Changes v Crows | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Changes v Crows

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
They are certainly keen to get Young into the fray, might say a bit about Tarrants issue being more than a niggle.

Tigers hopefully not being too cute here, maybe JR8 or Chimp Great Sage Equal of Heaven wont play and get the weekend off with new babe and the fam, to have em fresh for the Maggots next week.
Could also be that given Taz is out & may not go on next yr & they want & need Young to be "ready to go" for if/when that eventuates. From the limited amount i have seen of him he's done nothing wrong thus far.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Sad to see Miller out, but I suppose against a younger team, it's a chance to try out Young. Just hope they don't play him on Chux.

Also another chance to get a look at Samson.

Hugo for sub. We need pace.
Hugo or Clarke, gotta be a running player IMO.

Reactions: 2 users

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Miller might be going back to a full time defensive role and might get some time in the VFL to re adjust.

Tarrant might be unreliable now at the least so the ship changes tack accordingly.
This is a good point, if Ryan does well we probably can't play Miller & Ryan in same side as they both play the same role. Preperation for life post Taz & Jack perhaps as well?

As for Dimma being in experiment mode, that is what the early rounds are for, gives most players a shot & those who earn their spot keep it for later in the yr.

Reactions: 1 users

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
I thought this would have been a game where both Jack and Cotch could be rested - may still happen but maybe unlikely now.

When do they fly across and do the reserves have another praccie game?

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Good changes.
JR on the bench is a noticeable shift & I'm happy most about this.
Might even be left out of the final team as we look a bit top heavy.

Whilst Miller got dropped, Young & Ryan are important inclusions in our regeneration. It's happening..
Good luck both.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
Don’t agree about Cumberland. after seeing his highlights package at the time we drafted him, he was a very impressive mid as a junior. We SHOULD be playing him in that role in the VFL. He looked a natural running through the middle of the ground, good at contested ball too.

Fair enough.

I hope it comes off.

It just seems to me like we are playing natural mids in the forward line, and natural forwards are now training to be mids.

We won premierships by letting players play to their strengths.

I wonder whether we are now trying to get our current players to play to our previous players strengths.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
good time of the year to make interesting changes

Hugo or Clarke for the Sub

Reactions: 1 user

tora

Tiger Rookie
Dec 10, 2021
Fair enough.

I hope it comes off.

It just seems to me like we are playing natural mids in the forward line, and natural forwards are now training to be mids.

We won premierships by letting players play to their strengths.

I wonder whether we are now trying to get our current players to play to our previous players strengths.
Coaches have always been mucking around with team line ups. Resting rucks in fwd pockets. Throwing champion wingers Bourke and clay into the back line. Throwing Sheedy up fwd.
Ellis and kmac back and forth to the wing and back line..
Caddy from mid to fwd to wing.
Back up ruck from Grigg type, Soldo, Astbury and Balta, even Pickett, Miller and now finally Ryan.

As a kid one year I was KPD for the school team and KPF on weekends.
I stopped growing. So played as a Run with player.

Cumberland has to add something to his game.
I think Shai and dusty are probably better than hopper and might play mid more as the season progresses.
But if Cumberland could rotate with Dusty and Shai. would be better dangerous fwd line.
Obviously got one eye on Jack R transition to retirement..

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
2 very different approaches.

We have a tall forward line, if they allow us to mark it, then we will get a lot of looks. If the ball comes to ground, then they will aim to run it at will out of their backline and stretch us on transition.

The 4 main match ups in our forward 50 appear to be:

Lynch (199 - 213 games) - Murray (194 - 30 games)
Jack (193 - 327 games) - Michalanney (190 - 1 game)
Ryan (206 - 1 game) - Dawson (192 - 87 games) - Maybe Himmelberg will play 2nd ruck and head back when Samson is forward
Martin (187 - 270 games) - Doodee (187 - 72 games)

They may try and play Dawson on Martin to try and outmark him in the air, but overall they seem massively outsized in the forward line. If we can clunk them, then we should get a lot of looks at goal. If it comes to ground, MRJ and Bolton need to be redhot on their backs moving the ball out of their backline.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
I mentioned this in the Ryan thread that Mansell to go out and Baker moved to the forward line.

With Young an added defender someone needs to make way.

It will be very interesting to see how we line up.

gold1

Tiger Champion
Feb 24, 2008
2 very different approaches.

We have a tall forward line, if they allow us to mark it, then we will get a lot of looks. If the ball comes to ground, then they will aim to run it at will out of their backline and stretch us on transition.

The 4 main match ups in our forward 50 appear to be:

Lynch (199 - 213 games) - Murray (194 - 30 games)
Jack (193 - 327 games) - Michalanney (190 - 1 game)
Ryan (206 - 1 game) - Dawson (192 - 87 games) - Maybe Himmelberg will play 2nd ruck and head back when Samson is forward
Martin (187 - 270 games) - Doodee (187 - 72 games)

They may try and play Dawson on Martin to try and outmark him in the air, but overall they seem massively outsized in the forward line. If we can clunk them, then we should get a lot of looks at goal. If it comes to ground, MRJ and Bolton need to be redhot on their backs moving the ball out of their backline.
Last week our efficiency inside 50 was just 37 percent out 66 entries.Major clunking required.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Last week our efficiency inside 50 was just 37 percent out 66 entries.Major clunking required.
I'm hoping Ryan provides a genuine alternative marking target to Lynch. Yet to be seen whether that can happen yet but I understand them trying it.
His preseason form was great. Just hope he takes it up a notch.

Reactions: 1 user

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
I'm hoping Ryan provides a genuine alternative marking target to Lynch. Yet to be seen whether that can happen yet but I understand them trying it.
His preseason form was great. Just hope he takes it up a notch.
Agree , but kid needs time and a bank of games don't expect miracles.