Carltony | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Carltony

The Blues review has been a boat race. Outcome was know before the start. Pavlich barely involved. Walsh present in a few interviews but a lot of players not involved at all.

Carlton getting Lyon is far to similar to the Malthouse appointment. Looking for a messiah instead of a Fagan, Noble, Longmuir or Rutten.

Reactions: 1 users
Am a big fan of Lyon, reckon he will get them in finals next year.

It's an absolute disgrace that Ross Lyon would publicly announce his interest in a job that is currently not available. Isn't there a Coach's Association? I'm sure they wouldn't endorse that. Mark Harvey should be making the Dimma call to Teague today. He knows exactly what that feels like.

Reactions: 4 users
It's an absolute disgrace that Ross Lyon would publicly announce his interest in a job that is currently not available. Isn't there a Coach's Association? I'm sure they wouldn't endorse that. Mark Harvey should be making the Dimma call to Teague today. He knows exactly what that feels like.
I suppose Lyon is not a member of the coaches association at the moment

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
This would be the second role that Lyon has accepted while a current coach was still employed. Sounds like a bit of a *smile* to be honest. Hope he continues his form and never wins a Grand Final

Reactions: 3 users
He publicly said last week he's not going to advertise for a job that still has a coach. Think from memory he also said that Teague was being treated unfairly too, although I may have the second bit mixed up.

Feeling sorry for Teague. Trying desperately to hold on to his job.

Ross Lyon would improve them short term with defensive improvement, but then eventually suffocate the life out of them with his conservative, grinding, dull and redundant game plan.

Ross Lyon would improve them short term with defensive improvement, but then eventually suffocate the life out of them with his conservative, grinding, dull and redundant game plan.
Lyon would expect a long term contract on huge $,$$$,$$$

Feeling sorry for Teague. Trying desperately to hold on to his job.
While I agree with you, you only have to look at the trends of late 2019 from when he took over to now that things haven't improved much, if at all. Teams are still getting five or six-goal run-ons (or 19 in the case of last weekend), and fans are fed up. They've then got to digest the same old in the press conferences after the match, honourable losses and excuses. Reality is, there aren't any more excuses.

I agree he's been thrown under a bus in a very public and humiliating way with a review announced mid-season (why not keep it in-house?) and there was only ever going to be one outcome from there, unfortunately. The board are to blame for that.

I don't think Teague has ever had adequate support in his assistants either. Couple that with the player-led charge to appoint him and it was always going to end in tears.

Should also add that Carlton is the ultimate coach-killing club.

EDIT: Hope the playing group (with a few exceptions) are happy too that they've now ruined another young senior coach. They've got to wear their share of the blame here too. Overpaid bunch of c***s.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Have Carltoon actual said Teague is gone?
What a guy, throws his hat in the ring despite carltoon not making an public announcement yet.
Who does he think he is? Karen Cornes!

What a guy, throws his hat in the ring despite carltoon not making an public announcement yet.
Didn’t Lyon walk out on the Sinners to go to the Frockers?

on FC last night he said he was very concerned for Teague, has respect for his plight etc etc then launched into a 10minute on air job interview.

• Sad
Writing on the wall now it seems.

While I'm not big on the messiah complex this club seems to have, Lyon could be what the underachieving list needs right now: a hard taskmaster who the players can't pull the wool over, as has been the case with Teague with the tail wagging the dog more often than not.

Very rarely do player-endorsed coaches work out, and that's what Teague was - the players pushed hard for his appointment.

I believe that by and large, Teague has had more talent to work with on a broader scale than what the past few Carlton coaches have had.

But one of the problems has been too many players getting away with doing the bare minimum for too long, cutting corners, turning up to pre-season unfit, only cracking in on game-day when it suits, and an acceptance that losing is OK. They're all by-products of an overriding poor culture, but the players would know all too well that they've been able to get away with a hell of a lot for a long time.

Quite often we've seen 'leaders' (and most players) of the side laughing and grinning with opposition after losses which are supposed to hurt, which I can't say I've seen happen with clubs with strong cultures.

One extreme example, which made me want to be ill, was in season 2020. Carlton are playing Adelaide (who were last on the ladder) late in the season, and it's Gibbs' last game.

Even before the ball was bounced, Carlton players are laughing and joking with Gibbs, and clearly not switched on. Here's Gibbs, a bloke that not only upped and left, but had tried to do so more than once, when the club was on its knees. That's his right, but the fact remains, he ditched the club and tried to do so more than once.

After the match, Murphy and Simpson rush over to chair him off! Gibbs played a blinder and was one of the best on the ground that day. Carlton had lost the game, got its pants pulled down in an embarrassing display to the bottom side, but also to a bloke who'd been playing reserves all year. That day, to me, was so befitting of the loser culture at Carlton. Loser culture. Wonder what the players and coaches of the '70s and '80s thought watching that?

Backslapping, grinning, laughing, before, during, and after the match with a bloke that had turned his back on the joint. It was one of the most weak as p1ss displays I've seen from a footy side (and its leaders), anywhere, and at any level.

Ross Lyon (or Clarkson) or whoever, won't be an instant fix to the deep-rooted culture problem, but maybe a step in the right direction and what this group of mollycoddled frauds need at this point in time. Time will tell.

(Watch this video and Caro and Kane Cornes are spot on, talking about the incident: )

POTY and its about Carlton.

I'm not sure the Blues have underachieved. They're just not that good. A few elite talents and a lot of crap. But then Ross has made that mix work pretty well before.

Not quite sure there's that much wrong with the list at Carlton now. They have a generational mid in Walsh, and elite bookends in Weitering and McKay. They just need a coach who's going to grab the bull by the horns, and that aint Teague unfortunately.

Might be an okay coach, but from where I sit I reckon Lyon is an ordinary guy.
Wouldn't like to be on his wrong side.