Clinton King | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Clinton King

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
As newly elected president of the Clinton King fan club I feel it's my duty to say a word for him.

Last night Kingy wasn't our best player by a long shot but.......

For all the people who single Clinton out to bag and call for him to be dropped....

Last night Kingy had stats of 7 kicks and 5 handballs. More importantly he drove the ball into the 50 3 times and had 4 clearances.

Compare that to a couple of other players
-Leon 1 kick, 4 handballs.
-Fiora 2 kicks and 6 handballs. Once into 50.
-Rodan 6 kicks 3 handballs. Once into 50.
-Rory 6 first half kicks then didn't touch the ball again.

Kingy is probably approaching the end of his career. He's probably only in the team due to other players injuries.
At least despite his body that is physically handicapped for modern AFL the guy has a real crack.
A pity a few others didn't have his heart.
Clinton wouldn't be the first player I dropped back to Coburg for a run.
He'll go back as players return from injury.
There are a few regulars in our top 22 who probably won't, but maybe a trip to Coburg might remind them that playing senior footy has to be earned not taken for granted.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Clinton King is simply and plainly not good enough - that is why he should be dropped and delisted - no other reason required. Don't care how much he tries he is not good enough - simple. We can't build a successful club with players whose only attribute is that they try. And at the moment we've still got too many of those players. Rogers is another obvious example.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Yeah interesting Harry.
I know I'm swimming against the tide here.
We're very short of players and a few aren't earning their keep.
If a player like Kingy can keep their spot warm while they go back to Coburg and be reminded of what's expected of them in the long run wouldn't we be a better team?

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
I have to go with Harry on this one. Poor Kingy is simply not good enough and IMO is a prime example how our poor recruiting has hurt the side over the last few years.

I do wish that others in the side showed the same level of commitment as King.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
TigerFurious said:
Poor Kingy is simply not good enough and IMO is a prime example how our poor recruiting has hurt the side over the last few years.

Agree 100% but we can't do much about that poor recruiting now can we.
You guys keep mentioning it but it's not going to change until the end of the year.
It's past history that we're stuck with.
Until then it's about using what we have available to get the team performing the best we can.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Rosy - commitment is important I agree - but you need other ingredients IMO such as physical attributes and talent. Kingy sadly lacks these other attributes. When this is realised the club has to bite the bullet and not persist with such a player.

I keep mentioning his name but why not give hyde a go. Look at Newman - he didn't set the world on fire at Coburg but he has become one of our better and more consistent players. Give him a go - 2-3 games and then assess him - if he isn't up to it then dump him - IMO everyone deserves a go. I agree with Rosy - some regulars need reminding of whats required by going to coburg - why not give Hyde his opportunity.

Its as if we've got a few players on the list whose only purpose is to be demoted and promoted each week - such as King and biddiscombe. We all know they have no future at RFC so why persist ?

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Ok out of interest what would you guys choose in this scenario?

Say 2 players could have been dropped last week. Clinton King or Kayne Pettifer.

Kings career is almost over, he probably won't feature in the team in years to come.

Pettifer is a young kid who the club (not me) has big hopes for in the future. He's had a sustained period of very few touches and sub standard form.

Wouldn't the current team (not talking about future here) benefit from playing someone like King while Pettifer goes back to get some touch.

Would have made stuff all difference last night, in fact Kingy probably did more than Pettifer would have.

But if it helps make Pettifer a player of the future I can live with Kingy playing for a game or two.

I'm not going into the Hydes and Mills Schulz, McGraths either.
I don't know why they're not selected, I'm only going on the players the club is using.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Rosy - I wouldn't choose either King or Pettifer. I would leave Pettifer at Coburg for 5 games before even considering giving him a go.

If I were spud ATM (for last nights game) I would not persist with King, Rogers and Vardy. Fiora and Hilton would also be on the verge but I would give them one more game. Fleming is in the same boat also. For the 3 I mentioned I would have had Schulz, McGrath and Hyde in the team (from players currently injury free). I would play these guys on and off the bench to ease them into the big time. I would assess what they are offering and this would indicate to me whether they have got what it takes. If they are not performing its back to coburg. If they are showing good signs I would give them more game time. This is when you should be trying out new things, when we have injuries, because once we get these guys back, there is no chance.

For me ATM King, Pettifer, Biddiscombe, Rogers are definates for Coburg. Vardy, Hilton, Fiora, Fleming are right behind them.

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
Frawley, Frawley, wherefore art thou a spud? (Why are you such a spud Danny?)

Frawley said "oh there's just too many passengers in the side". NO *smile* EINSTEIN!!! WE KNOW THAT THERE ARE PASSENGERS, ITS YOUR *smile* JOB TO MAKE SURE THERE AREN'T ANY!!!!!!

Did he expect Rogers, King, Fiora, Vardy, Hilton and Houlihan to contribute? People have been crying out for the likes of Shulz, Hyde and McGrath to be given a go, but spud just keeps on rotating King Vardy etc with potatoes like Pettifer and Biddiscombe. If players have no future at Richmond but still contrinbute each week then ok, i can understand the logic of persisting with them. But why when they fail week in week out?

Don't be surprised if Frawley pulls out his ace of spuds next week and unleashes the fury of Mills into the seniors. Expect McGrath to get a game in about 3 years time when he is used to playing at the level of the seconds and then struggles in the firsts and is given the boot.

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
I jsut want to make the *smile* finals and if Clinton King is playing good footy and will help us get there he deserves a spot./ He did used to be a useful part of our midfield and if he can regain that touch again (he is showing good signs) then it can only benefit the team. As you said it cant hurt blokes and their futures to have to earn a spot at Coburg rather than given a charity spot. Trust me through my sporting career i have always prospered better when i have had to bide time lower grades pressing hard for selection rather than jsut getting a spot because of my talent. Earning the spot not only gives you confidence in your own ability to match it, it also benefits the team as a whole as they all know they have to play good footy every week.

Fiora and Hilton should go before King.

mongrel_punt

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Mar 4, 2003
Hawthorn
Shawry, I'm with you. At current King is definately in the best 22 and if he has to play for the Tigers to make the finals - so be it. The selection committee did the right thing by playing him.

I'd be damned proud if the Tiges are one of only two Victorian sides to make the 8 and if they play at the 'G' anything is possible.

I watched Coburg yesterday, and there is no-one better to come up. King is the best option - unfortunate, but true. Next week we will regain Campbell - so someone has to get dropped.

There were a lot of passengers on Saturday, and King wasn't one of them. He'd be unlucky to be dropped, but if he is, it isn't for not having a crack, nor should they rule him out in further selection meetings.

T

tiga chikk

i hate to admit it but id rather see Fiora or Rory get dropped.

Kings heartd in the right place and what i saw on saturday night apart from the one goal from Fiora, Rory or Aarons didnt have their hearts in the game at all

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
I agree on dropping Fiora, Hilton and some others. But don't you people understand that King played his best game on sat night, which was very very ordinary if you ask me. This in contrast to what is required is no where good enough. He can't play any better than that as the guy is limited. Can't kick, is slow, can't tackle etc. - drop him and may he never return. He can take a few of his buddies on the way.

tiga

New RFC fitness regime under Wallace
Apr 28, 2003
Blue Mountains NSW
As I said in my review, Hilton should be the first to go! At least Kingy is having a crack. Sure he's not the most gifted footballer in the world but at least his attitude is right unlike Rory "where am I" Hilton.

dimmauchamp

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2003
JohnF

Couldnt of said it better myself!!!! You guys are really living in fairy land!!!! I dont care where kingys heart is, THE MAN CANT PLAY FOOTY!!!! SIMPLE AS THAT!!! Now on the fiora and hilton issue, how about asking what position these guys have to play????? How about they dont know either!!! They need to be given a set position for 7-8 weeks and im sure they will come good!!! When you play one week here one there how the heck do you adapt and start playing some good confident footy!!!! Fiora is a prime example of been put back forward and bench every ten minutes!!!! You cant do that!!! Look at the likes of newman, zantuck, coughlan!!! They were given a position and a job to do and they have become instant successes!! You guys are all about having a go and a heart!!! Well unfortunately that dont win you premierships!!! Look at brisbane and see why!!! Bring in hyde, mcgrath, schulz, even mills and give them a fair run!!! Not 5 minutes on 30 minutes off!!! I remember coughlan playing a couple of years ago in the seniors for 5 minute bursts!!! He looked very ordinary!!! Give him some serious game time and a chance to prove himself and he becomes one of the best midfielders going around on current form!!! Wake up frawley and selection committee!!! If you persist with king than im sure you can persist with hyde who atleast has some dash!!!!

The Boss

Tiger Superstar
Apr 7, 2003
FUD, I do agree on one of your points when you say that Fiora and Hilton should play in one position and be left there rather then playing back one week, then forward the other week and spending alot of time on the bench. These are 2 guys who if they keep playing poorly will IMO be traded at seasons end. I believe Fiora should be played on a wing/HBF and Hilton on a wing/HFF.

Disagree about playing Hyde who in my opinion is the worst player on the list. For a player who plays on the ball he has no more then a dozen possesions a game, has ordninary skills and is basicaly a dud. In all honesty I think i would prefer King to play ahead of him that's how bad i think he is!!! Mills too has had chances and IMO has poor skills and I question his fitness also. These 2 guys will definately be delisted IMO at seasons end.

Now McGrath and Schulz are clearly not ready for senior footy. McGrath does not do enough for Coburg at present and needs to string together a couple of BOGs before he is even considered for selection. HIs screamers are great but he needs to do a lot more as he goes missing for 70% of the Coburg games. Schulz is only 18 and will be a good player in the future but needs to learn more about the game while playing for Coburg.

tiga

New RFC fitness regime under Wallace
Apr 28, 2003
Blue Mountains NSW
FUD, Hilton has had plenty of opportunities and plenty of gametime in various positions. Sure, Fiora may benefit from more gametime but your reply reeks of your common theme that the coach sux and is not playing players in their correct positions. I know you're entitled to your opinion but its like listening to the telephone time..."At the 3rd stroke, it is time to sack Danny.....At the 3rd stroke, it is time to sack Danny"

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
TB and FuD
FUD, I do agree on one of your points when you say that Fiora and Hilton should play in one position and be left there rather then playing back one week, then forward the other week and spending alot of time on the bench. These are 2 guys who if they keep playing poorly will IMO be traded at seasons end. I believe Fiora should be played on a wing/HBF and Hilton on a wing/HFF.
Totally agree. But at times Hilton looks dis-interested. I wonder if he has gone back to the days of before Danny gave him a rev up for having a 'fat arse'. :-\

diggler

The Tigers Spine
Dec 18, 2002
My mate is close friends with someone on match committee and Fiora, Cameron, Hilton, Pettifer and Rodgers are skating on very thin ice. However, the problem is the options at Coburg are just not nearly good enough to replace them. Period.