Changes for Round 4 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Changes for Round 4

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Apologies if there already is a thread for this but I couldnt find it.

Against the Dogs we need to bring in more runners and class around the football.

In: Prestia, Sonsie, Stack, Riewoldt
Out: Grimes, Soldo, Ross, Aarts

Reactions: 8 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Apologies if there already is a thread for this but I couldnt find it.

Against the Dogs we need to bring in more runners and class around the football.

In: Prestia, Sonsie, Stack, Riewoldt
Out: Grimes, Soldo, Ross, Aarts
with those changes, who is sub? I dont want to see Sonsie or Stack as subs, at this point. they need to play. Maybe ShEdwards?
Who goes back to replace Grimes?

Reactions: 1 user

thegdog

Tiger Champion
Sep 28, 2009
Out: Grimes Arts Ross Soldo
In: Mansell Miller MRJ Riewoldt

Other possible out is Castagna for Sonsie/Stack

Give Prestia the longest break possible

Stig

Tiger Superstar
Mar 2, 2020
Ins
Riewoldt, Cumberland, Miller , Mansell
Outs
Grimes ( inj ) Aarts , Ross , Castagna

Reactions: 1 users

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
In Sonsie Stack. (Absolutely no point in bringing back Jack at this particular point and Prestia needs to be fit plus weeks, before he takes on a task like the Bulldogs or Melbourne).

Out Grimes injured, Aarts and Ross. (Without Soldo we wont win a centre clearance against English, who is around 6 cm taller than Nank).

B Broad Tarrant Gibcus
HB Stack Ralphsmith Rioli
C McIntosh Short Pickett
HF Sonsie* Balta Bolton
F Parker Lynch Baker
R Nankervis Castagna Dow
I/C Cotchin Edwards Graham Soldo
Sub Miller.

Dusty badly missed right now.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
This game could turn into a nightmare

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Might as well place a bet on what time after half-time we choke again.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
with those changes, who is sub? I dont want to see Sonsie or Stack as subs, at this point. they need to play. Maybe ShEdwards?
Who goes back to replace Grimes?
At this stage Stack.

Dont need a Grimes replacement as Naughton is the only decent tall forward. Bulldogs play small.

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
Midfield is looking threadbare, with no Lambert, Prestia and Martin and Cotchin and Edwards waning. Therefore, I think it is less about the ins and outs, and more about moving the magnets positionally.

Out: Soldo, Grimes, Ross
In: Riewoldt, Miller, Stack

Baker moved down back. Bolton plays full time midfield like he did at stages last season. Challenge him to step up, and see if he rises to the challenge. Miller in should free up Gibcus to intercept. Riewoldt for Soldo means Balta stays forward, but can pinch hit in the ruck where he can use his explosiveness. Dow again, full time midfield. We need to see what we have. Stack to play as a permanent small forward.

FB: Miller, Tarrant, Broad
HB: Short, Gibcus, Rioli
C: Pickett, Graham, McIntosh
HF: Castagna, Lynch, Parker
FF: Balta, Riewoldt, Stack
R: Nankervis, Bolton, Cotchin

IC: Dow, Baker, Ralphsmith, Edwards
SUB: Collier-Dawkins

Reactions: 4 users

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
out: Grimes Soldo Aarts

in: Mansell Riewoldt Sonsie Stack

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Time to move the magnets

In Miller, Sonsie, Mansell, Stack
Out Grimes, Ross, Edwards, Castagna, Aarts

Stack and Mansell into the backline
Short to the wing
Sonsie and Pickett into the midfield
Ralphsmith into the fwd line

B......Gibcus.......Miller........Tarrant
HB....Rioli...........Broad......Stack
C......Short.........Cotchin....McIntosh
HF....Baker........Balta.........Ralphsmith
F.......Bolton......Lynch......Parker
R......Soldo........Pickett.....Graham
Int....Dow....Sonsie....Mansell....Nankervis

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Can't see the point of having Soldo out, Balta is not that tall and I really don't see him as a ruck. He was ruck at times in the last quarter against StKilda and I don't think it worked. I would persist with 2 rucks: Nank and Soldo.

DS

Reactions: 3 users

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
Can't see the point of having Soldo out, Balta is not that tall and I really don't see him as a ruck. He was ruck at times in the last quarter against StKilda and I don't think it worked. I would persist with 2 rucks: Nank and Soldo.

DS
Two rucks would work if both are in form, but Soldo was terrible yesterday. Plus we can't play a resting ruck forward with two other key forwards, especially given how slow Lynch is. The ball was catapulting out of our forward 50 yesterday.

This made the St Kilda loss different to Carlton - yesterday was as much from backline rebound whereas Carlton was centre clearance dominance. Both reflected our midfield inadequacies in different ways.

I'd say we either:

- persist with two rucks, move Balta back while Grimes is out (suit the Naughton match up as well) with Jack to come back to other key post (proviso is that resting ruckman is on bench unless Jack/Tom are off) or:
- drop Soldo, select Miller as Grimes replacement, play Balta as second relief ruck (worked ok in 2020 at times including GF)

Moving forward and once we have a better and deeper group of midfielders (probably 2023 now), we do need to play two rucks - will be interested to see if Soldo improves enough to get back to his 2019-2020 form - hope so.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

MalenyTiger

Tiger Superstar
Jan 27, 2005
Soldo has had a lot of time away from the game. He'll put in some bad games for sure. Let's hope he improves next week.

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
Don't see Castagna getting dropped.
Yeah, he has his issues, but he works his ring off, getting up the ground and back, offering an outlet, and covering the wings, when Pickett or K-Mac drop into defence.
Until Lambert gets back, George isn't going anywhere.

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Stack
Collier dawkins
Mansell
Cumberland

Out Soldo, We need more run
Grimes has been injured since the Carlton game,
Aarts, brings back memories of Robbie Powell no good
Edwards/Cotchin cooked

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011
Call me *smile* bonkers, but I'm more confident about beating the Dogs than I was about beating St Kilda.

I just think that we can exploit them in the key posts, as long as our mids don't their mids walk it out of the centre.

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Midfield is looking threadbare, with no Lambert, Prestia and Martin and Cotchin and Edwards waning. Therefore, I think it is less about the ins and outs, and more about moving the magnets positionally.

Out: Soldo, Grimes, Ross
In: Riewoldt, Miller, Stack

Baker moved down back. Bolton plays full time midfield like he did at stages last season. Challenge him to step up, and see if he rises to the challenge. Miller in should free up Gibcus to intercept. Riewoldt for Soldo means Balta stays forward, but can pinch hit in the ruck where he can use his explosiveness. Dow again, full time midfield. We need to see what we have. Stack to play as a permanent small forward.

FB: Miller, Tarrant, Broad
HB: Short, Gibcus, Rioli
C: Pickett, Graham, McIntosh
HF: Castagna, Lynch, Parker
FF: Balta, Riewoldt, Stack
R: Nankervis, Bolton, Cotchin

IC: Dow, Baker, Ralphsmith, Edwards
SUB: Collier-Dawkins
Graham and Cotchin under Nankervis as our starting midfield against the dogs?

Don’t worry about clearances. They won’t get a touch and Jack up forward with a game count of 3 maybe 4 possessions will at least have some sort of excuse.