classy, skilled, small, FAST draft prospects | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

classy, skilled, small, FAST draft prospects

ToraToraTora said:
What are Pickett's foot skills like bs?

Generally outstanding, can kick on both sides and has a knack of weighting his kicks to perfection. He has a handy range of about 50 metres, something which could improve given he appears to pack some muscle in the rump area (Leysy would approve I think). Due to his outstanding agility, very few of his kicks are rushed, he has that rare quality of finding time and space in heavy traffic. At full pace he is also deadly, this is perhaps his greatest quality and is something which will give him extra brownie points with recruiters. The key to his draft position will ultimately come down to his tank, let's not forget what he's up against, guys like Billy Hartung & Bradley Hill were absolute freaks with their pace & endurance, just where he sits in the pecking order will be crucial.

bullus_hit said:
Generally outstanding, can kick on both sides and has a knack of weighting his kicks to perfection. He has a handy range of about 50 metres, something which could improve given he appears to pack some muscle in the rump area (Leysy would approve I think). Due to his outstanding agility, very few of his kicks are rushed, he has that rare quality of finding time and space in heavy traffic. At full pace he is also deadly, this is perhaps his greatest quality and is something which will give him extra brownie points with recruiters. The key to his draft position will ultimately come down to his tank, let's not forget what he's up against, guys like Billy Hartung & Bradley Hill were absolute freaks with their pace & endurance, just where he sits in the pecking order will be crucial.

I'd love Pickett at Tigerland but sadly think we're no chance having finished above WC. He's perfect for them.

Stylo said:
I'd love Pickett at Tigerland but sadly think we're no chance having finished above WC. He's perfect for them.

Could be the case, given they prefer home grown talent Pickett presents as a likely alternative.

Best way to land the guy we need is to TRADE for a better pick ).Common Tigers grow some and do it ..

gutfull said:
Best way to land the guy we need is to TRADE for a better pick ).Common Tigers grow some and do it ..

Not sure this is the draft to do it. We can get what we need at our pick. The top 5 are dominated by KP's. The only player I'd trade up to get would be Angus Brayshaw. Another Ollie Wines. AB will be in a leadership group within 3 years. But we would need to trade into the top 4. With Melbourne getting two picks in the top 4, I think they will grab Brayshaw & Petracca. You've built a midfield. Two A graders. I think Roos will tray and get clever and trade a pick for a player that can help right away. But for us, no need to trade up.

SCOOP said:
Not sure this is the draft to do it. We can get what we need at our pick. The top 5 are dominated by KP's. The only player I'd trade up to get would be Angus Brayshaw. Another Ollie Wines. AB will be in a leadership group within 3 years. But we would need to trade into the top 4. With Melbourne getting two picks in the top 4, I think they will grab Brayshaw & Petracca. You've built a midfield. Two A graders. I think Roos will tray and get clever and trade a pick for a player that can help right away. But for us, no need to trade up.
They could have already had Wines. Monumental *smile* up by them.

They could have nailed their midfield for the next 10 years. Viney, Wines, Tyson, Petracca and possibly Brayshaw.

Smoking Aces said:
They could have already had Wines. Monumental *smile* up by them.

They could have nailed their midfield for the next 10 years. Viney, Wines, Tyson, Petracca and possibly Brayshaw.

The real head scratcher is that Viney & Wines are best mates. They wanted to be together.

Mark Neeld overruled Todd Viney and told him to pick Jimmy Toumpas.

They just have to keep it simple. Take the mids.

SCOOP said:
The real head scratcher is that Viney & Wines are best mates. They wanted to be together.

Mark Neeld overruled Todd Viney and told him to pick Jimmy Toumpas.

They just have to keep it simple. Take the mids.
Really? Neeld did a number on that football club.

Neeld was going to make Melbourne "the toughest team to play against" by recruiting a soft outside player instead of a power athlete inside beast.

Now little Jack Vineyards (all 178cm of him) will break himself trying to be that beast.

Fwiw, I don't think Melbourne will get tier one compo for Frawley. End of first round pick.

spook said:
Neeld was going to make Melbourne "the toughest team to play against" by recruiting a soft outside player instead of a power athlete inside beast.

Now little Jack Vineyards (all 178cm of him) will break himself trying to be that beast.

Fwiw, I don't think Melbourne will get tier one compo for Frawley. End of first round pick.

I hope so, theres no way any club would trade a top 3 pick for him, and that for me shows why they shouldn't get a top 3 pick for him.

spook said:

That's where the compensation should be but if they do I suspect the AFL might also consider a PP for them.

Gus said:
That's where the compensation should be but if they do I suspect the AFL might also consider a PP for them.
The AFL needs to remember Melbourne effectively has a No.1 pick in Hogan waiting in the wings. I think they'll deny them the PP but find a way to justify band one compo for Frawley.

Now, Gus, quite a while back you asked for posters' top 10 draft predictions and Scoop and I had a crack but what we really want is yours, mate!

spook said:
The AFL needs to remember Melbourne effectively has a No.1 pick in Hogan waiting in the wings. I think they'll deny them the PP but find a way to justify band one compo for Frawley.

Now, Gus, quite a while back you asked for posters' top 10 draft predictions and Scoop and I had a crack but what we really want is yours, mate!

This year mine won't be too far off what is being reported but it comes down to the combine results. I'm also not that interested in which club takes what players but as a rough guide I'd currently have:

1) McCartin (depending on a couple of things)
2) Wright
3) Petracca
4) Brayshaw
5) Lever
6) Durdin
7) Laverde
8) Marchbank
9) Ahern
10) Goddard

I would have rated Heeney and Moore in the top 10.

Gus said:
This year mine won't be too far off what is being reported but it comes down to the combine results. I'm also not that interested in which club takes what players but as a rough guide I'd currently have:

2) Wright
3) Petracca
4) Brayshaw
5) Lever
6) Durdin
7) Laverde
8) Marchbank
9) Ahern
10) Goddard

Always interested in your thoughts Gus. Sooo... do you recon it is worth the RFC grabbing J. Pickett in the draft, or going with one of the last couple you mention?

Gus said:

2) Wright
3) Petracca
4) Brayshaw
5) Lever
6) Durdin
7) Laverde
8) Marchbank
9) Ahern
10) Goddard

Why is Moore not in your top 10 then as Collingwood have a top 10 pick?

Gus said:

2) Wright
3) Petracca
4) Brayshaw
5) Lever
6) Durdin
7) Laverde
8) Marchbank
9) Ahern
10) Goddard

If that's how it pans out then we'll probably be left with Weller as the most likely, Pickett to West Coast seems odds on and I'm tipping Melbourne will get another priority pick. Not the end of the world but it still leaves us short of a pacy line breaker. Menadue a possible second round option perhaps.

Liam Duggan ,if he's still there,will be a tiger.
I would think Paul Ahern would be just ahead of Duggan ,so if Ahern is still available it would be him.

Duggan has lot's of upside ,great user by foot .

bengal-tiger said:
Liam Duggan ,if he's still there,will be a tiger.
I would think Paul Ahern would be just ahead of Duggan ,so if Ahern is still available it would be him.

Duggan has lot's of upside ,great user by foot .

Seems your a fan Bengal, one thing that concerns me with Duggan is when the clamps have been put on, his output has been halved, usually taking the team down with him. I certainly don't expect youngsters to be all conquering against taggers but the ones who tend to succeed are those with an accomplished inside game. It may be that he lands at a club with elite talent at the top, in which case he may avoid the attention. On the other hand, he may suffer in the same way as a player like Andrew Gaff. I think much will come down to his tank, if he's not in the Brandon Ellis or Steele Sidebottom class for aerobic capacity then it's a big pass from me.

K3 said:
Always interested in your thoughts Gus. Sooo... do you recon it is worth the RFC grabbing J. Pickett in the draft, or going with one of the last couple you mention?

I struggle with what position Pickett can play in the senior level. I think we could do better than Pickett but he is a very good player.

mrposhman said:
Why is Moore not in your top 10 then as Collingwood have a top 10 pick?

As I have already stated my top 10 isn't about which players will go to which clubs