Carltony | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Carltony

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Polec never lived up to pick 5. Billy Longer was Adam Pattison V2. Not a great loss there.

Yeo played 8 games year 1, 19 games year 2 under Voss, he wanted to go home, hardly Voss's fault.

Docherty arrived at Brissy with a hip issue, no preseason in year one. Didn't play at all and year two played 13 games under Voss, hardly poor management.

The Fev trade is what hurt his legacy. Gave up Lachie Henderson and pick 12 (Kane Lucas but a lot of good players taken afterwards and got Fev and pick 27 (Caluum Bartlett, Mitch Duncan) the next pick. And also when Fev was playing well, the Lions looked like flag contenders. Got smashed by injury.

The Carlton list is super average. Voss isn't the issue.
The Carlton list has holes but it’s not a bottom 4 team. You can’t absolve Voss of any responsibility in this.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
When do we start talking about Fagan as a failed coach? Wrong thread but gee he escapes scrutiny.
True Words Smokiey Bear.

Ol Mate Fago dropped the best shot at a flag in 2020 had everything gifted to them until the Cats tore them a new one in the Prelim. :mhihi

Reactions: 1 user

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Don't you think there's a pattern here? Polec played his best football once he left Brisbane, Crisp another who thrived at Collingwood, Yeo looked like a completely different player at West Coast. I see development issues, aside from the first 10 weeks of 2022 most Carlton players have gone backwards, even Cripps has looked cooked, this coming off a Brownlow year. I would love to inherit Carlton's list, the age profile of the spine is cherry ripe, the midfield lacking one quality ball user, perhaps two but I think you can sort that out in one draft. They are missing a couple of goal sneaks, that is doable and relatively instant impact with low end draft picks.

I think the big one is Walsh. Came on the scene as expected and looked very very good. He seems like an average plodder now, his disposals don't hurt you.

They put up a shot at 1 point on Sunday.

It was something like Walsh 27 possessions and only 2 score involvements. This is from a player that is not really inside, he plays outside and should be a big cog in their scoring chains. They compared that to Merrett, who had been tagged somewhat successfully by Curnow and they then moved him forward, it was something like 13 possessions for him for 7 score involvements.

You just cannot have a Pick 1, outside midfield type where only 10% of their touches end in scores. It wasn't as if Carlton weren't getting scores either (they just kicked a lot of behinds) but Walsh is the biggest blinking light around failed development at that club.

Reactions: 3 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
True Words Smokiey Bear.

Ol Mate Fago dropped the best shot at a flag in 2020 had everything gifted to them until the Cats tore them a new one in the Prelim. :mhihi

and they were spoon fed an elimination final win at their home ground with that ridiculous goal review last season.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
True Words Smokiey Bear.

Should I start a new thread?

The demise of Grandpa Fagan.

• Haha

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
It all comes back to the best kept secret in the AFL, the biggest factor in success is luck. No-one wants to admit it, because everyone needs to hang on to the feeling they have some control over their destiny, but with the equalisation measures in the competition, all you can do is hope you luck into the right group of players who click and are capable of winning.

I’ve always called luck being where preparation meets opportunity. Preparation and hard work is the biggest success factor.

I.e. Having a genuine chance to be successful is definitely not luck.

When you get into the actual end game of a season then injuries, suspensions, umpiring decisions, the vagaries of the draw annd where you play and the bounce of the ball can all play a role too. This is secondary but still a big factor.

Given you have no data to support your assertion and I have none to support mine we can each maintain our opinions.

Reactions: 1 user

tigers80

Tiger Legend
Jul 7, 2004
The popular word is a sheila on the board didn't want Ross Lyon. Otherwise he was home and hosed.

A lot of Carlton supporters are pretty f****d off at her and the club for kowtowing to what they describe as 'woke' management. Even more so now that Ross has the Saints up and about.
My friend Shane wanted Lyon
Shush Shhhh GIF by MOODMAN

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Here's why Voss is a poor coach, he inherited a premiership team and ran it into the ground with abysmal player management. Shunning a club champion in Bradshaw to accommodate a loose cannon in Fevola was only the beginning. he then proceeded to weaken the list further by selling future club champions in Docherty, Crisp & Yeo for absolute peanuts. His knowledge as a game day tactician also questionable, players like Walsh have been turned into outside runners while finishers like Cerra have been turned into extractors, wrong way around for these player types. At present the gameplan consists of bombing it long and hoping the talls mark the ball, if not the Blues have been found wanting due to a severe lack of crumbing talent. I'm not knocking him for the state of the bottom six but he isn't helping himself with the present approach. Carlton used to be the envy of every club when they had Betts & Garlett but have since attempted to turn midfielders like Fisher & even Walsh into part time forwards. If I was a prospective coach I would be licking my lips, the core is there with two Coleman medalists, a future captain in Walsh, Adam Cerra who is a classy finisher & Weitering who is an AA defender. There's also some solid replacements coming through the ranks, Cowan, Binns & Hollands plenty to work with. The difficult parts are already in place, one draft could solve plenty & perhaps one big trade similar to the SA clubs last year. Missed the boat with Brad Scott, he was the best bet from the field they interviewed. I was personally in disbelief at Vossy's appointment, one of the strangest decisions in living memory.

Nah, it's all luck apparently, nothing else.

Geez, I hate to think what StKilda did 130 years ago to have such bad luck for such a long period. Nothing to do with not being a well run club, or having the players.

Interesting to note that Voss has apparently sunk from being a great coach and is now just "capable of being a great coach".

The reality is that there is luck involved (nobody has said it isn't), but there are also a hell of a lot of other factors. Indeed, with the equalisation measures in place each little marginal gain a club can get is even more important. The competition is very close, as we saw with Hawthorn beating Brisbane last week.

DS

• Love

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Carlton frontrunners for Jade Gresham, perfect player to target, one more small forward & the side will look a truckload better.

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Jade Gresham has been injured on and off for a few years now. And right now looks a shadow of his former self.

Achilles 2021. Meniscus last year. Still knee issues in January of this year. Did they operate on the meniscus? When did he do the PCL? Missing games with that.

He is a star at his best. StKilda would be mad to lose him if they think he can regain it.

shad

Tiger Champion
Apr 6, 2010
Castlemaine
Jade Gresham has been injured on and off for a few years now. And right now looks a shadow of his former self.

Achilles 2021. Meniscus last year. Still knee issues in January of this year. Did they operate on the meniscus? When did he do the PCL? Missing games with that.

He is a star at his best. StKilda would be mad to lose him if they think he can regain it.
Yep. Killed us a couple of times.

Reactions: 1 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Wanker Whateley talks up Cartoon as if yesterday's game was the breakout. Even gets an emotional Blooze caller on the line calling his team 'awesome' after taking his son to the game. This prick lets others talk about our positive performances but can't stop sucking up Cartoon himself no matter how bad they are. Cartoon fans including Marge, calling in as if they won the GF.

BluesBloke

Tiger Superstar
Mar 15, 2012
Meh. A lot of people have taken the last while pretty hard as supporters, haven't stopped attending, haven't stopped caring,, so the win means a bit to them. Good on them. Nothing to begrudge IMO.

Personally I wouldn't have given a f*** had they got done yesterday, but then again I've removed myself from all the emotion this year. Some (many?) haven't, so it's their win to enjoy.

Reactions: 2 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Here is some trivia worth remembering:ROFLMAO::)

First and foremost, Carlton has lost more finals matches to Richmond than any other club. In total, Carlton has had 16 finals losses to the Tigers, with as many as 10 of these finals losses occurring in a row between 1921 and 1972. Carlton has also had four grand final losses to Richmond (1921, 1932, 1969 & 1973). This is the highest number of grand final losses to one team (alongside Essendon) that Carlton has received.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users