Cashless Society !! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cashless Society !!

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
I just spent 16 days in Europe (10 days in London and 2 days each in Hamburg, Brussels and Rotterdam). And what I learnt is that everywhere is borderline cashless. I went to a few London pubs that were cashless. Obviously, sports stadiums were cashless (but it’s the same here).

But even the places that do accept cash… after you have ordered your pint or your meal, they shove the EFT terminal in your face expecting that’s how you intend on paying. That’s the culture now. If I wanted to pay by cash, I actually had to ask them if they accepted cash.

I had a few conversations with locals about this and apparently one of the initial post-lockdown rules was that cash was banned, and everything was paid by card. When they relaxed the rules, many pubs chose not to revert back.

Oh, and not one venue charged merchant fees. Not one.

Reactions: 1 user

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
The psychology of the fee being baked into the price vs it being tacked on at the end is interesting.

Saying you didn’t get charged a fee is baloney. You get charged the fee whether it’s broken out as a line or not. Potentially there is cash/card cross subsidisation but the cost to the business is there and needs to be covered in the prices charged.

I think as a business just baking it in is smarter and reduces that ill will feeling. Then searching out the lowest cost transaction fees means you can either lower prices and win more volume or take it as profit.

Cash handling has its own costs that don’t explicitly get passed on.