Connors | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Connors

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
Herald Sun headlined him as an ex-star Tiger...wowsers
Wow!!! Just proves Richmond is bigger than the AFL. Usually if someone has just been on an list the headline reads “ Ex-AFL star” before naming the club in the article. This one actually names us in the headline :eek:

Reactions: 1 user

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
Well, here we go again.
Yet another Richmond player, or should say ex Richmond Player in big trouble.
Of course Dustin Martin had to be included in the report did he not?
No problem with the charges being laid, but wonder why Dusty has to be included in the report.
Remember that game a few years back “Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon”?
Replace Kevin Bacon with Dustin Martin
I‘ll start.
Vladimir Putin

Thats how the media seem to work don’t they?

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
Yeah, sometimes you can’t stop people meeting their destiny. Doesn’t make them bad people, just not doing the right things right now. Hopefully he turns it around. Connors was super popular amongst teammates. Hopefully those guys stick by him and help him through.
He was popular in terms of when he wasn’t drunk he was a pretty good fella, problem was he was drunk a lot. However his laziness with his footy and being given plenty of chances despite constantly stuffing up got a lot of his team mates offside. Player I know from that time said there weren’t many tears shed when he was cut by the wider playing group.

Reactions: 2 users

Tames

Tiger Superstar
Apr 3, 2005
Melbourne
He didn't play many games, but Connors had plenty of talent. Always thought he'd make it, but off field woes just got in the way.

Hopefully sorts out his issues with some help and works his way through it.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Connors was super popular amongst teammates.

I wouldn’t know about his teammates, but I can remember him running a junior clinic before a preseason game in Perth. Was the year Cousins joined us IIRC.

He was fantastic with the kids who attended. Engaging and encouraging, just a naturally charismatic guy. As a parent I was really impressed.

I still can’t quite believe that the Dan Connors who got sacked by the club and has had some serious misdemeanours since, is the same person from that clinic.

Reactions: 1 users

DuD_Delist

Tiger Superstar
Sep 30, 2014
Dusty sells papers and generates clicks. As does the names Richmond and Tigers. This isn't a vendetta again RFC. It's about generating as much revenue as possible for Mr Murdoch.
The term "star" is overused in society. Matt Renshaw was reported in a headline as "Australian Cricketing Star has COVID". He's lucky to be in the side.
Star, pfffft
You only have to look at the small promotional pics they do about an article on afl in general.99% of the time it shows Dusty.Not Petracca or Bont.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Yeah, sometimes you can’t stop people meeting their destiny. Doesn’t make them bad people, just not doing the right things right now. Hopefully he turns it around. Connors was super popular amongst teammates. Hopefully those guys stick by him and help him through.
You’re way off here.
Conners is rotten to the core. Tied up heavily with the Sam Fisher drug debacle too.
He’s turned into a cancer and you don’t want him anywhere near our players.

Reactions: 6 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I am always sad when I see people wasting their life and this is no different. I guess when that person had a way of making something of themselves it seems more of a waste and Connors certainly had that.

Every now and again we saw his talent shine and the overwhelming feeling when I think of those times is sadness but in the end he has made his choices. I hope he can turn his life around for his own sake.

As far as Dusty goes in the end he is an example of someone who chose a different path despite a troubled upbringing and youth. In that context he is a good news story. Even this week Kane Cornes is saying "does Dusty really want to play AFL footy in 2023" as one of the big stories of the coming season. When I see stuff like that my overwhelming feeling is that I hope he uses it as fuel for a stellar 2023.

Reactions: 6 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
The first name association that came to me about Dan Connors was Ben Cousins.
That's right. Cousins knocked him out didn't he?

Real sliding doors this one.
The 'sleeping tablet' incident was about the time Dusty was lying down with dogs. It could have been so different.
Was soo happy when Connors was punted from the club. The rest is as they say history.

Reactions: 1 users

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
Even this week Kane Cornes is saying "does Dusty really want to play AFL footy in 2023" as one of the big stories of the coming season. When I see stuff like that my overwhelming feeling is that I hope he uses it as fuel for a stellar 2023.
I'd be surprised if Dustin could give a "smile" as to anything that a nuffy like Cornes would think.

I've got a really good feeling about 2023 for our Dusty. We've got a couple of really good recruits in the guts, which will allow him more freedom to roam and do his thing. He's still got it. The first half he played before doing his hammy was as good as we've seen in a while. Keep fit and he's still such a weapon :cool:

Reactions: 2 users

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
You’re way off here.
Conners is rotten to the core. Tied up heavily with the Sam Fisher drug debacle too.
He’s turned into a cancer and you don’t want him anywhere near our players.
Don't like seeing someone labelled as "rotten to the core". What do we know about his upbringing, childhood, family life, teenage associations, etc.? Has he ever had counselling or guidance to help him get over his issues that prevent him from leading a more productive life with a good job, healthy relationships, law-abiding citizen, etc. Once people get into the world of drug-taking, big money from selling drugs, friendships within that world, etc., it is extremely hard to break away from it. If he wants to it can be done but he needs expert assistance. Apparently Ben cousins has now turned his life around which is good to see but it will be a lifelong journey for him to keep on the right track.

Reactions: 3 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Don't like seeing someone labelled as "rotten to the core". What do we know about his upbringing, childhood, family life, teenage associations, etc.? Has he ever had counselling or guidance to help him get over his issues that prevent him from leading a more productive life with a good job, healthy relationships, law-abiding citizen, etc. Once people get into the world of drug-taking, big money from selling drugs, friendships within that world, etc., it is extremely hard to break away from it. If he wants to it can be done but he needs expert assistance. Apparently Ben cousins has now turned his life around which is good to see but it will be a lifelong journey for him to keep on the right track.
So it’s not too late for Trump or Putin?
How about people taking responsibility for their own actions rather than blaming other people or personal circumstances?
I know a lot of great people who had very rough upbringings and similarly many *smile* blokes who have had everything served to them on a platter.
Teach your kids about taking responsibility and resilience. It’s the best thing you can do for them

Reactions: 3 users

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Herald Sun headlined him as an ex-star Tiger...wowsers

FWIW, the West Australian is reporting on ex-Carlton star Steven Browne's boat getting surrounding by Sharks.

Remember him? 23 games across a career that spanned 2008-2010.

They must have been good games, but I just can't seem to recall him.

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
There's lots of stars in the sky, some of them aren't very bright, just like some AFL players.