Cardinal George Pell, The Catholic Church and Child Sex Abuse | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cardinal George Pell, The Catholic Church and Child Sex Abuse

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Just remember that if you don't express sadness at his passing, you are automatically a leftie cancel-culture woke communist.

Burning in hell is too good. Slow dry roasting would be better

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I've seen this mentioned a few times but I can't seem to verify it. Did Pell really say:

“Abortion is a worse moral scandal than priests sexually abusing young people.”

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Just remember that if you don't express sadness at his passing, you are automatically a leftie cancel-culture woke communist.

Burning in hell is too good. Slow dry roasting would be better

I'll plead guilty to most of that. I don't wish death on anyone but I can't say I'm sorry to see him go.

He clearly and actively protected paedophiles, I can't say whether he was one, for that he can only be condemned.

I have very little time for religion, but even as religions go the Catholic Church is not an institution which earns any respect from me.

DS

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I've seen this mentioned a few times but I can't seem to verify it. Did Pell really say:

“Abortion is a worse moral scandal than priests sexually abusing young people.”
Yes I believe he did. Not sure it was in public, in a meeting or conference.

Reactions: 1 user

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
So many of our country’s conservative leaders coming out today lauding this piece of *smile*, including the opposition leader who managed to play politics as well.

Whilst concentrating on the court case and his ultimate release they conveniently ignore that he protected some of the worst child molesters in the country and in some cases enabled them by transferring them only so they could offend again.

In doing so he ruined countless lives

Piece of *smile* is too good for him

Reactions: 2 users

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach
So many of our country’s conservative leaders coming out today lauding this piece of *smile*, including the opposition leader who managed to play politics as well.

Whilst concentrating on the court case and his ultimate release they conveniently ignore that he protected some of the worst child molesters in the country and in some cases enabled them by transferring them only so they could offend again.

In doing so he ruined countless lives

Piece of *smile* is too good for him
The best that can be said of the man is that apparently he slowed down to a crawl when driving through school zones.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne

And they're ignoring the fact that this was the finding of a Royal Commission that has never been quashed. They also ignore that his conviction was overturned on a technicality.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
I'm glad this is not on the RIP thread because the last thing I want is for this person is for him to rest peacefully.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
this is the type of heinous thing that happens when priests are forced to take a vow of celibacy. its not natural human behaviour.
I'm not sure if you can blame celibacy. Why boys??? It is abominable behaviour, one of my old teachers from St Paul's in Altona North has just been found guilty. He was being hidden by his order in the US, I hope he goes to gaol!!
There's a school of thought that priesthood didn't so much create pedophiles as attract them.
Likely a combination of the two sides of the coin interacting to create the absolute worst concoction. A perfect storm, so to speak.

I wonder too, whether in the seminary, there is secretive culture where the priests in training (and obviously their instructing priests) are committing all sorts of homosexual acts on each other, that they otherwise wouldn’t have got a taste for, or exposed to if they stayed in the outside world. Kind of how prison social dynamics work. Such phenomena intertwining with and reinforcing the self fulfilling cycle and culture of sexual abuse.

That’s not to say other religious organisations (such as the Anglican Church, or Salvation Army), or secular organisations (in recent times the Tasmanian department of education has been under examination for using similar past tactics as the Catholics, by shuffling accused paedophile teachers from post to post - as in, sweep them under the carpet rather than hold them accountable) haven’t had sexual abuse scandals surface. But it just seems to be so much more concentrated in the Catholic Church. And as pointed out, the idiosyncratic quirk is that it seems to be so heavily weighted towards sexual abuse against underage boys.

Last edited:

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Abbott and Howard at Pell's service. :sick:
Of course they are.
Even if you accept that Pell hasnt been found guilty of rape, and therefor is entitled to the assumption of innocence, his, at best, willful ignorance to the rapes committed by other priests, and his support for those priests, really highlights the priority of those in power at the catholic church, and those "conservatives" who dont just support him, but continue to offer unabashed praise.
(it should be debatable whether those in Pell's corner should be called conservatives, as i dont think they is any conservative about supporting a pedophile protector.)

Reactions: 2 users