Cashless Society !! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cashless Society !!

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Again only 13% of transactions are now cash. It's going the way of the smoker I tells ya.

if they phase out cash,

they would have to have an amnesty period, where all cash gets handed in and turned to 0's on the internet.

imagine the semi trailers full of cash organised crime roll up with?

I worked for an heir of Abe Saffrons for about a year. Mr.Sin.

was reputed to have inherited a shipping container full of $50's, amongst other things.

was paid weekly in musty paper $50's.

Organised crime and black market will find a way - gold, bitcoin, contraband.

the only thing banning cash will do is make banks more money and the worker less.

I reckon we'd be better off phasing out banks and insurance companies

Reactions: 2 users

Greenie

Tiger Rookie
Mar 15, 2014
As old man Packer once said, not a precise quote but the gist is there, Your a fool if you don't minimise your taxable income as much as possible, 'coz why the *smile* should I give you bastards ( Govt ) my money to waste.
Agree with the concept of not paying any more tax than required but that is not the same as cheating on tax by taking cash and not declaring it.

Government may have plenty of inefficiencies but so does business. Again that's as someone in business for 34 years.

btw, about 5% of our retail takings are now cash. In 2000 I would go to the bank twice weekly, now once fortnightly and we are 7 times as big or thereabouts.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
I ordered 2 margaritas at a flash new bar in perth the other day and handed the barman a $50.

He goes 'um sorry, but we dont accept cash'

'Thats absolutely no worries' i smiled 'cause i accept margaritas any way they come'
Yeah I've had that happen a couple of times at bars and restaurants, its annoying and I'm sus if its legal. Both times, even though I did have a card, because I found it annoying I said 'well, its that or an I.O.U'. They did a miraculous policy backflip and took my cash, funny that.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Agree with the concept of not paying any more tax than required but that is not the same as cheating on tax by taking cash and not declaring it.

Government may have plenty of inefficiencies but so does business. Again that's as someone in business for 34 years.

btw, about 5% of our retail takings are now cash. In 2000 I would go to the bank twice weekly, now once fortnightly and we are 7 times as big or thereabouts.

Agree totally. There's a massive difference between tax avoidance (legally reducing your taxable income) and tax evasion (which is essentially what taking cash as undeclared income is).

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Cafe near home went cashless, then imposed a service charge to use cards.
Cash was pretty quickly re-instated once people voted with their feet, and went to the opposition.
While this has nothing to do with "cashless", I was at a coffee shop recently on a public holiday, it's one of the bigger coffee franchises. There was a sign thanking everyone for their understanding for the 15 percent surcharge that they were applying for the public holiday.
I asked the girl who served me whether she was getting penalty rates for the public holiday, she said that she wasn't.
I respectfully said to her that I knew the surcharge is not her doing, and said that I would've thought the surcharge was being added to pay her and the other staff penalty rates.

I didn't place an order out of principle.

Reactions: 4 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Yeah I've had that happen a couple of times at bars and restaurants, its annoying and I'm sus if its legal. Both times, even though I did have a card, because I found it annoying I said 'well, its that or an I.O.U'. They did a miraculous policy backflip and took my cash, funny that.

yeah amazing.

same, after my free margy gag, I pretended I didn't have a card (pretty easy to pull off for a sandy get X'er in unfashionable board shorts) and waved the $50 and said take it or leave it.

guess what?

While this has nothing to do with "cashless", I was at a coffee shop recently on a public holiday, it's one of the bigger coffee franchises. There was a sign thanking everyone for their understanding for the 15 percent surcharge that they were applying for the public holiday.
I asked the girl who served me whether she was getting penalty rates for the public holiday, she said that she wasn't.
I respectfully said to her that I knew the surcharge is not her doing, and said that I would've thought the surcharge was being added to pay her and the other staff penalty rates.

I didn't place an order out of principle.

my old man, who is an old trade unionist,

asks that every single time he sees service surcharge.

he calls over the waiter/waitress and if they're not getting penalties,

he pays bill minus penalty and tips the service staff the penalty

try doing that without cash.

other things to try do without cash; get a tradesman to come the next day; put money in a kids birthday card; call some fuckhead know-it-all in a pubs bluff with a $100 bill, have a bet at the races, signal at a busy bar with hopeless millennial staff that your really want a *smile* drink and maintain some sense of superiority, ever get takeaway food from asians, get your kids to get stuff from the shop without them coming back with a bubble-o-bill and full sleeve scanlons bubblegum tattoos and wiz fizz and a hotdog and a 2.25Lt coke, etc etc

the other thing about cash, is you stay anonymous to all the *smile* who want to scam you and send you a tsunami of ads for *smile* stuff for the rest of your life.

the rare times I buy stuff from Sydney tools or Harvey Norman - it goes like this

'are you in our system?'
'nuh - cash mate'
'phone number?'
'im not having dinner with you, I'm straight/too old'
'haha, nah its for the warranty'
'ill just hang on to the receipt you print me - ive got a shoebox'
'well if you lose the receipt, you have no recourse'
'yeah, look son, I bought stuff for 30 years before the internet was invented and I didn't lose one receipt for something that busted, plus, what if your database breaks? whose laughing then with a broken tool? me - I bring in my paper receipt, you fix it, all the while, I your boss doesn't sell my details to the dark web and I get ads for tools and tvs and Russian wives for generations after im dead'
kid rolls eyes and prints receipt, hands me change, and I leave.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 7 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Agree totally. There's a massive difference between tax avoidance (legally reducing your taxable income) and tax evasion (which is essentially what taking cash as undeclared income is).

I reckon if you got some modelling off the ATO of tax avoidance via cash (a tiler getting $1000 for doing $1200 worth of labour on your shower on a Saturday, or the Vietnamese lady not ringing up $8 for a pork roll),

compared to tax avoidance by the mega rich via trusts, parking offshore, dodgy tax haven registrations, trumpion accounting, rorting subsidies, using cheap foreign labour, fraudulent deductions etc etc etc etc etc etc etc

it be 100,000,000 times the losses by the cashless white collar avoidance

there's a weird class warfare kind of myth on here that tradies never pay tax.

when the reality is Ms Nuygen's bakery and the plumbers and brickies of Australia are doing the heavy lifting in funding our hospitals and schools along with all the PAYG hamsters.

its the CEO's and the billionaires who pay *smile* all and call the beachouse at Sorrento a depreciating boardroom

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
yeah amazing.

same, after my free margy gag, I pretended I didn't have a card (pretty easy to pull off for a sandy get X'er in unfashionable board shorts) and waved the $50 and said take it or leave it.

guess what?

my old man, who is an old trade unionist,

asks that every single time he sees service surcharge.

he calls over the waiter/waitress and if they're not getting penalties,

he pays bill minus penalty and tips the service staff the penalty

try doing that without cash.

other things to try do without cash; get a tradesman to come the next day; put money in a kids birthday card; call some fuckhead know-it-all in a pubs bluff with a $100 bill, have a bet at the races, signal at a busy bar with hopeless millennial staff that your really want a *smile* drink and maintain some sense of superiority, ever get takeaway food from asians, get your kids to get stuff from the shop without them coming back with a bubble-o-bill and full sleeve scanlons bubblegum tattoos and wiz fizz and a hotdog and a 2.25Lt coke, etc etc

the other thing about cash, is you stay anonymous to all the *smile* who want to scam you and send you a tsunami of ads for *smile* stuff for the rest of your life.

the rare times I buy stuff from Sydney tools or Harvey Norman - it goes like this

'are you in our system?'
'nuh - cash mate'
'phone number?'
'im not having dinner with you, I'm straight/too old'
'haha, nah its for the warranty'
'ill just hang on to the receipt you print me - ive got a shoebox'
'well if you lose the receipt, you have no recourse'
'yeah, look son, I bought stuff for 30 years before the internet was invented and I didn't lose one receipt for something that busted, plus, what if your database breaks? whose laughing then with a broken tool? me - I bring in my paper receipt, you fix it, all the while, I your boss doesn't sell my details to the dark web and I get ads for tools and tvs and Russian wives for generations after im dead'
kid rolls eyes and prints receipt, hands me change, and I leave.
Your dear old dad is a man after my own heart eZyT.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

Greenie

Tiger Rookie
Mar 15, 2014
I reckon if you got some modelling off the ATO of tax avoidance via cash (a tiler getting $1000 for doing $1200 worth of labour on your shower on a Saturday, or the Vietnamese lady not ringing up $8 for a pork roll),

compared to tax avoidance by the mega rich via trusts, parking offshore, dodgy tax haven registrations, trumpion accounting, rorting subsidies, using cheap foreign labour, fraudulent deductions etc etc etc etc etc etc etc

it be 100,000,000 times the losses by the cashless white collar avoidance

there's a weird class warfare kind of myth on here that tradies never pay tax.

when the reality is Ms Nuygen's bakery and the plumbers and brickies of Australia are doing the heavy lifting in funding our hospitals and schools along with all the PAYG hamsters.

its the CEO's and the billionaires who pay *smile* all and call the beachouse at Sorrento a depreciating boardroom
Just happy to pay my tax.

Really, more concerned about low paid Child care workers etc than tradies who generally are paid over the average wage.

All for going after the mega rich.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Just happy to pay my tax.

yeah im happy to pay for schools and roads and hospitals and provide welfare for the handicapped (not old fashioned term for disabled, meaning those that start life with more lead in the saddlebag and trail off).

im not against a couple of nuke subs either.

not so happy to astroturf indoor lacrosse fields for Kings and lithium subsidies for gina Hancock, but hey?

our tax system is broadly fair and well spent IMO.

I would like a 90% tax rate for over $1m/annum

who amongst us would argue against an $18m tax bill 22/23 for that snivelling cynical little psycho Alan Joyce?

Reactions: 1 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Again only 13% of transactions are now cash. It's going the way of the smoker I tells ya.

as soon as cash is gone

watch millennials invent an amazing barter system that's been invented and failed 100's of times,

simply because you can't harvest enough cherry tomatoes to get an architect to design your house.

so then they will invent a paper representation of relative worth that you can earn and accumulate.

and trade them.

they'll probably even invent a folding leather thing and a big thick concrete vault with alarms and locks, to hold your representations on your behalf.

then they'll float them on a global market, lend them, trade them

regulate them and skim em off. somehow invent a cherry tomato future hedge and make a small bunch briefly worth more than the representations of 10,000 hours night shift cleaning toilets

but thankfully the laziest and most useless will still be able to make their life amazing by selling something utterly useless or that doesn't exist on instagram, and has no equivalent representation.

Last edited:

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
as soon as cash is gone

watch millennials invent an amazing barter system that's been invented and failed 100's of times,

simply because you can't harvest enough cherry tomatoes to get an architect to design your house.

so then they will invent a paper representation of relative worth that you can earn and accumulate.

and trade them.

they'll probably even invent a folding leather thing and a big thick concrete vault with alarms and locks, to hold your representations on your behalf.

then they'll float them on a global market, lend them, trade them

regulate them and skim em off. somehow invent a cherry tomato future hedge and make a small bunch briefly worth more than the representations of 10,000 hours night shift cleaning toilets

but thankfully the laziest and most useless will still be able to make their life amazing by selling something utterly useless or that doesn't exist on instagram, and has no equivalent representation.
Ooooh! Almost reads like you bought a bitcoin or two at a bad time there Ezy.

• Haha

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
Belgrave florist lost up to $8000.00 on Valentines day due to no EFTPOS power thanks to the storm.