Clarko Gone !! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Clarko Gone !!

How’s that? Kennett wanted him gone, didn’t want the payout. Now he could have him gone for very little $. Genius. The fluff about an undignified ending will dissipate and soon be forgotten.

Not if Clarko takes a year off or if he has a back ended contract somewhere.

Reactions: 1 user
Not if Clarko takes a year off or if he has a back ended contract somewhere.
Opportunities aren’t always available when you want them.
If Clarkson stayed hawks pay him. If they sacked him he goes and they pay him out. This way there is an opportunity they get what they want (Clarkson gone) and not the same financial impact. This fluff about appalling treatment of Clarkson neglects what has transpired behind closed doors. No one is bigger than a club.

Opportunities aren’t always available when you want them.
If Clarkson stayed hawks pay him. If they sacked him he goes and they pay him out. This way there is an opportunity they get what they want (Clarkson gone) and not the same financial impact. This fluff about appalling treatment of Clarkson neglects what has transpired behind closed doors. No one is bigger than a club.

Really not sure what you’re talking about.

If Clarko quits completely of his own accord - which is what Kennett was hoping he’d do - and doesn’t negotiate his way out then he’s playing with half a deck in 2022. There’s no absolute guarantee he’ll get a job at another club and he may not want to coach at the three possibilities anyway. He may want to take a year off.

By negotiating his way out he’s secured his 2022 income no matter what he does.

A full deck. Common sense by him and his manager.

Reactions: 4 users
Wherever he goes, Clarko could have two or three free assistants under the soft cap if he does a severely back-ended deal.

If Clarko quits completely of his own accord - which is what Kennett was hoping he’d do - and doesn’t negotiate his way out then he’s playing with half a deck in 2022. There’s no absolute guarantee he’ll get a job at another club and he may not want to coach at the three possibilities anyway. He may want to take a year off.

By negotiating his way out he’s secured his 2022 income no matter what he does.

A full deck. Common sense by him and his manager.
Clarko wasn’t quitting and it’s been made clear he wants to continue coaching so your first part is irrelevant. Quit and not negotiate his way out? Nonsense. Not get a job somewhere else if he applied and they were available? Nonsense. His 2022 income was secure so sorry that’s all irrelevant.

Clarko wasn’t quitting and it’s been made clear he wants to continue coaching so your first part is irrelevant. Quit and not negotiate his way out? Nonsense. Not get a job somewhere else if he applied and they were available? Nonsense. His 2022 income was secure so sorry that’s all irrelevant.

It was covered on FC on Monday which was:

1. Hawthorn told him he was out after 2022. They ultimately wanted Mitchell to replace him.

2. Hawthorn blinked when Mitchell became a chance for the Cwood job.

3. Hawthorn had to secure Mitchell in the role which they did, hoping they might get Clarko out earlier by telling Clarko he’d have to co coach with Mitchell in 2022.

4. Hawthorn hoped Clarko would jump ship to Cwood or Carlton without them having to pay him out and incur a hit to their soft cap. That was Kennett’s whole play and was covered thoroughly on Monday night - something you still don’t seem to get.

5. But Clarko wasn’t just gonna resign and not have the security of Hawthorn’s pay out behind him. Him and his manager wanted that so he had a guaranteed income for 2022 and could assess all options available to him - GC, Cwood, Carlton and including having a year off which some people have said he might do. Nobody knows if he actually wants to coach Cwood, GC or Carlton yet not even Clarko I dare say.

6. So sensibly, Clarko called Kennett’s bluff by saying “ok I’ll co coach with Mitchell” after which Hawthorn finally did what they should have done all along, and that is, agree to have him leave on a pay out basis.

Pretty simple really.

Note: of course he wasnt going to quit without a negotiated settlement and without another job to go to yet. That’s the whole point !!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
It was covered on FC on Monday which was:

1. Hawthorn told him he was out after 2022. They ultimately wanted Mitchell to replace him.

2. Hawthorn blinked when Mitchell became a chance for the Cwood job.

3. Hawthorn had to secure Mitchell in the role which they did, hoping they might get Clarko out earlier by telling Clarko he’d have to co coach with Mitchell in 2022.

4. Hawthorn hoped Clarko would jump ship to Cwood or Carlton without them having to pay him out and incur a hit to their soft cap. That was Kennett’s whole play and was covered thoroughly on Monday night - something you still don’t seem to get.

5. But Clarko wasn’t just gonna resign and not have the security of Hawthorn’s pay out behind him. Him and his manager wanted that so he had a guaranteed income for 2022 and could assess all options available to him - GC, Cwood, Carlton and including having a year off which some people have said he might do. Nobody knows if he actually wants to coach Cwood, GC or Carlton yet not even Clarko I dare say.

6. So sensibly, Clarko called Kennett’s bluff by saying “ok I’ll co coach with Mitchell” after which Hawthorn finally did what they should have done all along, and that is, agree to have him leave on a pay out basis.

Pretty simple really.

Note: of course he wasnt going to quit without a negotiated settlement and without another job to go to yet. That’s the whole point !!!

Where did I suggest he would quit without a negotiated payout? Might want to read what I wrote again. Not sure how you can say Clarkson's 2022 income wasn't secure and he had to act, he had a contract.

Hawks didn't want him coaching beyond 2022. This way he could leave a year earlier, get another gig and save Hawks having to pay fair chunk of his salary. They were paying him anyway. I think we are essentially arguing the same thing but your dislike of Kennett means you think he's botched it. If he gets what the club wants he should be lauded.

Where did I suggest he would quit without a negotiated payout?
Well, what's your point then MD ? He didn't have a negotiated payout until last Friday ! Geez. Up until then, it was pretty clear what Kennett was hoping he'd do but Clarkson rode him out.

Otherwise, if you think that's not right, why didn't they just give Clarko a negotiated exit right from the beginning - something Dunstall mentioned on Friday night ??? They tried their luck and *** it up completely. That's just so patently obvious.
Clarkson's 2022 income wasn't secure and he had to act, he had a contract.
Yeah he had a contract - on pretty ordinary terms as a 4 time premiership coach having to share coaching duties with somonelse. And the only way he'd walk from that situation was if he could negotiate his way out - which Hawthorn FINALLY did after making a total hash of it.
Hawks didn't want him coaching beyond 2022.
When they secured Mitchell, they didn't want him coaching beyond 2021. That's also obvious.

I think we are essentially arguing the same thing but your dislike of Kennett means you think he's botched it. If he gets what the club wants he should be lauded.
Hah hah hah....he finally did what he had to do all along, made a fool of himself, the club and Clarko preceding that, and that's what the club actually wanted is it ? It wanted the members and media baking him and the club ? Really ? He should be "lauded" ? Wow.

That, and despite the fact every man and his dog has described Kennett's handling of the situation as utterly deplorable but you think he's a "genius", would have to be two of the funniest things I've ever read on PRE !

Well, what's your point then MD ? He didn't have a negotiated payout until last Friday ! Geez. Up until then, it was pretty clear what Kennett was hoping he'd do but Clarkson rode him out.

Otherwise, if you think that's not right, why didn't they just give Clarko a negotiated exit right from the beginning - something Dunstall mentioned on Friday night ??? They tried their luck and *** it up completely. That's just so patently obvious.

Yeah he had a contract - on pretty ordinary terms as a 4 time premiership coach having to share coaching duties with somonelse. And the only way he'd walk from that situation was if he could negotiate his way out - which Hawthorn FINALLY did after making a total hash of it.

When they secured Mitchell, they didn't want him coaching beyond 2021. That's also obvious.

Hah hah hah....he finally did what he had to do all along, made a fool of himself, the club and Clarko preceding that, and that's what the club actually wanted is it ? It wanted the members and media baking him and the club ? Really ? He should be "lauded" ? Wow.

That, and despite the fact every man and his dog has described Kennett's handling of the situation as utterly deplorable but you think he's a "genius", would have to be two of the funniest things I've ever read on PRE !
Your mis quoting but that’s fine. I’ll leave you to your indulgence and we will see how it plays out.

Where have I mis quoted you ?
Do you not think if Clarkson ends up coaching next year at another club and the Hawks have to pay him a reduced amount that it is a good result for the hawks? And by extension that Kennett should be congratulated if that is the result.

Do you think Clarkson has the Hawks on the verge of success with the list he has assembled over the last 5 years? I personally think they have one of the worst lists going around from a future perspective. They haven't drafted well and don't have a super hand in the 2021 draft considering their position.

The end of long term coaching tenures is never easy. I don't think we have all the info yet to judge if he has been treated poorly as yet. (Caro probably does). Look at how Sheedy/Malthouse left their clubs. The club is always more important than the individual.

The end of long term coaching tenures is never easy. I don't think we have all the info yet to judge if he has been treated poorly as yet. (Caro probably does). Look at how Sheedy/Malthouse left their clubs. The club is always more important than the individual.

She does. Listen to the Realfooty podcast this week and she and Sam/Jake give a whole lot more info on the inept handling of this by Kennett and Hawthorn this week. Whoever her sources are there, they are good and they are still feeding the info.

Agree the end of coaching tenures is always a challenge and often messy, so Hawthorn aren't alone in that.

Do you not think if Clarkson ends up coaching next year at another club and the Hawks have to pay him a reduced amount that it is a good result for the hawks? And by extension that Kennett should be congratulated if that is the result.

Do you think Clarkson has the Hawks on the verge of success with the list he has assembled over the last 5 years? I personally think they have one of the worst lists going around from a future perspective. They haven't drafted well and don't have a super hand in the 2021 draft considering their position.

Ok. So I didn’t mis quote you. I don’t mind debating with you the fact me and the free world think Kennett totally stuffed this up v you thinking he was a genius and should be lauded, but going forward it would be greatly appreciated if you could stop making stuff up. Thanks.

Now here’s another question you have failed to answer but goes to the very heart of matters. Let’s try it one more time.

If Kennett was such a “genius” and should be “lauded,”, why didn’t the genius go to Clarkson and negotiate a mutually agreeable pay out weeks ago instead of the farcical shenanigans that ensued and resultant furore ?

Why didn’t the genius get this done weeks ago without all of this completely unnecessary fallout MD ? Why ?

As for all the other stuff about lists, recruiting etc I couldn’t give a rats about that. Nor even if Hawthorn want Clarkson to be coach or not. I’m more interested in the gloriously incompetent way Hawthorn and Kennett handled everything.

Ok. So I didn’t mis quote you. I don’t mind debating with you the fact me and the free world think Kennett totally stuffed this up v you thinking he was a genius and should be lauded, but going forward it would be greatly appreciated if you could stop making stuff up. Thanks.

Now here’s another question you have failed to answer but goes to the very heart of matters. Let’s try it one more time.

If Kennett was such a “genius” and should be “lauded,”, why didn’t the genius go to Clarkson and negotiate a mutually agreeable pay out weeks ago instead of the farcical shenanigans that ensued and resultant furore ?

Why didn’t the genius get this done weeks ago without all of this completely unnecessary fallout MD ? Why ?

As for all the other stuff about lists, recruiting etc I couldn’t give a rats about that. Nor even if Hawthorn want Clarkson to be coach or not. I’m more interested in the gloriously incompetent way Hawthorn and Kennett handled everything.
You’ve left out the circumstances under which I wrote he would be lauded as a genius - ie if Clarkson coaches elsewhere next year and the hawks payout is significantly reduced. A win for the hawks if that happens. Lets see how it plays out over the next few months.

You’ve left out the circumstances under which I wrote he would be lauded as a genius - ie if Clarkson coaches elsewhere next year and the hawks payout is significantly reduced. A win for the hawks if that happens. Lets see how it plays out over the next few months.

So what ? If he coaches elsewhere next year what on earth does that have to do with the shambolic exercise that we’ve seen play out over the last few weeks ? Absolutely nothing. The soft cap offset was always available to Kennett. Always.

Answer the question MD. Why didn’t the “genius” negotiate a payout exit for Clarkson weeks ago instead of the totally unnecessary farce and fallout that ensued ?

Answer the question MD.

Fact is you can’t or won’t, because you know, as Jason Dunstall said, that’s what Kennett “the genius” should have done all along.

Last edited:
Personally i reckon the Smurf Clarkson is over rated and overplayed by the media.
He inherited a club with Hodge Franklin Lewis Mitchell Roughhead and lekkas.
His last 5 years at hawthorn shows up exactly what he is like.
A really poor developer, very reliant on players from other clubs and a bloke that dosent like draft.
The media when they win 'Smurf is a genius' but when they lose and now they lose often, total silence.
Hardwick is a better coach. took a side that would've struggled in the VFL to 7 finals series and to 3 gorgeous shinny Cups.
Clubs are dumb and now some stupid incompetent board will make the decision to go after Clarkson.
Clarkson will join Malthouse @Carlton, Worsfold @Essendon, Jeans @Richmond , Pagan @Carlton , Barassi @Sydney, Blight @Stkilda, Walls @Richmond.
All on the scrap heap.
Recycled successful coaches in the AFL don't work. It's not the premier league where money buys you success, same in the NBL.
Get the Man city coach at Burnley and see how many trophies they win.
Carlton need a real coach like McCrae, knights or Leppa, Collingwood the same.
Not Yze what a dud.

Last edited:
Do we know for a fact that the Hawks payout is reduced dollar for dollar by what Clarkson earns next year? is it what he earns coaching, or any other job?
Should I be reading Wilson's articles to know the truth?

If it is dollar for dollar why would Clarkson ask for anything more than a token amount from his next job? (If he gets one.)

Do we know for a fact that the Hawks payout is reduced dollar for dollar by what Clarkson earns next year? is it what he earns coaching, or any other job?
Should I be reading Wilson's articles to know the truth?

If it is dollar for dollar why would Clarkson ask for anything more than a token amount from his next job? (If he gets one.)
Exactly, Brodders169GamesPlayed. Why disadvantage your new club's soft cap?