St Kilda bound.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Gus said:
167.2 at the combine

Exactly the same height as Brent Harvey. Given Boomer is 75kg it will take some serious work in the gym to get even close to that but he seems to have a good build to pack on some extra muscle. The legs seem pretty skinny so some extra work there and he should be on his way, this will no doubt help with his acceleration too.

Gus

Tiger Matchwinner
Oct 18, 2005
SCOOP said:
Gus, thoughts on McLean?

Good footballer but there could be questions on how well he can perform at the next level. He is probably the type that will reach his ceiling in the first few seasons and it will all come down to how long he can play close to his potential. He was in the bottom 20% on the 3 sprint times at the combine but in reality the bottom 10% on two of them. In the 3 sprints, the players can test 3 times at each distance. The best time is the official time recorded. With McLean his 3 times for each distance almost mirrored each other which indicates he performed at his best on the day. He is a good kick and a quick thinker so that gives him a bit of an edge.

A lot of clubs don't put too much faith in the combine results as they back themselves to improve a player. Given he can get the ball and use it well there will be clubs interested in him.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
bullus_hit said:
Exactly the same height as Brent Harvey. Given Boomer is 75kg it will take some serious work in the gym to get even close to that but he seems to have a good build to pack on some extra muscle. The legs seem pretty skinny so some extra work there and he should be on his way, this will no doubt help with his acceleration too.
I'm not sure what Boomer weighed when he started, but he did look a bit skinnier then, and if we happened to pick up Caleb in the draft I'm sure one of the first things the club would do is put him on a program to build some bulk.

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004
Caleb Daniel stats

http://www.foxsportspulse.com/team_info.cgi?action=PSTATS&pID=192228654&client=1-3289-35003-246953-18513783

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Absolutely stoked for the lad, this was my highlight outside of Richmond's selections. Midget power is back with vengeance.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Yeah, it's a good story. Hope he does really well.

We drafted our first midget last night, hope we take another in the rookie via Jayden Short.