City rail network in meltdown | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

City rail network in meltdown

TigerForce said:
What a 3rd world city we now live in.

Dumby's definitely learned the skill of spinning when it comes to providing feedback. This dud had nothing but jealousy when Slacks won the election and now that he's taken over, he does nothing but walk around the public with an ego centric 'look at me' smirk on his face.

I did have a chuckle the other night when I saw him on the news with the firefighters. Basically he was telling them how to do their job, and tried to sound like he knew what he was talking about. I could almost hear the groans of 'what a wanker' coming from the firefighter's mouths. He should know better. They were either on a break, in which case, listening to him would be the last thing i would like to hear, while taking a breather. Or, they were pulled away from actual firefighting duties to give him a photo op. Poor either way.

Legends of 1980 said:
I did have a chuckle the other night when I saw him on the news with the firefighters. Basically he was telling them how to do their job, and tried to sound like he knew what he was talking about. I could almost hear the groans of 'what a wanker' coming from the firefighter's mouths. He should know better. They were either on a break, in which case, listening to him would be the last thing i would like to hear, while taking a breather. Or, they were pulled away from actual firefighting duties to give him a photo op. Poor either way.

If he wants a photo op, tell him to get out with the CFA and give them a hand. Give him a hessian bag and a rake, tell him to "go for it"

willo said:
If he wants a photo op, tell him to get out with the CFA and give them a hand. Give him a hessian bag and a rake, tell him to "go for it"

But first he will want a report into the situation. Then maybe a separate committe to investigate exactly how he should use the hessian bag and rake. After 12 months and the report handed back (at a cost of around, say 1 million), he will commision another report to see if there is actually a bushfire problem now. Will demand a fast tracking of the purchasing of said hessian bag and rake, but only after investigating where to source the items. Will also hire a team of spin doctors and beauracrats to commision polls to see whether the term 'go for it' will give him a bigger lead in opinion polls, and whether another phrase should be used instead, expect a $500,000, 150 page report to answer that. Should be right to implement just before the next elections.

What worries me is that the Libs ain't much better.

Baillieau's all whinge.

12 months on and the disguised Connex trains still playing badly when Dumby stated in January 2009 that there would be 'significant improvements' in public transport.

What more can you say? :duh

TigerForce said:
12 months on and the disguised Connex trains still playing badly when Dumby stated in January 2009 that there would be 'significant improvements' in public transport.

What more can you say? :duh

What are Metro supposed to do in 1 month TF? You can't wave a magical wand around in the one month you have been in operation and fix stuff that has been broken for the last 25 years. Not possible.

Tigers of Old said:
The public transport systems in Australia's capital cities in general are a disgrace when compared with similar international cities.

Something for you to get used to pretty soon Oldie (assuming you travel to work in the city daily though).

I still think Sydney's PT is way better than here.

ThePercies said:
What are Metro supposed to do in 1 month TF? You can't wave a magical wand around in the one month you have been in operation and fix stuff that has been broken for the last 25 years. Not possible.

My complaint was pointing at this hopeless Dumby government not the operator.

IanG said:
The Libs aint any better period.
Well i know it is considered heretical to say this in polite company: but it seems to me the state ran a lot better when Kennet was in power.

evo said:
Well i know it is considered heretical to say this in polite company: but it seems to me the state ran a lot better when Kennet was in power.

And after all Dumby has done for us. Shame on you evo :cutelaugh

rosy23 said:
The opposition at the moment don't have a Jeff Kennett.

And that's a real worry. No-one's even stepped up to challenge Baillieu for top spot.

We need another smart tough nut like Bolte.

evo said:

Hospitals had the same problems they have today as did schools just to name 2 examples. And remember Kennett was the one who sold the public transport system.

IanG said:
Hospitals had the same problems they have today as did schools just to name 2 examples. And remember Kennett was the one who sold the public transport system.

Yep.
Hospitals, Schools and Transport were 3 main reasons why Bracks/Brumby were elected.
And in 10 years they've done precious little to improve them.
Throw in the escalating water problem and you have a Government that is blinded to the needs of the community, just as Kennet was in his later years.
Then an unknown Steve Bracks surprised everyone by beating Kennet at the polls.
Tt could be that an unknown Liberal Leader will repay the "favour" later this year.

OK, not trying to be smart here but can someone tell me why your rail system has so many problems.

I live in WA, and in Perth we get hot days during summer all the time, and our trains never seem to have these problems.

Load, complexity, technology.

The Melbourne rail system basically operates at full capacity, much like our road system. This means that small problems quickly escalate into big ones. For example, the City Loop. I heard a guy on the radio who worked on this 30 years ago when it was first set up - he couldn't understand why trains take so long to move through the system as the original projections where that trains could move through much more quickly.

What he didn't realise is that trains carry more the triple the passenger load than they projected back when the city loop was set up - it just takes longer for passengers to get on and off the trains now.

Now, why rails buckle or AC fails, or trains fail in other ways is possibly because of the technology choices made in Melbourne but I'd say it's also to do with load and additional stress on all systems.

antman said:
Load, complexity, technology.

The Melbourne rail system basically operates at full capacity, much like our road system. This means that small problems quickly escalate into big ones. For example, the City Loop. I heard a guy on the radio who worked on this 30 years ago when it was first set up - he couldn't understand why trains take so long to move through the system as the original projections where that trains could move through much more quickly.

What he didn't realise is that trains carry more the triple the passenger load than they projected back when the city loop was set up - it just takes longer for passengers to get on and off the trains now.

Now, why rails buckle or AC fails, or trains fail in other ways is possibly because of the technology choices made in Melbourne but I'd say it's also to do with load and additional stress on all systems.

What about age? Those Hitachis are still in use after 30 years. I might be wrong but sometimes I notice Hitachis re-formatted to look like the Comeng trains.

Infrastructure is the biggest issue with our public transport, but no government is willing to update considering it didn't take long to fix the Springvale road crossing in Nunawading & Mitcham just recently.