Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
so heaps of people went to Bondi Beach and the govt goes 'Bondi Beach is closed'

and heaps of people went to st.kilda beach, so the govt goes 'Melbourne beaches are closed'

and heaps of people went to torquay, and the govt goes 'Victoria beaches; closed'

which part of Australians Are Sh!t at SELF-isolating dont the governments get?

lock the joint down FFS. take the SELF out of it, and lets get this *smile* of a thing over with.

so we can watch the footy again

Reactions: 2 users
B

Bill James

Age and sex demographics of the NSW cases. Certainly not just an old man's disease, unless all the old men have girlfriends in their 20s
View attachment 9675
Thats the thing with proportions (percentages) they are often not a good measure. Lets say you do a very good job at stopping old people getting COVID, which is what we are trying to do. The percentages still have to add up to 100, where are they going to be if they are not in the old people.

But in this case its even simpler. 1000 of the cases are repatriated so are going to be biased to those young and fit enough to be working/travelling overseas.

Show me this table when most of our infections are locally transmitted and see what it looks like.

In the meantime look at cases per 100,000 of population in each demographic and compare them to like countries and see how we stackup.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
There is a rather large flaw with the change that allows people to withdraw some of their super. It means the super funds will have to sell assets to get the liquidity to pay funds out, sell assets when the value of assets has fallen. Not a good plan.

DS

Reactions: 1 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
There is a rather large flaw with the change that allows people to withdraw some of their super. It means the super funds will have to sell assets to get the liquidity to pay funds out, sell assets when the value of assets has fallen. Not a good plan.

DS

I thought the same.

but im still gonna cash out $10K and put it into rum and cash

cause its all relative. our super is worth half as much, but so will rent, houses, financial advise, real estate commissions, Instagram influence and pubic waxing be pretty shortly

Last edited:

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
Gawd, it's teach economics time now I suppose.

You do know what an oligopolistic market is I presume, you have seen what this does to demand and supply curves (hint: they go up the vertical axis which is price). Most markets are oligopolies and our utility markets are definitely oligopolies. There is always tacit collusion in an oligopoly, or price leadership by one or a few firms.

The utility companies will try and profit as much as they can from this situation, just like the health providers in the US are. In doing so the opposite of what you say will happen: consumers won't get a better deal, they will get screwed.

Get out of your free market lala land and look at the real world.

DS
You don’t know the first thing about economics David so save the lesson.

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
Covid-3.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003

DS
Also before the market crashed someone who had say, 10,000 Units at $2 a Unit meaning their Super was worth $20,000 will now find that the Unit price has fallen, and they will have to sell a lot more Units to get the $10,000.

Edit

Which is probably what you are saying.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
so heaps of people went to Bondi Beach and the govt goes 'Bondi Beach is closed'

and heaps of people went to st.kilda beach, so the govt goes 'Melbourne beaches are closed'

and heaps of people went to torquay, and the govt goes 'Victoria beaches; closed'

which part of Australians Are Sh!t at SELF-isolating dont the governments get?

lock the joint down FFS. take the SELF out of it, and lets get this **** of a thing over with.

so we can watch the footy again

The mixed messages from the Governmet don't help.

On one hand they're saying you can go to the shops..on the other you can't go to the beach?

Seriously if they're concerned about it just stop mucking about & shut it all down for a period of time.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Reckon border security will never be the same after this is over.
Likely quarantine will become a major part of international travel.
The days of freely jet setting around the world are done sadly for coming generations.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
The days of freely jet setting around the world are done sadly for coming generations.
Nah!
With so much international travel being done these days nearly every body's got the same germs n cooties all over the world, n if we haven't it'll only take a week or two to share them anyway.
Won't belong before there's absolutely no point to quarantines anywhere.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Case count excluding China (updated @ midnight)

599,257 cases
28,620 deaths (4.78%)
24,680 severe (4%)
475,009 mild (79%)
70,948 recovered (12%)

USA 250 -> 2,000 deaths in a week
Italy +900 -> 10,000 deaths
Spain +800 -> 6,000 deaths
UK +260 (34%) -> 1000 deaths

Last edited:

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Sorry you said excluding China

Will add China back in at some stage, when 80K becomes insignificant. For the purposes of tracking the spread, it’s been practical to regard China as a separate statistical population since they claimed to have it under control just as it was taking off in the rest of the world.

Jake

Tiger Superstar
Apr 2, 2005
Will add China back in at some stage, when 80K becomes insignificant. For the purposes of tracking the spread, it’s been practical to regard China as a separate statistical population since they claimed to have it under control just as it was taking off in the rest of the world.

Fair enough.

Tiger Rob

Tiger Superstar
Jul 30, 2009
Hobart
There are some amazing differences between countries

for instance from the WHO site https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/situation-reports

Italy 86498 cases with 9136 deaths
Germany 48582 cases with 325 deaths

There may be lots of reasons for this but it seems like not allowing your health system to be overwhelmed is a key one
Yes, Spain and Italy have overwhelmed hospitals and of completed cases both have approx 55% recovered and 45% death. Rest of world where hospitals not overwhelmed (yet) Ratio is closer to 95/5.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Great to read another optimistic article from Jacqueline Maley. Whingeing about borders not being closed earlier, about the Ruby Princess disaster..great timing Jac. Would love to see the article you wrote back in Dec calling for tough border restrictions?

Just what we need right now, another hindsight genius.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019

I think a lot of things will never be the same olds

the optimist in me says a lot of the change will be positive.

useless tasks and things might disappear.

we might not be a giant sheltered workshop anymore. rats on a wheel, trying to keep the light globe of the economy bright.

now of course I understand people at the moment thinking

but it was good being a rat on a wheel. I could go to a cafe for thrice poached avocado eggs every morning and holiday to Bali twice a year.

There will be a shock. but I hope, and I reckon long term, we emerge from this with a slower, simpler, richer life.

I went down to our local tennis court yesterday and played a sundown 5 setter with eZJ (6-2, 6-0, 6-0 my way), and it occurred to me that I grew up playing epic matches with my bros and old man almost every night in daylight savings, but I hadn't done it for years. I was always too busy and tired, and my life wasn't even busy or tiring.

im as sore as *smile* today. tried to put a bit much on a couple of serves at break point down.

to varying degrees, aspects of the good old days that seemed historical relics, have returned in the blink of an eye

As you know, my positive projections need to be taken with a few grains of salt,

But I reckon we will be materially poorer for a fair while, but with richer lives.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Great to read another optimistic article from Jacqueline Maley. Whingeing about borders not being closed earlier, about the Ruby Princess disaster..great timing Jac. Would love to see the article you wrote back in Dec calling for tough border restrictions?

Just what we need right now, another hindsight genius.

You didn't need to be a hindsight genius for the Ruby Princess debacle, point taken on other matters.

Last edited: