Cat B rookies | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cat B rookies

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Every single year, I'd be in contact with every single Australian kid finishing up from NCAA basketball commitments.

A lot of these boys have played junior footy, especially the Victorian boys. Give me 2 193+ cm ex basketballers with a footballing background and I guarantee you will turn up some gems.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
SCOOP said:
Every single year, I'd be in contact with every single Australian kid finishing up from NCAA basketball commitments.

A lot of these boys have played junior footy, especially the Victorian boys. Give me 2 193+ cm ex basketballers with a footballing background and I guarantee you will turn up some gems.
Adelaide making good use of the Cat B rookie with Keath and Greenwood.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Prefer to try a dozen basketballers before another Irish or Fijian flop.

Going to do some research on this.

Reactions: 1 user

H tiger

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 3, 2005
Miami style bling bling
SCOOP said:

This is an excellent idea Scoop.

So for the 2016/2017 NCAA season there was 176 Australians on college rosters. Information on all Australian NCAA basketballers is available here - https://basketball.realgm.com/national/countries/2/Australia/ncaa-players

I'm sure some of them could/would consider continuing their sporting careers in the AFL if their basketball dreams don't work out.

I am interested because I live in Miami and our UM basketball team has an Aussi guard on its roster. Not sure he would have the tank for AFL but some of the 176 would be suited. Definitely a interesting opportunity for recruiting.

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
SCOOP said:

Great post, SCOOP. Gotta be talent there.

The Lurker

In Victory We Thrive, Eat Em Alive
Nov 24, 2003
Melbourne
i know a Hawks supporter who sponsored the Kiwi kid that is now playing key back for them... sent a couple of messages to the RFC to let them know how they did it, but no one was bothered getting back to me.

Thats why Hawks are winners, way ahead of the game.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I love guys who email professional sports organisations with "helpful suggestions" and are then confused as to why they are not immediately ushered into a meeting-room with Neil Balme

Reactions: 1 user

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
SCOOP said:

I've always given extra points to basketball converts, aspects like reaction time, peripheral vision, agility & a general abilty to see attacks unfolding on multiple fronts. There's been plenty of success stories, Pendles being the most prolific but others such as Todd Goldstein, Jarryd Roughead, Kurt Tippett, Josh Jenkins, Marcus Bontempelli, Dyson Heppell, Dean Brogan, Troy Chaplin, Robbie Gray, Danyle Pearce, Chad Wingard, Stefan Martin & Sam Gray all played competive basketball. Richmond supporters tend to revert back to Matty Dea as the benchmark but even he managed to eke a career with little AFL exposure as junior. Just canvassing the list above, one thing that strikes me is the flexibility these players provide with their onfield roles, basketballers tend to be genuine playmakers.

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
antman said:
I love guys who email professional sports organisations with "helpful suggestions" and are then confused as to why they are not immediately ushered into a meeting-room with Neil Balme

;D

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
bullus_hit said:
I've always given extra points to basketball converts, aspects like reaction time, peripheral vision, agility & a general abilty to see attacks unfolding on multiple fronts. There's been plenty of success stories, Pendles being the most prolific but others such as Todd Goldstein, Jarryd Roughead, Kurt Tippett, Josh Jenkins, Marcus Bontempelli, Dyson Heppell, Dean Brogan, Troy Chaplin, Robbie Gray, Danyle Pearce, Chad Wingard, Stefan Martin & Sam Gray all played competive basketball. Richmond supporters tend to revert back to Matty Dea as the benchmark but even he managed to eke a career with little AFL exposure as junior. Just canvassing the list above, one thing that strikes me is the flexibility these players provide with their onfield roles, basketballers tend to be genuine playmakers.

Nearly every Australalian kid has played some Basketball these days but your point is well made, the ones who are good enough to play rep Basketball have all the tools. The ones who aren't seven foot tall tend to play as Point Guards and their whole job is to make the play. They become very good at distributing the ball around. They mostly play outside the key at its top, so they see the game unfold.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
antman said:
I know right, I emailed Steven Spielberg with a cracker of a movie idea and he hasn't had the professionalism to get back to me!

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
TOT70 said:
Nearly every Australalian kid has played some Basketball these days but your point is well made, the ones who are good enough to play rep Basketball have all the tools. The ones who aren't seven foot tall tend to play as Point Guards and their whole job is to make the play. They become very good at distributing the ball around. They mostly play outside the key at its top, so they see the game unfold.

Agree, this is the to narrow the focus. I'd be staring with all kids under 198cm and scouring those first. Hugh Greenwood looks every bit the 150 game player and there would be more out there.

antman said:

Even better are those who drink the kool aid and think the club knows best. Always.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
SCOOP said:
Agree, this is the to narrow the focus. I'd be staring with all kids under 198cm and scouring those first. Hugh Greenwood looks every bit the 150 game player and there would be more out there.

Even better are those who drink the kool aid and think the club knows best. Always.

We haven't won a flag for 37 years so those thinking the club always knows best don't have a strong argument I'd suggest SCOOP.. Therefore they need to get a better class of professional decision makers in.

Members actually running a club has been tried in one of the UK soccer leagues once, don't think it ended well though.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
antman said:
given some of the trade idea's i have read on BF over the years, if some of them have e-mailed the Club i'd be surprised if the Club even reads them any longer.

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
TOT70 said:

Probably worth making a list where this is concerned.

Scott Pendlebury - AIS Scholarship
Todd Goldstein - Australian u/19
Jarryd Roughead - Vic Country
Kurt Tippett - Queensland u/18
Josh Jenkins - Townsville Crocodiles Australian NBA
Marcus Bontempelli - Eltham Wildcats (played against Utah Jazz player Dante Exum)
Troy Chaplin - Victorian u/18
Chad Wingard - South Australia u/16
Jack Watts - Australian u/19
Danyle Pearce - South Australian Institute of Sport Scholarship
Dean Brogan - Adelaide 36ers Australian NBA
Tom Downie - Australian u/19
Archie Smith - Australian u/18
Robbie Gray - Nunawading Spectres
David McKay - Nunawading Spectres
Ricky Henderson - Ballarat Miners
Jack Osborn - US College Scholarship
Andy Otten - Victorian u/16
Mason Cox - Oklahoma State University
Brodie Grundy - Sturt Sabres
Christian Petracca - Victorian u/16
Stefan Martin - Australian u/20

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Matthew Day, 190 cm midfielder with the Oakleigh Chargers.

Under 16, Vic Metro Basketballer. Only played seriously for 18 months. Showing great signs.

Invited to the combine. Defs fits the ex basketballer background but will go in the draft after 30.

Blind Charlie

Talk is cheap,just do it !
May 20, 2015
Matt Dea was a pretty handy baller too IIRC.

Scouting the basketball ranks is a good idea that realistically should already be in place considering the track history.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Tom Cutler, drafted from Oakleigh Chargers by the Lions, was also a high quality basketballer.