City rail network in meltdown | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

City rail network in meltdown

TigerForce said:
What about age? Those Hitachis are still in use after 30 years. I might be wrong but sometimes I notice Hitachis re-formatted to look like the Comeng trains.

Infrastructure is the biggest issue with our public transport, but no government is willing to update considering it didn't take long to fix the Springvale road crossing in Nunawading & Mitcham just recently.

Absolutely - patching up old infrastructure and older trains causes more problems in the long run I would think.

I accaept Melbs PT system is struggling during peaks, it wasn't built for the population and I suppose needs a very expensive overhaul to cope with peaks.

But I was just down there, friends in Footscray where I was staying, friends in Ivanhoe, Parents in Ballarat. I was travelling between these locations and others, Man youse have it good. Compared to Bris and Sydney, well, there is no camparison. Trains and trams on time, reasonably fast, and a fair price. Like I said, not peak hour, but geez I miss it.

Anyone suggesting buses, forget it, yeah they have to be part of the equation, but fair dinkum, they get stuck in traffic and have to stop for every light. In Brisbane for eg a bus from west end to New farm will take 45-75 minutes, about 5 k, equivalent of St K to Fitzroy. Trains are where its at for speed and efficiency, just have to have a system that can cope with load, easier said than done I know.

Soulmanpete said:
even though the trains didnt deliver the trams did well :clap

Please excuse my ignorance Pete. Are they run by the same company? I love the trams but gee I copped a couple of weirdos my last 2 trips (86). There certainly are some characters along Smith St.

Yeah the trams are run by a different company ..ran at 98% service delivery this week too.. they also have to contend with cars pedestrians ..etc

Got my new Myki card. Works well logging on - but fails to work when trying to exit gates at Flinders St. This means I have to get the staff to open the gate for me and then logoff using one of the touchpads outside the barrier.

If you forget to log off you get charged an additional fee. If they can't fix this soon it's a disaster - the metro staff just shake their heads and mutter darkly when it comes to anything Myki, you can tell they ain't happy dealing with the new technology either. Recommend that people stick with the old ticket system until it settles down.

TigerForce said:
Good riddance Flopsky. I wonder if she jumped or was pushed.

thought I heard on the radio it was due to family health issues

if thats the case I'd ease up (she hasn't just left transport, but parliament entirely - something many poli's in govt are reluctant to do given the super they can keep racking up on the backbench)

Tiger74 said:
thought I heard on the radio it was due to family health issues

Well most people commenting on the Hun don't believe that's the true reason and I agree with them. I reckon it's just a cover.

TigerForce said:
Well most people commenting on the Hun don't believe that's the true reason and I agree with them. I reckon it's just a cover.

do you know this for fact? had word her family is all healthy and fighting fit?

only reason I say this, is I would rather be wrong about this, than mock her now and find out something tragic happens to her hubby or kid down the road.

Tiger74 said:
do you know this for fact? had word her family is all healthy and fighting fit?

only reason I say this, is I would rather be wrong about this, than mock her now and find out something tragic happens to her hubby or kid down the road.

I mock her for incompetent performance as a minister and say good riddance to a position she failed in. It has nothing to do with how her family is at the moment (whether it's true or not).

I left a job 6 years ago because my Dad passed away which has nothing to do with how I performed in that job. If managers were happy to see me go, then so be it.

TigerForce said:
I mock her for incompetent performance as a minister and say good riddance to a position she failed in. It has nothing to do with how her family is at the moment (whether it's true or not).

I left a job 6 years ago because my Dad passed away which has nothing to do with how I performed in that job. If managers were happy to see me go, then so be it.

I have no issue knocking her performance, but knocking the reason for it when you know nothing is harsh - especially if it turns out she is telling the truth

Tiger74 said:
I have no issue knocking her performance, but knocking the reason for it when you know nothing is harsh - especially if it turns out she is telling the truth

Her Hubby and kids looked good on the news.

Resignation letter (courtesy of crikey):

Sent: Monday, 18 January 2010 11:07 AM
To: Caucus – ALL
Subject: Message from Lynne Kosky

Dear Caucus Members,

As some of you know, there have been significant health issues in my family over several months. During this time, I have tried to manage my responsibilities to my family whilst providing the proper attention to my demanding role as Minister for Public Transport and the Arts. However, the needs of my family have often come second, and I have come to the conclusion that it is not possible for me to fulfil both responsibilities properly.

I have therefore tendered my resignation as both a Minister and Member of Parliament to the Premier.

The decision I have come to is not made lightly and is something I have agonised over for some time. It is however, the right decision and I leave with sadness, but with no regrets. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time as a Member of the Victorian Parliament and as a member of 3 cabinets that have made an enormous contribution to improving the lives of so many Victorians. I am immensely proud to have served as a Minister in the Bracks and Brumby Governments, having worked under 2 Premiers whom I greatly respect and can also call friends and mentors. I thank them both for the trust they have shown in me.

I have also had the privilege to work along side cabinet and caucus colleagues who are incredibly hard working, professional and compassionate.

I want to thank you for the support you have always given me, but particularly over the past few months. A more dedicated team would be
hard to find.

I feel very privileged to have overseen some significant change in my portfolios in the time I have been Minister and I have been very fortunate to do this with a fantastic team in my ministerial and electorate offices along with many great public servants and stakeholders.

I particularly wish to thank the Premier for his leadership of our Government and his unconditional support of me in carrying out my Ministerial duties.

John’s vision and compassion for Victorians is clear for all to see. I thank you all for your support, friendship and encouragement – together we have achieved great outcomes. I wish you all the best for the busy year ahead culminating in a successful outcome.

Yours sincerely
Lynne Kosky

Tiger74 said:
great - I'll stop going to the doc now and just post my photo to you for diagnosis

What are you some relation of hers??

What a coincidence that after such a long time of failure as minister, her family health has deteriorated.

Get real mate.

TigerForce said:
What are you some relation of hers??

What a coincidence that after such a long time of failure as minister, her family health has deteriorated.

Get real mate.

no I don't even know her, but I know plenty of people who put their career on hold to look after a sick kid or nurse a dying spouse/parent

must be good in your life, I hope no misery ever effects your loved ones.