Changes versus Port | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Changes versus Port

Just revisited some stats from our loss to Port and were pretty gobsmacked with the numbers, we do have some serious things to address:

The Power had 90 more disposals, claimed the inside 50 count 55-24, had 43 extra contested possessions and won centre clearances 20-5.
Are you sure you werent looking at the final against the Lions last year?

Surely we're better with our inns 6 premiership players and Nank now to head the ruck.We had a 4 day breake last time to.Big plus were winning centre clearances and contested ball now.Port were ferocious in tackle and pressure we need bring ours to for 4 qtr.Interesting the cats won the hit outs last game with Stanley in the ruck.I think Cats had there moments in that game Port weren't a standout.

Yep, we lost to them last time, and the scoreboard flattered us, we should have lost by more.

But there are a few factors which will change the way this game will be played:
  • We have a pile of quality players back.
  • Our gameplan seems to be evolving a little of late to more emphasis on clearances and contested possessions. Allowing the opposition the clearance and rebounding off half back does not work so well on the narrow confines of the Adelaide Oval so this will have an impact. I also reckon Port have looked at the way Richmond score and reacted to nullify this.
  • Last time we played them we scored 71% of the time we entered 50, and they scored 51% of the time they entered 50. This is a final. Our defence should be better. Their defence will be better too, but defence is their weakness and defence wins finals.
The pressure in that game earlier in the season was off the charts. We can bring that again, and we must. Can they bring it again, after only 2 games in a month? We'll see, but Richmond are more accustomed to playing in high pressure games, finals experience counts.

This will be a very hard game to win but Richmond is just the team to do it. Depends a lot on Richmond being at our best but I am confident we can win this one.

DS

Reactions: 5 users
And don’t underestimate the same day travel factor for a late afternoon game from QLD no less. That won’t be the case this time around.

Or the 4 day turnaround. Different circumstances this time around.

Reactions: 1 users
Just revisited some stats from our loss to Port and were pretty gobsmacked with the numbers, we do have some serious things to address:

The Power had 90 more disposals, claimed the inside 50 count 55-24, had 43 extra contested possessions and won centre clearances 20-5.

I remember we had a tough run of games in quick succession, the port game was at the end of it ,

We did really well in all the other games , And Then we had a 4 day break and had to travel on the same day to Adelaide ,

No excuse, but I think there was a general feeling this one was a bridge too far with what we had been through in the lead up , And the block of games was still looked at as a success despite this loss

I wouldn’t read too much into what happened that night .

Reactions: 5 users
We need to stop their feral fans from influencing the umpires, a good start like we did against the Saints will do the trick.
This will be a brutal game, we need to hit them hard with gang tackles.

Reactions: 3 users
We need to stop their feral fans from influencing the umpires, a good start like we did against the Saints will do the trick.
This will be a brutal game, we need to hit them hard with gang tackles.
That’s how we lost our recent games against Port & the QF against Brisbane ( in the tackle count ).
We can’t let them ‘out tackle us’.

Reactions: 1 user
This is going to be the most difficult match of our reign at the top. They were freaking frightening in their attack last time, and I agree with HW, the scoreboard flattered us. Felt like 30 odd points really. One thing we did right was score when we had to. If we don't do that consistently we are toast. Ladhams played like Polly Farmer last time hopefully that doesn't happen again. We could do worse than knock a couple out. Butters for starters. I think their last line is ordinary. Get the delivery right and Tom could easily have a bag, Jack too.
They are ruthless and brutal around the pill, and I expect that in spades.
Oh yeah, and if we dominate for 10 mins...we'd better score.
That’s the thing.
We need to score when we have a ‘surge’ and ‘dominate’ a period to put scoreboard pressure on the opposition.
Got to correct that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

We get those stats again it will be a thrashing by PA.
Hopefully with our ins this time around we will address some of those issues and give us plenty of looks to put scoreboard pressure against PA.

I think that result really flattered us.
We kept ourselves in it because we were efficient scoring once we entered I50 plus our defence , minus Astbury stood tall.

Did Broad play that game???

Their midfield has some really big bodies. They love the contested game and are fierce tackling side.

One good thing that has come out of these last few matches is to get the lay off rust out of Shane, Dion, Dave and Bachar and on Friday we could see they are back on top form so that will give us a lift on Friday

can we have a gameweek thread instead of gameday for this one?

there's so much to masticate, but I'm not game to start it.

it could be our undoing.

last time we played Port there were a lot of differences that have been pointed out.

an important one that hasn't been discussed is;

they got thumped by the cats by 10 goals the week after.

They'de played a mid season GF the week before. They threw everything they had at a diminished tiger outfit, and prevailed by 3 goals (2 irretrievable momentum shifting ones from ill-disciplined frees/50's at the most crucial juncture of the contest). It took everything they had to overcome a severely compromised RFC outfit. so much so, they had a collective chronic fatigue the week after.

Thats why it was the best game of the year by a mile, because Port brought it to the champs. Hunted us, 4 quarters of sustained pressure.

Yes, they will do that again. Its a Preliminary final.

but in that game, not only were we missing 4 champions (Cotch, Bachar, sheds, dion) and 3 very good players (Nank, Dave, Graham),

But NONE of the blokes we put out there got more than 18 disposals.

This Friday, we become the hunters again. We know how to win prelims. They are, indeed, harder than GF's.

Last time Port played in a prelim was 2014. they lost to hawks by 3 points.

Wines, Hartlett, Gray, Boak and Ebert where there. Lycett has played a prelim. Im guessing Burton and Motlop have too?

they've had 8 blokes here before. Once.

we've got 1 bloke who hasn't played in a prelim (Balta). 15 of our blokes have won 2 of 'em.

I expect Port to breath fire. I expect a lot to go their way. and I expect Richmond to win.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Could be a bit of a breeze around Friday night.
Please Cotch if you win the toss - please kick with the wind.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Im having a look at the game again atm. Was absolutely freakin feral. We didnt defend very well in the 50. They had too much space too often. Stack was invisible. Eggs was overwhelmed. Jack Ross was ok but couldnt go for 4 Qs. Chol had his best game for the club. . But Dion and Shank are back in I think thats huge for us. They were pretty much full strength I think.

Reactions: 1 users