Changes for Prelim v geel (Friday Sept 20) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Changes for Prelim v geel (Friday Sept 20)

tempany14

Tiger Rookie
Feb 25, 2008
3rd qtr in the VFL no one standing out so no obvious change . If hawkins is out do we need to have 2 rucks

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
Having a look at today’s VFL team that just defeated Port Melbourne, the only absentees were Rance Higgins and stack.
It was a pretty physical game.
I’m betting : no change.

Disco

Tiger Champion
Dec 4, 2004
Melbourne
So if Hawkins misses, what do Geelong do.
Do they push Taylor forward or go with Danger out of the square?
If we win the clearances, Danger will be starved of opportunity and they’ll be forced to move him on ball. This should work in our favour as Esave won’t be able to handle being the No. 1 forward.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Well subject to injury I say no change for next game. Pickett played 2 quarters of good footy. I was getting a bit excited after 1st quarter but he dropped out completely. Menadue had a blinder but he's been tried too many times at AFL level already and this is not the time to try him again. Ross needs more time. Stack, if he was a chance, needed to play at least some VFL today to see whether he has recovered enough. CCJ stood up again but he won't be replacing Nanks or Soldo at this stage. Balta non-existent until the last quarter. Chol started like a house on fire, jumping high for ruck contests and then just went back into that shell getting pushed out of the way easily and ended up playing forward only in the last quarter and a half. Anyone else on the radar? If there was they didn't stand out today.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

French Tiger

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2004
No change unless the weather changes the match committee’s minds re the 2 rucks , then it’s a tough call between Nank or Soldo

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Menadue Having a blinder
Menadue has played really well at vfl level for a number of weeks in a row now. Will definitely be an emergency for the afl team but I am expecting no change.
Will be interesting to see if stack gets up although I am not sure he is eligible to play vfl finals is he ?

Reactions: 1 user

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
Too difficult to pick the weather this far out ,

While the predictions suggest there may be some rain about , there are no guarantees it will be over the mcg on game time

Reactions: 1 user

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
After the VFl , Stacky and Balta in, Ellis and Soldo out.

Menadue and Ross close.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Will be interesting to see if stack gets up although I am not sure he is eligible to play vfl finals is he ?

I think he was eligible for this game just gone but not 100% as the rules seem overly complex and poorly written to me.

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
Don't believe there will be any change unless illness or injury strikes during the week.
Ross will probably be named as an emergency and may play (very slim chance though) if the weather really turns to *smile*.
Hardwick just needs to keep the 22 primed during the week and focused on playing contested footy from the first bounce.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Let me simplify it.

What I am saying is no matter what Ellis does well, the focus seems to always be on what he doesn't do so well.

He ran his arse off on Saturday night, especially in the second quarter and plays a huge role in shutting down and creating spread.

Is he the most comfortable bloke in a contested situation? No, neither is Houli or Short because it is not the role they are primarily in the side to play. I reckon Tom Lynch would battle if we asked him to play as an inside mid, Astbury would battle as a wingman, Prestia would be a liability as a key forward.

So Ellis can play his role, put in elite numbers of kms of hard two way running and the focus is always on the other stuff. It's like Tom Lynch kicking six and all the posts being about how he didn't win enough clearances.

Ellis was soft in the contest, Ellis got beaten one on one etc, etc....

Yes everyone needs to go when it is their turn and he occasionally battles with that, the same way Houli has, but the times when he hesitates to go are very much in the minority. Does that mean he will win contested ball contests? Probably not because he is physically presented to run high distance at high speed. He isn't in the gym trying to break bench press records, he carries less weight and strength to allow him to run.

It's already documented that Hardwick focussed too much on his weaknesses and not enough on his strengths, I reckon a lot of posters should learn the same lesson.

Get your argument but the notion that Houli is not good in a contest is dubious IMO.

1OQ0Tl9.jpg