Carltony | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Carltony

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
3Aw reporting that Teague was told yesterday his services will no longer be required after rd 23.

Reactions: 1 user

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
3Aw reporting that Teague was told yesterday his services will no longer be required after rd 23.
Pretty sure he's still contracted isn't he? There is no way Scumton will resist the temptation of the messiah complex again; they will go hard after Clarkson.

And if Teague is contracted that will severely hamper the management of the soft cap.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Pretty sure he's still contracted isn't he? There is no way Scumton will resist the temptation of the messiah complex again; they will go hard after Clarkson.

And if Teague is contracted that will severely hamper the management of the soft cap.

Easy fixed - they pay Clarkson $5 for coaching next year and Hawthorn are responsible for the rest of his income.

DS

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Easy fixed - they pay Clarkson $5 for coaching next year and Hawthorn are responsible for the rest of his income.

DS
I said that was a possibility on the Clarko thread.

If you think about it, the Beyond Blues along with all other clubs will be thinking that the soft cap will increase back to normal maybe, in 3-5 years time. Therefore, when you've got a situation like they have, they ask Clarko to back end his deal while they pay out Teague. Clarko doesn't care coz he's getting the difference paid by Hawthorn. That helps the Beyond Blues not having to pay two senior coaching salaries next year and utilising the soft cap to its best degree in 2022. They amortise Clarko out over the next 3 to 5 years or whatever.

It then leaves Hawthorn with two senior coaching salaries to pay in 2022 and severely impacting their offield personnel and support structure for a first year coach. They could of course, ask Mitchell to back end his contract as well, however. But Hawthorn won't have the flexibility that the Beyond Blues will have i.e. up to $1m+. Hawthorn might have $200k to $300k at best. So still a significant impact on their soft cap for 2022 with a first year coach.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004

Don't have a great record with "Super" coaches.
Malthouse, Pagen.
It's where coaches go to die or cash in before retirement.

Reactions: 2 users

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
If the rumors are true, and they probably are, Chris Judd deserve an apology from a few so-called journos and assorted footy commentators. Called our Teague’s inexperience while he was only a caretaker and copped a huge backlash for his trouble.

Reactions: 1 users

BluesBloke

Tiger Superstar
Mar 15, 2012
Could bring in the best coach in the land and it still wouldn't matter right now.

The culture of the place is that far stuffed and it's not something fixed overnight.

It can't be changed by one or a handful, it has to be a total buy-in from everybody driving and adhering to standards and keeping each-other accountable. The club hasn't had that for many, many years.

The closest it's been after 2001 I'd say was during the Judd era, where fragments of the group bought in to how he would prepare and apply himself. But then there were also tales flying around at the time of how young players putting in extra gym work would be laughed at by more senior player(s) passing by. If that's true, then how must that have affected those players' careers? And the flow-on effect from that, where their careers feed into the next era?

This is a Carlton group made up of far too many conditional footballers, and one of the problems now is the only players I see really hurting after a loss are Weitering, Walsh and Silvagni. Those three can't change the culture by themselves.

Reactions: 6 users

Born_a_Tiger78

Tiger Rookie
Jul 16, 2008
Could bring in the best coach in the land and it still wouldn't matter right now.

The culture of the place is that far stuffed and it's not something fixed overnight.

It can't be changed by one or a handful, it has to be a total buy-in from everybody driving and adhering to standards and keeping each-other accountable. The club hasn't had that for many, many years.

The closest it's been after 2001 I'd say was during the Judd era, where fragments of the group bought in to how he would prepare and apply himself. But then there were also tales flying around at the time of how young players putting in extra gym work would be laughed at by more senior player(s) passing by. If that's true, then how must that have affected those players' careers? And the flow-on effect from that, where their careers feed into the next era?

This is a Carlton group made up of far too many conditional footballers, and one of the problems now is the only players I see really hurting after a loss are Weitering, Walsh and Silvagni. Those three can't change the culture by themselves.
That's good news.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
I said that was a possibility on the Clarko thread.

If you think about it, the Beyond Blues along with all other clubs will be thinking that the soft cap will increase back to normal maybe, in 3-5 years time. Therefore, when you've got a situation like they have, they ask Clarko to back end his deal while they pay out Teague. Clarko doesn't care coz he's getting the difference paid by Hawthorn. That helps the Beyond Blues not having to pay two senior coaching salaries next year and utilising the soft cap to its best degree in 2022. They amortise Clarko out over the next 3 to 5 years or whatever.

It then leaves Hawthorn with two senior coaching salaries to pay in 2022 and severely impacting their offield personnel and support structure for a first year coach. They could of course, ask Mitchell to back end his contract as well, however. But Hawthorn won't have the flexibility that the Beyond Blues will have i.e. up to $1m+. Hawthorn might have $200k to $300k at best. So still a significant impact on their soft cap for 2022 with a first year coach.
This would be brilliant. Sign Clarko up for 3-5 years, massively back end the deal. When things haven’t improved or have turned to *smile* after 2 years, the behind the scenes power brokers will get him sacked, as they seemed to have been doing for the past 20 years or so, they will have to pay him out and they will be hamstrung with their soft cap with the new coach

• Love

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
I'm sure we could learn to live with this for at least another generation or two :)) :))

• Haha

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
If the rumors are true, and they probably are, Chris Judd deserve an apology from a few so-called journos and assorted footy commentators. Called our Teague’s inexperience while he was only a caretaker and copped a huge backlash for his trouble.
Judd has been a bit abrasive when in the media but he calls it how he sees it and he not a dumb campaigner.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne

Well said BB Carlton are what the Tigers were every time we thought we were moving on up but its was falsehood.

The Tigers got it right by being brutally honest with each other from the very top down and then embracing each other and the club as a whole.

The ethos changed in one pre season and the Laughing Stock of 37 yrs won a flag and went on to win 3 from 3 in 4 years.

Carlton has a number of players to build with but as you say the mercenarioes are the issue, its hard to get those guys to rebuild or buy in to a culture if they haven't done so from their first day in.

It was the nobodies that lifted the RFC just as much as the stars.

Curnow, McKay and McGovern are a good front 3 to hit up if fit and focused. The question is can they get them there?

Jones, Marchbank and Weitering are as solid as you need down back, and Williams is a good player but needs to be at HB.

Jack Martin needs to lift also.

Carlton needs to hit its midfield hard with genuine class and another ruck then they will start making a move.

Cripps has been a giant for the Blues and Walsh is a gun but there has been no support with Murphy at the end.

Willams and Saad together was not good business.

They should've gone after a genuine midfielder.

They should also have taken Brandon Ellis as a hard running Wingman and Butler when they had the chance, as they both would've given the Blues genuine run and some forward line pace which they do lack.

Good stuff anyway BB always welcome here.

Reactions: 5 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne

Took us long enough to fix culture.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want Carlton to in another flag until we are at least a couple ahead, but as a Carlton supporter you would want to hope that the powers that be see what you are seeing.

DS

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Pacifically, and for all intensive purposes , I have the upmost respect for Tom Browne…..
I used to work for a privately owned company. Two blokes owned it pretty sure one had 51% the other 49%.

The senior partner could not for the life of him say the word “specific”. It always came out “pacific”. *smile* idiot. Geez he was a d!ckhead that bloke.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users