Changes for Prelim v geel (Friday Sept 20) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Changes for Prelim v geel (Friday Sept 20)

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Shorty's penultimate destiny on Friday night.

run off the little ex-master.

humiliate him.

set a new metres gained record twice as far as the previous

Reactions: 1 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Let me simplify it.

What I am saying is no matter what Ellis does well, the focus seems to always be on what he doesn't do so well.

He ran his arse off on Saturday night, especially in the second quarter and plays a huge role in shutting down and creating spread.

Is he the most comfortable bloke in a contested situation? No, neither is Houli or Short because it is not the role they are primarily in the side to play. I reckon Tom Lynch would battle if we asked him to play as an inside mid, Astbury would battle as a wingman, Prestia would be a liability as a key forward.

So Ellis can play his role, put in elite numbers of kms of hard two way running and the focus is always on the other stuff. It's like Tom Lynch kicking six and all the posts being about how he didn't win enough clearances.

Ellis was soft in the contest, Ellis got beaten one on one etc, etc....

Yes everyone needs to go when it is their turn and he occasionally battles with that, the same way Houli has, but the times when he hesitates to go are very much in the minority. Does that mean he will win contested ball contests? Probably not because he is physically presented to run high distance at high speed. He isn't in the gym trying to break bench press records, he carries less weight and strength to allow him to run.

It's already documented that Hardwick focussed too much on his weaknesses and not enough on his strengths, I reckon a lot of posters should learn the same lesson.

Ellis was given kudos earlier in the season by many who are now voicing their concerns when he was playing better. But he has simply been woeful the last few. Not just for the minority of time 8n a game but quite a lot. His strengths have been below par as well. That is why people are commenting negatively. You can run all you like, there's no point if you aren't going to impact the game. I see Ellis path as very similar to KMac. Slowly slipping down the pecking order as other players move ahead of them. I don't think Ellis will be dropped its too late to risk other younger players, but this is a very opportune time to trade Ellis out, we should theoretically maximise our return on him. Hopefully he can go out with another premiership medallion around his neck.

silvertiger

Tiger Rookie
Aug 28, 2014
Let me simplify it.

What I am saying is no matter what Ellis does well, the focus seems to always be on what he doesn't do so well.

He ran his arse off on Saturday night, especially in the second quarter and plays a huge role in shutting down and creating spread.

Is he the most comfortable bloke in a contested situation? No, neither is Houli or Short because it is not the role they are primarily in the side to play. I reckon Tom Lynch would battle if we asked him to play as an inside mid, Astbury would battle as a wingman, Prestia would be a liability as a key forward.

So Ellis can play his role, put in elite numbers of kms of hard two way running and the focus is always on the other stuff. It's like Tom Lynch kicking six and all the posts being about how he didn't win enough clearances.

Yes everyone needs to go when it is their turn and he occasionally battles with that, the same way Houli has, but the times when he hesitates to go are very much in the minority. Does that mean he will win contested ball contests? Probably not because he is physically presented to run high distance at high speed. He isn't in the gym trying to break bench press records, he carries less weight and strength to allow him to run.

It's already documented that Hardwick focussed too much on his weaknesses and not enough on his strengths, I reckon a lot of posters should learn the same lesson.
You make really good points. However, I think a the potential replacements such as Mcintosh, Mendaue & even Markov will not give goals away like he does. His mistakes cost us goals. Hardwick gave him love - he needs to temper that love with the reality of his existence. Now that Ross has residual fitness I would rather hime on a wing.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
See, that is just simply wrong. Absolutely wrong.

In the qualifying final he was in our top six for disposals, disposal efficiency, metres gained (4th), clearances, and inside 50s.

By any definition that's not a woeful game, let alone a bad game.

How can you say it's simply wrong? It's an opinion, it happens to be the opinion of a few. There's no right or wrong in an opinion. Supecoach is often a fair indicator of a players game as it takes into account the things that Eliis has been woeful at of late. Despite his top 6 position in your selected stats he had the 3rd worst SC score in the team. Only Broad and Baker had lower and they were backmen playing predominantly lock down roles.

Ellis had a terrible game. I am sure many of his discretions would have been brought up in the game review. It would be a derelict of duty not to. His challenge is to pick up his game significantly in the prelim. We know he can play much better but it needs a change in attitude, the attitude we've seen him take into a game when he has gone in when it's his go and not be scared of footsteps.

Reactions: 2 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
This is the other thing. Banging on about how much Ellis runs in a game. Ok he runs and runs. But in my review in the first qtr alone I counted 3 times where he simply jogged without any urgency leaving his closest opponent as an easy target for the next possession. No point running around randomly and then not get near your man and pressure them when they have it. It directly cost us goals. Sorry not good enough. You need to defend when the opposition has the ball. He needs to watch Caddy on the other wing. Far more influential. 2 goals, many more score involvements, more inside 50s more rebound 50s, far more contested ball, more metres gained but I guarantee he ran far less. Smart.

Reactions: 1 user

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
Let me simplify it.

The argument/analogy would make more sense if had been really damaging on the outside.

But he played lots of roles badly.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Of course an opinion can be wrong. If I said Dustin was woeful in the qualifying final would that be wrong?

I don't know much about supercoach but I assume it is like AFL fantasy which had him 8th for us.

No AFL Fantasy does not penalise a player for the bad things, SC does. I find it pretty representative of my views of a players game in a lot of instances. It often shows out players like Ellis.

I don't believe Dusty was woeful in the QF but if I thought he was then it would be an opinion so no not necessarily wrong depending on the reasoning of the judgement. However when many people have the same view then it usually more likely represents an accurate reflection. I don't know anyone who thought Dusty had a woeful game. I know many who thought Ellis did with solid explanations for these views. You cannot categorically state that I am wrong as it is an opinion, a very valid one in my view.

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
Interesting week ahead.

If hawkins doesn’t play then ratogolea is their tall forward. We use astbury for him.
Geebong may have a plan X i dont know about.

If geebong go for the 1 tall forward then we will be happy.

Gives us the ability to use grimes and broady on smaller players.

If danger goes forward we put Grimes on him.

Danger out of the midfield makes Cotchin and Prestia smile.

Selwood should do the warm up with his head bandaged up already.

If we play soldo and nank v Stanley and Blicavs well they don’t have enough talls in defence to cover lynch Riewoldt & Nando.

Good luck Harry!

Geebong are one of 4 teams we haven’t beaten this year. The others are on holiday.
Be good to finish their season.

Reactions: 3 users

67 special

Tiger Matchwinner
May 12, 2009
Selwood played his best game of the year against WC......Hawkins played his best game for a couple of months. One won't be there and hard to see the other backing up again next week. Take nothing for granted, but Tiges should go in with justified confidence....

gold1

Tiger Champion
Feb 24, 2008
For me the most important selections needed this week are the bench starters.
What if: they BUMP Grimes? Prestia?Martin?
Plan B will be important.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Pickett has been absolutely huge late in both VFL finals & helped turn the matches our way. I've loved his midfield work & this is a string to his bow he has over some others mentioned. Is he a smokey for selection?

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Pickett has been absolutely huge late in both VFL finals & helped turn the matches our way. I've loved his midfield work & this is a string to his bow he has over some others mentioned. Is he a smokey for selection?
No chance. Was good but not huge yesterday.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012

Pickett is easily the most overrated player on our list.

And most aren't rating him.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Pickett is easily the most overrated player on our list.

And most aren't rating him.
Last qtr was good, first three were meh. Bung a full pre season into him n find out what we've really got rather than just snippets n hype.

tigertime2

Our cup runneth over!
Mar 22, 2008
Pickett does a lot of stuff that you dont get stats for.
If he did not play Saturday we would have lost.
Two weeks in a row has helped turn the Match....
Not so much a Match winner but certainly a momentum turner.

• Love

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
Like others have mentioned. Get a full pre-season into Pickett and I am a believer that he will be a pretty good player.
I've seen sufficient snippets to think he will be in the best 24-25 for 2020. And with a few things going right I could easily see him play regular senior footy.