Carltony | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Carltony

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Took us long enough to fix culture.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want Carlton to in another flag until we are at least a couple ahead, but as a Carlton supporter you would want to hope that the powers that be see what you are seeing.

DS
Give yourself an uppercut David. You should have just said “I don’t want them to win another flag”.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Blight just said, why would Carlton want to get rid of Teague..........he's been the best of their last 4 coaches :banana :rotfl1:rotfl2

Whether that's true or not, I don't know, and don't care, but him saying that has given me a truckload of joy.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

BluesBloke

Tiger Superstar
Mar 15, 2012
Blight just said, why would Carlton want to get rid of Teague..........he's been the best of their last 4 coaches :banana :rotfl1:rotfl2

Whether that's true or not, I don't know, and don't care, but him saying that has given me a truckload of joy.
Teague, Bolton, Malthouse, Ratten.

Ratten > Teague.

Reactions: 2 users

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
If the rumors are true, and they probably are, Chris Judd deserve an apology from a few so-called journos and assorted footy commentators. Called our Teague’s inexperience while he was only a caretaker and copped a huge backlash for his trouble.
Didn't want a coach with training wheels was his term. (Think he said it on Footy Classified, but that was his only worthwhile contribution in his 2/3 years on the show)

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Teague, Bolton, Malthouse, Ratten.

Ratten > Teague.
Sacking Ratten was a disaster for Carlton, he coached them to 14 wins in 2011, they flogged the Bombers by 10 goals in the elimination final before losing to the Eagles at Subiaco by 3 points in the semi final.

He then won 11 game the next year and got the flick.

Getting rid of Ratten has set Carlton back 10 year and counting.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Charlie Curnow , IMO, will always be “potential “ before he eventually moves on to another club and slowly disappears (a la Patton and McCartin)
I think you undersell Charlie a bit. Much better footballer than those 2, essentially cruelled by injury. Feel sorry for him he is a teal talent.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Ross Lyon going for the job?
Didn't think he needed to top up his super any more

French Tiger

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2004
Ross Lyon going for the job?
Didn't think he needed to top up his super any more
Mate of mine who supports the Blues said there is some ridiculous stat where they have conceded 5 goals in a row on multiple occasions.

Lyon would help fix that problem with his defence based style.

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
Teague is gone for sure.
Tigers need to top up the coaches box for next year. If we haven't already got into Newman, I would have a crack at Teague. Much like Leppa he was put through the ringer as senior coach but the learnings he would have got through this time would be huge.
And when we pump Carlton by 10 goals in rd1 2022, how much fun would it be to see Teague with massive smile on his face sitting in the Tigers coaches box!!

Reactions: 4 users

BluesBloke

Tiger Superstar
Mar 15, 2012
Sacking Ratten was disaster for Carlton, he coached them to 14 wins in 2011, they flogged the Bombers by 10 goals in the elimination final before losing to the Eagles at Subiaco by 3 points in the semi final.

He then won 11 game the next year and got the flick.

Getting rid of Ratten has set Carlton back 10 year and counting.
A real 'sliding doors' moment for the club.

If they keep Ratten, then a stack of talent doesn't walk out the door (as they did during Malthouse's reign) and doesn't set the club back years.

An inch from a preliminary final in 2011...if not for the WA umpiring where Walker should have been given a free in the goal square with moments remaining, but we know how it goes over there. The narrative that the Blues have been nowhere for 20 years is a myth and a lazy narrative...there was genuine hope and excitement then. Also matched up well with Geelong back then, and the club was up and about in the early stages of 2012 before the wheels fell off...

What annoyed me (and continues to annoy me) about the Ratten sacking was the media went after him from after Round 4 of the 2012 season. Unrelenting, really. So they get their man later that season. Then a year or two down the track, the same flogs that called for his head every week were the same ones saying the club should have kept him. A lot of supporters - Carlton and opposition alike - were the same.

It all seemed like such a lose-lose situation for the club, from where it sits now. Dismiss the lure of Malthouse and stick with Ratten, and anything less than winning a premiership in the subsequent years would have been considered a failure, and the media and the public would have been saying they should have snagged a recent flag coach when they had the chance.

And obviously the path they chose to sack Ratten and go with Malthouse was proven to be a disaster.

There's a lot of that again in the current set of circumstances and history may be about to repeat itself.

Reactions: 3 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
The narrative that the Blues have been nowhere for 20 years is a myth and a lazy narrative...
We made a grand final, two prelims, three other finals series and had 13 seasons with 50% or better win records and we still hear we were terrible for 37 years.

It's about under delivering compared to expectation. Look at the Saints. 27 spoons and they put out a DVD when they win 10 games.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003

If they keep Ratten, then a stack of talent doesn't walk out the door (as they did during Malthouse's reign) and doesn't set the club back years.

An inch from a preliminary final in 2011...if not for the WA umpiring where Walker should have been given a free in the goal square with moments remaining, but we know how it goes over there. The narrative that the Blues have been nowhere for 20 years is a myth and a lazy narrative...there was genuine hope and excitement then. Also matched up well with Geelong back then, and the club was up and about in the early stages of 2012 before the wheels fell off...

What annoyed me (and continues to annoy me) about the Ratten sacking was the media went after him from after Round 4 of the 2012 season. Unrelenting, really. So they get their man later that season. Then a year or two down the track, the same flogs that called for his head every week were the same ones saying the club should have kept him. A lot of supporters - Carlton and opposition alike - were the same.

It all seemed like such a lose-lose situation for the club, from where it sits now. Dismiss the lure of Malthouse and stick with Ratten, and anything less than winning a premiership in the subsequent years would have been considered a failure, and the media and the public would have been saying they should have snagged a recent flag coach when they had the chance.

And obviously the path they chose to sack Ratten and go with Malthouse was proven to be a disaster.

There's a lot of that again in the current set of circumstances and history may be about to repeat itself.
I bet Ratten gives Kernahan a wide berth at premiership reunions and the like.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Took us long enough to fix culture.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want Carlton to in another flag until we are at least a couple ahead, but as a Carlton supporter you would want to hope that the powers that be see what you are seeing.

DS
It took us a long time and 1 off-season at the same time. change can come fast, if the (often invisible) ground work has been done.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003

From Brittain to Pagan.
From Ratten to Malthouse.
From Teague to ???? Messiah again.

Gotta get all the little foundation nuts n bolts sorted properly before you slap up the eighty story tower. Otherwise the whole lot starts shaking in the slightest breeze comes tumbling down in a big hurry.

Reactions: 3 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
From Brittain to Pagan.
From Ratten to Malthouse.
From Teague to ???? Messiah again.

Gotta get all the little foundation nuts n bolts sorted properly before you slap up the eighty story tower. Otherwise the whole lot starts shaking in the slightest breeze comes tumbling down in a big hurry.

Ross Lyon says he is interested in coaching again but has ruled out Collingwood. Surely already locked into the Blues.

Reactions: 1 users

BluesBloke

Tiger Superstar
Mar 15, 2012
Writing on the wall now it seems.

While I'm not big on the messiah complex this club seems to have, Lyon could be what the underachieving list needs right now: a hard taskmaster who the players can't pull the wool over, as has been the case with Teague with the tail wagging the dog more often than not.

Very rarely do player-endorsed coaches work out, and that's what Teague was - the players pushed hard for his appointment.

I believe that by and large, Teague has had more talent to work with on a broader scale than what the past few Carlton coaches have had.

But one of the problems has been too many players getting away with doing the bare minimum for too long, cutting corners, turning up to pre-season unfit, only cracking in on game-day when it suits, and an acceptance that losing is OK. They're all by-products of an overriding poor culture, but the players would know all too well that they've been able to get away with a hell of a lot for a long time.

Quite often we've seen 'leaders' (and most players) of the side laughing and grinning with opposition after losses which are supposed to hurt, which I can't say I've seen happen with clubs with strong cultures.

One extreme example, which made me want to be ill, was in season 2020. Carlton are playing Adelaide (who were last on the ladder) late in the season, and it's Gibbs' last game.

Even before the ball was bounced, Carlton players are laughing and joking with Gibbs, and clearly not switched on. Here's Gibbs, a bloke that not only upped and left, but had tried to do so more than once, when the club was on its knees. That's his right, but the fact remains, he ditched the club and tried to do so more than once.

After the match, Murphy and Simpson rush over to chair him off! Gibbs played a blinder and was one of the best on the ground that day. Carlton had lost the game, got its pants pulled down in an embarrassing display to the bottom side, but also to a bloke who'd been playing reserves all year. That day, to me, was so befitting of the loser culture at Carlton. Loser culture. Wonder what the players and coaches of the '70s and '80s thought watching that?

Backslapping, grinning, laughing, before, during, and after the match with a bloke that had turned his back on the joint. It was one of the most weak as p1ss displays I've seen from a footy side (and its leaders), anywhere, and at any level.

Ross Lyon (or Clarkson) or whoever, won't be an instant fix to the deep-rooted culture problem, but maybe a step in the right direction and what this group of mollycoddled frauds need at this point in time. Time will tell.

(Watch this video and Caro and Kane Cornes are spot on, talking about the incident: )

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users