Callum Coleman-Judas - extricate yourself to Nth Ballarat, you git | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Callum Coleman-Judas - extricate yourself to Nth Ballarat, you git

Yes, but are we really "helping" Footscray getting their pick 17 for a pile of picks we are unlikely to use anyway?

Those later picks, especially with reduced list sizes, seem to be of little value to any club except a club which needs points for matching bids.

Seems to me we are helping ourselves as well as the club we trade with.

DS
Let them go in to the red.
Screw them. Never deal with the opposition..
Footscary are a gutter club. 55 members and they think there shiit dosent stink.
We should bid on Darcy and screw them even more.

Let them go in to the red.
Screw them. Never deal with the opposition..
Footscary are a gutter club. 55 members and they think there shiit dosent stink.
We should bid on Darcy and screw them even more.

Then we would watch pick 17 go to another club. If you want a sackable offence then not making a very good bid to get that pick would be grounds to question someone's competence in their job.

DS

Reactions: 1 user
Then we would watch pick 17 go to another club. If you want a sackable offence then not making a very good bid to get that pick would be grounds to question someone's competence in their job.

DS
You win.
I can't handle helping other clubs.
Look at Gc. You couldnt go any lower as a sporting organisation..What do they do?
They handballed there picks to another degenerate football club.
Swapping picks should be only allowed if they are used them on a player. Not because they need to dump it because of cap space or they have a F/S coming in.
Its about planning.
It will allow other clubs a better chance getting a FS off there club.
I just reckon there just tooo many holes the club's find.
I like the old system.
Pick 7 was your pick. You couldnt trade it, it was yours.
The 'Academy' *smile* fked up the draft. Thanks to Sydney kokweeds

Reactions: 1 users
I get angrier by the day thinking about CCJ. The way we supported him through kebabgate, costing us $100K but, more than that, costing us footy department spend and jobs for rusted on Richmond people. Investing in his development to the point where he finally gets on the park in the 1s and shows something. To turn his back on all of that and go to a club that he and his manager knows has strong bargaining power. I understand he needs to look after himself but to do so without regard to who has looked after you in the past is a *smile* dog act.

Reactions: 10 users
I get angrier by the day thinking about CCJ. The way we supported him through kebabgate, costing us $100K but, more than that, costing us footy department spend and jobs for rusted on Richmond people. Investing in his development to the point where he finally gets on the park in the 1s and shows something. To turn his back on all of that and go to a club that he and his manager knows has strong bargaining power. I understand he needs to look after himself but to do so without regard to who has looked after you in the past is a *smile* dog act.
I think about it this way.

Match payments count - maybe 100k/year difference in short term?
Your career is maybe 10 years with 5 years at top dollar.
Norf have guaranteed 4 years. We’d be speculating but maybe 150k/yr more at norf vs our offer and long term the view would be 50-100k/year more at north

So if you are going to make 400-500 more at another club in the next 3-4 years and have security what would you do? I doubt many of us would put loyalty and paying for past crimes ahead of that kind of coin. It’s just a natural outcome of us being successful and there being a salary cap. It’s just not worth the anger and I get the emotion but if Iwas CCJ I’d leave too I reckon and I’d reckon most here would as well.

The main counter would have to be off field support being more at Richmond than at north. But he doesn’t seem the media type etc.

Reactions: 3 users
Reckon the playing group were supportive of Mabs' decision to leave, not so sure with CJ. The unRichmond man.

Reactions: 1 users
Yep, let’s take a step back and look at it.

Richmond hasn’t bothered hiding it’s disappointment in both cases.

For Marbs, it looks like talks around family, opportunity, Gold Coast and lifestyle have been developing for a while. The trade seems blessed, no bad blood at all.

But the CCJ case is different. The club’s response is less the public sentiment of “disappointment” but more frustration.

To me, clearly we planned to lose one - Marbs, sadly but with our blessing.

CCJ was always part of future plans, with an offer tabled commensurate with our list structure and profile, along with a reminder that he has received gold-tier support from the club through a very difficult situation.

Perhaps the most cutting truth is that CCJ would know full well his chances of playing every game at Richmond in 2023 are pretty damn high. This talk of “opportunity” only applies to the unlikely scenario that all of Lynch, Riewoldt, Nankervis and Soldo play every game in 2022.

Similarly, the “opportunity” angle melts under the glare of his chosen club’s lack of success and resources. CCJ may indeed play regular football at NMFC, but if his definition of “opportunity” includes playing in winning finals, he will need to brace for disappointment.

So it comes down to immediate, stark-naked financial return, as it so often does for certain players. Despite everything CCJ has been given at Punt Road, despite the very real allure of future silverware and the associated promotional income that comes with it, despite the demonstrated assurances of a premiership club, the biggest and most stable club in the land, that he is a worthy and required player, Callum instructs his management to engage with NMFC for the instant gratification of *ok* dollars at a poorly-resourced, unsuccessful club with limited prospects. Again - consider the opportunity cost of lost endorsements as a successful Richmond player.

Nah. CCJ going to Arden St may be a football loss but a cultural gain.

And culture wins flags.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 13 users
Equates to giving CJ, pick 12 (26 & 38 points) for pick 17 and Tarrant
Id rather keep 26 and other picks in the 40’s to give WB points value
Apparently WB accepted the Adelaide offer for pick 17 yesterday but was on the proviso of Sydney accepting pick 17. Sydney said no.

Looking at the Adelaide picks they must have offered something like 23, 37 & 44 = 1,664 points or = pick 7 points wise. Do they get a WB future pick back (?). If not then it's hard to beat. That deal may still be on.

Melbourne received the WB pick 17

Tom Morris reports...

Four clubs have negotiated a mammoth four-way trade deal comprising purely of draft picks.
I cant understand the points - but wouldnt our picks have been better than 23, 44, 45??

ADELAIDE:
Receives: Melbourne’s future 1st round, 33 & 75
Gives: 23,37,44,62,66, future 4th round

MELBOURNE:
Receives: 17,37,49
Gives: Future 1st round, 33, 45

ST KILDA
Receives: 62,66, Adelaide future 4th round
Gives: 49

WESTERN BULLDOGS
Receives: 23,44,45
Gives: 17,75

Melbourne received the WB pick 17

Tom Morris reports...

Four clubs have negotiated a mammoth four-way trade deal comprising purely of draft picks.
I cant understand the points - but wouldnt our picks have been better than 23, 44, 45??

ADELAIDE:
Receives: Melbourne’s future 1st round, 33 & 75
Gives: 23,37,44,62,66, future 4th round

MELBOURNE:
Receives: 17,37,49
Gives: Future 1st round, 33, 45

ST KILDA
Receives: 62,66, Adelaide future 4th round
Gives: 49

WESTERN BULLDOGS
Receives: 23,44,45
Gives: 17,75

Looks like this year is a seller's market for high picks. Not so much for players.

I still think that CCJ is going because we don't want him. We can resign him if we want to. The North deal is not outrageous.

North know this, and they are offering trades on that basis.

I can't bear that we lose Coleman Jones. All he has to do is replace that useless Riewoldt, not the good one from StKilda.

And it's very important to Richmond who just fluked a couple of premierships that we hang on to elite players like Coleman-Roach.

Reactions: 2 users
But pick 17 could be used for Tom Mitchell or be used as a swap to get into the top 4 picks of the draft. We can't refuse to swap pics out of vindictiveness. That gets you nowhere
Usually I'd agree and I'm not sure why we'd take that tack with the Bulldogs but with Coleman-Judas and North I see it differently. Sometimes you have to take a stand and show you won't be walkovers. Probably won't be too hard for him to get there anyway given they've got pick 1 in the PSD but I say we try and make it at least slightly uncomfortable and not as easy as possible. Make a statement that we won't just accede to being screwed.

Yep, let’s take a step back and look at it.

Richmond hasn’t bothered hiding it’s disappointment in both cases.

For Marbs, it looks like talks around family, opportunity, Gold Coast and lifestyle have been developing for a while. The trade seems blessed, no bad blood at all.

But the CCJ case is different. The club’s response is less the public sentiment of “disappointment” but more frustration.

To me, clearly we planned to lose one - Marbs, sadly but with our blessing.

CCJ was always part of future plans, with an offer tabled commensurate with our list structure and profile, along with a reminder that he has received gold-tier support from the club through a very difficult situation.

Perhaps the most cutting truth is that CCJ would know full well his chances of playing every game at Richmond in 2023 are pretty damn high. This talk of “opportunity” only applies to the unlikely scenario that all of Lynch, Riewoldt, Nankervis and Soldo play every game in 2022.

Similarly, the “opportunity” angle melts under the glare of his chosen club’s lack of success and resources. CCJ may indeed play regular football at NMFC, but if his definition of “opportunity” includes playing in winning finals, he will need to brace for disappointment.

So it comes down to immediate, stark-naked financial return, as it so often does for certain players. Despite everything CCJ has been given at Punt Road, despite the very real allure of future silverware and the associated promotional income that comes with it, despite the demonstrated assurances of a premiership club, the biggest and most stable club in the land, that he is a worthy and required player, Callum instructs his management to engage with NMFC for the instant gratification of *ok* dollars at a poorly-resourced, unsuccessful club with limited prospects. Again - consider the opportunity cost of lost endorsements as a successful Richmond player.

Nah. CCJ going to Arden St may be a football loss but a cultural gain.

And culture wins flags.
Maybe..maybe but he also strikes as a bit of a baby.
Maybe those around him are seeking to blame his difficulties last year on the company he keeps and have been able to persuade him that he needs a fresh start.