Changes versus Port | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Changes versus Port

What a challenge for this group. When was the last time we went into a match as Underdogs?!

This will be one for the ages if they can get over the line.

Reactions: 2 users
Say Bris beat geelong
If we win this flag it will be earned
Brisbane haven’t lost at their ground
Port have only lost 1 (stkilda) and I’ve no idea how.

in fact Since round 10 the only games the top 4 have lost are to each other.

Last edited:
Im having a look at the game again atm. Was absolutely freakin feral. We didnt defend very well in the 50. They had too much space too often. Stack was invisible. Eggs was overwhelmed. Jack Ross was ok but couldnt go for 4 Qs. Chol had his best game for the club. . But Dion and Shank are back in I think thats huge for us. They were pretty much full strength I think.
Your a brave man.
That game was our worst for the year.
We were lucky not to be blown out of the water early.

At times the last two weeks we have looked ‘tired’ and ‘spent’.

That's the risk. Its been a tough year for the Vic teams. Was speaking to a pies mate and we agreed their boys had nothing left to give after getting up the week before.

Money has to be on a Port v Lions GF. It will be a remarkable effort by us or Cats if it was anything different, least of all if either team wins it

Reactions: 1 users
Getting on a plane and out of Qld might just be the distraction/energiser they need.

Reactions: 3 users
My biggest worry.
Just hoping 100 days of hub life hasn’t worn them down at the death.
It's a huge number. Then again that light at the end of the tunnel would be worth the extra burst. I doubt the significance of winning it this year with covid and b2b would be lost on them. I reckon its over by half time we devastate them!

can we have a gameweek thread instead of gameday for this one?

there's so much to masticate, but I'm not game to start it......

we've got 1 bloke who hasn't played in a prelim (Balta). 15 of our blokes have won 3 of 'em.

I expect Port to breath fire. I expect a lot to go their way. and I expect Richmond to win.
Hey eZyT did you mean "15 of our blokes have won 2 of 'em" ? prelims 2017, 2019? or did you mean "...have played in 3 of 'em"? '17, '18 and '19.

Just revisited some stats from our loss to Port and were pretty gobsmacked with the numbers, we do have some serious things to address:

The Power had 90 more disposals, claimed the inside 50 count 55-24, had 43 extra contested possessions and won centre clearances 20-5.

Yeah, forget stats when we last played them as Mick McGunae says they played our seconds, well when you have Nankervis, Cotchin, Prestia, Edwards, Graham, Houli, and Astbury not playing that will stretch anyone's best 22.

Analyst Mick McGuane on the strategy and tactics that will decide 2020 preliminary finals

Where will the two preliminary finals be won and lost? Expert analyst Mick McGuane dissects the way all four teams play, how they can be stopped and the biggest match-ups — and predicts his Grand Finalists.

PORT ADELAIDE V RICHMOND
First preliminary final, Adelaide Oval, Friday, 7.50pm

HOW THEY PLAY
The Power are a high-volume disposal team (averaging the fourth-most disposals in the AFL) and a strong contest/stoppage side. They play with a “get it forward” mentality to maximise their front-half game. They are the AFL’s best territory team (+9.4 Inside-50 differential). This allows them to cover all exits so the opposition struggles to transition the ball from defence to the forward line. They create on average 23 forward-half intercepts per game and scoring from those intercepts is a real strength.

The Tigers play a chaos game with a surge mentality, wanting to keep the ball in motion at all costs. That invites a high-pressure contest. Pressure and tacking are features of their game. They are a strong forward-half team and play to a strong 18-man defensive-based system to generate turnovers in that area of the ground. They have a great capacity to score off the back of those turnoverst.

PORT ADELAIDE
THE THEME

Pressure and effective tackles are critical to their success. Their mantra must be to stick their tackles – BALL and ALL. Port needs to bring the heat. Frontal pressure is their key. The Tigers love to play the game at speed and go forward with the ball. As soon as opposition teams retreat, it opens up more space for the Richmond ball carrier to run into and more time to assess the next option. Port’s highest tackle count this year is 76. That number must be replicated on Friday night.

THE CHALLENGE
Port Adelaide’s 18-man defensive structure must be aggressive. In 2020, they have been a very strong forward-half team, ranking second for time in forward half (+5:46 minutes). This creates an opportunity for Richmond to win the ball back and transition from D50 to F50.

Port’s vulnerability against the best teams comes from their points conceded from defensive half chains. They conceded 57 to Geelong in Round 12, 36 to Brisbane in Round 5, and 34 against Richmond in Round 11. Against every other team, they have conceded only 16.7. How well Port manages to stifle and disrupt Richmond’s ball movement out of D50 will be pivotal to the result.

THE KEY
Keeping Port’s forwards connected to Richmond’s defenders is a must. Ken Hinkley cannot allow Richmond to set up behind the ball with an outnumber, either out of stoppages or in general play. So players like Zak Butters, Connor Rozee, and Brad Ebert cannot get too high up the ground. If they do, and get in and among the numbers, defenders like Nick Vlastuin, Dylan Grimes, Noah Balta and Bachar Houli will drop off their respective opponents, guard space and set up for intercept opportunities. Equalising the numbers will provide strong contested situations and help take away Richmond’s marking strength in this part of the ground which thwarts their greatest strength- their turnover game.

RICHMOND
THE THEME

Richmond must neutralise – and defend – stoppages. Port is a terrific stoppage team with the ruck combination of Scott Lycett and Peter Ladhams, and we know Ollie Wines, Travis Boak, Sam Powell-Pepper, Tom Rockliff and Robbie Gray relish the tough stuff in tight.

The Tigers’high scoring from centre bounces and around the ground stoppages against St Kilda was an anomaly compared to how they generally score. The Tigers kicked 4.2 from centre bounces compared to St Kilda’s zero score. And kicking 8.4 to 1.3 from stoppages overall secured the Tigers a preliminary final berth. They found a way to win differently against the Saints (no Paddy Ryder helped their cause). Don’t expect the same luxury against the Power!

THE CHALLENGE
Don’t be too Charlie Dixon conscious! David Astbury didn’t play in Round 11 when Dixon was a tower of strength, taking three forward-50 contested marks and kicking 2.4. Astbury should be assigned the task of diluting Dixon’s influence. The Tigers like to defend deep, getting numbers back, often 30m from the goal line, which allows little pockets of space 40-50m out to become available, so the likes of Brad Ebert, Connor Rozee or even a drifting midfielder into that area can be used. This is something the Tigers must be aware of at all times. If their minds are too obsessed with Dixon, these other opportunities could hurt them.

THE KEY
Don’t get scored against on turnover. Richmond has been outscored on turnover on four occasions this year. Against the Saints, Richmond was beaten in the turnover battle and its own game was being tested as the Tigers were kept to their second-lowest turnover tally of 3.4 (22) for the year. Victory came from stoppage dominance. To win this way, is it a positive or negative?

Port Adelaide kicked 10.9 (69) to 8.3 (51) from turnovers the last time these teams met, Richmond’s worst turnover differential (-18 points) for the season. I’m not too concerned with that return as the Tigers resembled a VFL team that day. Inclusions like Trent Cotchin, Astbury, Bachar Houli, Dion Prestia, Shane Edwards and Toby Nankervis will make them better for longer. They found another way against the Saints, but it must be highlighted on the other three occasions they have lost points from turnover – Port Adelaide (-18) in Round 11, St Kilda (-10) in Round 4 and Hawthorn (-9) in Round 3, they lost the game.

THE MAGNET BOARD
IF I WERE PORT ADELAIDE …

Let’s call it Operation Dusty. He doesn’t venture into the defensive 50. His disposals and heat map proves that. Of his 371 disposals this season, only four have come in D50. His damage is done centre/forward, albeit not as damaging as his past three years. Tom Jonas is the preferred match-up when Martin plays deep forward. When he is on the ball – at stoppages and in general play – the combination of Ollie Wines and Travis Boak must have the responsibility of working on and off him to expose his poor defensive capabilities.

As a Plan B, Port should introduce a goalkeeper at the back of their press if Richmond is getting through and over too easily to score. The other suggestion would be using midfielder Tom Rockliff to cover corridor/wing space when Richmond looks to transition out of its defence. He is smart enough to set up good defensive field position. Eliminating corridor/wing exits will force Richmond to kick down the line, something that Brisbane did brilliantly in the qualifying final.

IF I WERE RICHMOND …
Dimma, resist the temptation of rucking with Astbury. Leave him for Dixon! Allow Noah Balta and Dylan Grimes to give defensive support. I’d consider bringing in Mabior Chol as relief ruck and to use him as another aerial threat to challenge the undersized Port defenders. Nankervis must push back hard into D50 to offer up support against Dixon. Nank has great courage and is marking the ball well. I would be conscious of Hamish Hartlett and Dan Houston’s positioning as intercept defenders. Keep them honest and accountable when the ball is going forward. Getting them into contested situations is important.

MICK’S TIP: Richmond by 12 points

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users
At times the last two weeks we have looked ‘tired’ and ‘spent’.

That's more so to do with humidity, now when we played the Lions it got into the 80's that's energy-sapping but as most have said, had Lynch played we win regardless.
To much bombing and ball was like a pinball going back and forth into our fwd 50. We didn't lock it in for long enough.

Against the saints, as the game went on the dew set in so can make it hard. Playing at the AO we will not face this issue (humidity) and no doubt we will push the pedal down and go to another gear, its what we do going deeper into finals. Playing at AO in RD18 helps too. Our players are strong-minded, Emma Murray has done a fantastic job. The players will be up for it, they know what's at stake. A GF, possible premiership.

We know we will bring the heat like we just did V saints, and on top of that knowing that we can score from stoppages and center clearances also gives the players huge confidence. Now can Port turn it on in a PF, that's the million-dollar question, they are going to face another type of finals intensity to what they encountered against the cats.

Port rely on their midfield we need to match them. Cotchin, Dusty, Prestia, Graham, and Shedda can match them for inside grunt,. Bolton and Lambert mid/forwards are more outside run. Their 5 big mids in Boak, Wines, Rockliff, Powell-Pepper, and Gray all have one attribute that they share, they aren't overly quick this is where we have to expose them from stoppages., our speed can do that.

I'm not overly convinced with Ports back half in comparison to ours. I reckon our forwards will get a hold of them.

We have speed on ball movement that no one can match, if we bring the manic pressure and speed we beat them.

Tiges by 8-10 points.

Hinkley keeps talking about Port getting what they deserve.

In a pandemic season, Port Adelaide have had it easy compared to other clubs. Much easier.

They were able to get on top of the ladder early in the season when we were talking hubs and whether our players should even go.

Port have since proclaimed themselves of having the status of the #1 club this year - and the #1 club of the next 10 years!

Let’s give them what they deserve - a reality check in the form of a thumping.

Reactions: 8 users
Hinkley keeps talking about Port getting what they deserve.

In a pandemic season, Port Adelaide have had it easy compared to other clubs. Much easier.

They were able to get on top of the ladder early in the season when we were talking hubs and whether our players should even go.

Port have since proclaimed themselves of having the status of the #1 club this year - and the #1 club of the next 10 years!

Let’s give them what they deserve - a thumping.

They aren't good, similiar to Brisbane.

Reactions: 1 user
I reckon Caddy needs to come in to stretch their defence.
Its there weak link.

We have a lot more grunt in the midfield than when they beat us last time, Cotchin, Prestia, Edwards, Graham and Nankervis who is like a midfielder (4 clearances and 4 tackles against the Saints), thats virtually a whole new midfield.
Astbury and Houli both didn't play last time, they will be steading influences. Houli with a few games under his belt was back to his finals best against the Saints.
Even with their rabid fans influencing the umpires, if we beat or break even with their midfield, we win.

Last edited: